So im giving away my Sony mdrv6's and i was wondering what is the best sound quality headphones i can get for under $100? i was looking at grado sr60s and seem like they are good. i listen to jazz, electronic, alternative stuff like radiohead. what do you think?
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH AD300tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 8/22/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/12
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 8/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- Quintessential Audiophile Headphone? Last post on 10/17/12 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Quest for best open headphones <200$ Last post on 9/23/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- All-round Open headphones for around $100 Last post on 7/30/12 at 5:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone with Large Soundstage Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- First foray into the audiophile world. I've read some recommendations, now I'm trying... Last post on 7/11/12 at 4:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 128/18/12 at 4:50pmpost #3 of 128/18/12 at 4:57pmpost #4 of 128/18/12 at 5:33pmpost #5 of 128/18/12 at 5:48pmThread Starterpost #6 of 128/18/12 at 5:55pm
I like the k240S which sounds fine out of my Sansa Clip+. I much prefer them over the v6 for most genres, but I've not listened to much electronica so hard for me to make a call with that genre. They're very good for rock and jazz, imo, especially with vocals. I don't notice much difference with an amp other than getting fairly close to max on the volume of the clip sometimes. They're not really that hard to drive at 55 ohms. In fact I'm fairly certain that AKG went from 600ohm inpedance down to 55ohms so they could be used out of portable devices without a dedicated amp.post #7 of 128/18/12 at 6:02pmpost #8 of 128/18/12 at 8:13pmThread StarterQuote:
I prefer semi open or open cause i tried the 555s and some other mediocre open headphones and I like the way it sounds much better than closed as closed feels like im listening in a studio. Why is there a problem with open headphones?post #9 of 128/18/12 at 8:16pmQuote:
I just wanted to point out that the K240S has a closed sound without much soundstage, so you can cross that one off your list. I would go with the Audio-Technica AD700.post #10 of 128/18/12 at 9:20pmQuote:
I never noticed that. I prefer it over some more expensive closed headphones because of the better sound stage. It's a huge improvement over the v6 and other closed phones, anyway.post #11 of 128/18/12 at 10:22pm
The soundstage is by no means bad, especially when compared to closed cans under $100. But it's definitely not on the same level as open cans. And aside from the soundstage, it still has that "closed" feel.
Keep in mind that Grados also sacrifice a lot of soundstage to give you that "front row" feel.post #12 of 128/18/12 at 10:34pm
- Best Semi open or open headphones for under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Upcoming Dedicated headphone amp release. 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor) 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...