So im giving away my Sony mdrv6's and i was wondering what is the best sound quality headphones i can get for under $100? i was looking at grado sr60s and seem like they are good. i listen to jazz, electronic, alternative stuff like radiohead. what do you think?
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH AD300tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 8/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- Quintessential Audiophile Headphone? Last post on 10/17/12 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Quest for best open headphones <200$ Last post on 9/23/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- All-round Open headphones for around $100 Last post on 7/30/12 at 5:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone with Large Soundstage Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- First foray into the audiophile world. I've read some recommendations, now I'm trying... Last post on 7/11/12 at 4:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
Forgive me in advance for this review won't be focused too much on the sound. From the little while that I was able to listen to these headphones, they sounded amazing. They had a neutral tone...
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 128/18/12 at 4:50pmpost #3 of 128/18/12 at 4:57pmpost #4 of 128/18/12 at 5:33pmpost #5 of 128/18/12 at 5:48pmThread Starterpost #6 of 128/18/12 at 5:55pm
I like the k240S which sounds fine out of my Sansa Clip+. I much prefer them over the v6 for most genres, but I've not listened to much electronica so hard for me to make a call with that genre. They're very good for rock and jazz, imo, especially with vocals. I don't notice much difference with an amp other than getting fairly close to max on the volume of the clip sometimes. They're not really that hard to drive at 55 ohms. In fact I'm fairly certain that AKG went from 600ohm inpedance down to 55ohms so they could be used out of portable devices without a dedicated amp.post #7 of 128/18/12 at 6:02pmpost #8 of 128/18/12 at 8:13pmThread StarterQuote:
I prefer semi open or open cause i tried the 555s and some other mediocre open headphones and I like the way it sounds much better than closed as closed feels like im listening in a studio. Why is there a problem with open headphones?post #9 of 128/18/12 at 8:16pmQuote:
I just wanted to point out that the K240S has a closed sound without much soundstage, so you can cross that one off your list. I would go with the Audio-Technica AD700.post #10 of 128/18/12 at 9:20pmQuote:
I never noticed that. I prefer it over some more expensive closed headphones because of the better sound stage. It's a huge improvement over the v6 and other closed phones, anyway.post #11 of 128/18/12 at 10:22pm
The soundstage is by no means bad, especially when compared to closed cans under $100. But it's definitely not on the same level as open cans. And aside from the soundstage, it still has that "closed" feel.
Keep in mind that Grados also sacrifice a lot of soundstage to give you that "front row" feel.post #12 of 128/18/12 at 10:34pm
- Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 second ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Having trouble choosing between a few different close-back phones... 49 seconds ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 5 minutes ago
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3