So im giving away my Sony mdrv6's and i was wondering what is the best sound quality headphones i can get for under $100? i was looking at grado sr60s and seem like they are good. i listen to jazz, electronic, alternative stuff like radiohead. what do you think?
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH AD300tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 8/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- Quintessential Audiophile Headphone? Last post on 10/17/12 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Quest for best open headphones <200$ Last post on 9/23/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- All-round Open headphones for around $100 Last post on 7/30/12 at 5:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone with Large Soundstage Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- First foray into the audiophile world. I've read some recommendations, now I'm trying... Last post on 7/11/12 at 4:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
I bought the S version that has standard 3.5mm TRS unbalanced plug. I didn't want to use the balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor that comes with the non-S version because my players would not have...
“First in last out!” While the above makes for an excellent military motto, it really sucks for an audio component reviewer. I must sincerely apologize to Rock Jaw, Rockbob, and the folks waiting...
Just some brief notes and impressions since no one else has put one up yet. Nice compact form. The little rubber cone feet are useless though and start wearing out. Surprisingly lightweight...
Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 128/18/12 at 4:50pmpost #3 of 128/18/12 at 4:57pmpost #4 of 128/18/12 at 5:33pmpost #5 of 128/18/12 at 5:48pmThread Starterpost #6 of 128/18/12 at 5:55pm
I like the k240S which sounds fine out of my Sansa Clip+. I much prefer them over the v6 for most genres, but I've not listened to much electronica so hard for me to make a call with that genre. They're very good for rock and jazz, imo, especially with vocals. I don't notice much difference with an amp other than getting fairly close to max on the volume of the clip sometimes. They're not really that hard to drive at 55 ohms. In fact I'm fairly certain that AKG went from 600ohm inpedance down to 55ohms so they could be used out of portable devices without a dedicated amp.post #7 of 128/18/12 at 6:02pmpost #8 of 128/18/12 at 8:13pmThread StarterQuote:
I prefer semi open or open cause i tried the 555s and some other mediocre open headphones and I like the way it sounds much better than closed as closed feels like im listening in a studio. Why is there a problem with open headphones?post #9 of 128/18/12 at 8:16pmQuote:
I just wanted to point out that the K240S has a closed sound without much soundstage, so you can cross that one off your list. I would go with the Audio-Technica AD700.post #10 of 128/18/12 at 9:20pmQuote:
I never noticed that. I prefer it over some more expensive closed headphones because of the better sound stage. It's a huge improvement over the v6 and other closed phones, anyway.post #11 of 128/18/12 at 10:22pm
The soundstage is by no means bad, especially when compared to closed cans under $100. But it's definitely not on the same level as open cans. And aside from the soundstage, it still has that "closed" feel.
Keep in mind that Grados also sacrifice a lot of soundstage to give you that "front row" feel.post #12 of 128/18/12 at 10:34pm
- Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Beyerdynamic T5p - Price Drop 23 seconds ago
- › Are we spoiled around here? 2 minutes ago
- › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... 3 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF180 Performance Series Impression&Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What IEM does $550 get me? 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)