Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Comparative review of the AMB Mini3 and the Miu Audio MRB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparative review of the AMB Mini3 and the Miu Audio MRB - Page 2

post #16 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Tilpo, tomorrow's tea will be in celebration of your contribution smiley_thumb.gif and the efforts it took. 

Which reminds me.

I forgot to clean out my tea equipment before I went on a vacation so there are a teeny tiny bit of... well... fungi. I'll clean it right now and enjoy a delicious cup of sencha right when my equipment is out of the dishwasher.
post #17 of 58

I salute you good sir. 

post #18 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplimentGuy View Post

I salute you good sir. 
You made an account just to compliment me?

I honestly feel flattered.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


You made an account just to compliment me?
I honestly feel flattered.

LOL, I just noticed that haha

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplimentGuy View Post

I salute you good sir. 

"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet"

 

Now as complimentGuy, I Panda, deserve some compliments too!

post #20 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Now as complimentGuy, I Panda, deserve some compliments too!
No you don't.

I just gave you some about an hour ago about your adolescence. Pandas mustn't be spoiled.
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


No you don't.
I just gave you some about an hour ago about your adolescence. Pandas mustn't be spoiled.

Ok :( 

 

But I like being spoiled redface.gif

post #22 of 58

Oh wait, now I remember!  Tilpo, do you know if that hum in the Mini3 is a design characteristic or a defect of some kind?  I know it doesn't appear when a signal is present, but for me that would still annoy the crap out of me (personally).

 

And secondly, would you say that the MRB doesn't lack LF punch at all, or just not to the the degree that bowei006 noticed?

post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Oh wait, now I remember!  Tilpo, do you know if that hum in the Mini3 is a design characteristic or a defect of some kind?  I know it doesn't appear when a signal is present, but for me that would still annoy the crap out of me (personally).

 

And secondly, would you say that the MRB doesn't lack LF punch at all, or just not to the the degree that bowei006 noticed?

I wouldn't say lacks a punch, it just does it differently in a way that as an EDM lover, I don't prefer. The mid bass is not as tight as say an NFB or O2 and is a bit flat feeling(when I say flat, I mean it like Soda pop flat, not much..feeling,  not neutral flat) with sub bass that I can't agree with at all.

post #24 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Oh wait, now I remember!  Tilpo, do you know if that hum in the Mini3 is a design characteristic or a defect of some kind?  I know it doesn't appear when a signal is present, but for me that would still annoy the crap out of me (personally).

And secondly, would you say that the MRB doesn't lack LF punch at all, or just not to the the degree that bowei006 noticed?

I think it's a design characteristic, probably something to do with the active ground topology.
It's not that annoying in my opinion. Even when I have no signal playing for multiple minutes it doesn't particularly bother me.

I personally have not found any sound quality difference between the MRB and Mini3, so no defect in both either. As far as I'm concerned they're fully transparent. I don't think the MRB lacks punch at all, but it may just be me. That's why I found it worth noting Bowei's impressions in my review.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I think it's a design characteristic, probably something to do with the active ground topology.

 

Okay thanks!  I'm in the middle of an O2 build right now.  Just trying to see what I should line up next.  smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I wouldn't say lacks a punch, it just does it differently in a way that as an EDM lover, I don't prefer. The mid bass is not as tight as say an NFB or O2 and is a bit flat feeling(when I say flat, I mean it like Soda pop flat, not much..feeling,  not neutral flat) with sub bass that I can't agree with at all.

 

Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I personally have not found any sound quality difference between the MRB and Mini3, so no defect in both either. As far as I'm concerned they're fully transparent. I don't think the MRB lacks punch at all, but it may just be me. That's why I found it worth noting Bowei's impressions in my review.

 

Hmm, two contrasting impressions...  I probably don't want to go for both, so it looks like I have a decision to make.

post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Okay thanks!  I'm in the middle of an O2 build right now.  Just trying to see what I should line up next.  smile.gif

 

 

Hmm, two contrasting impressions...  I probably don't want to go for both, so it looks like I have a decision to make.

The DIY is $110-$120...and you have to build it yourself and it's not that powerful, there are better dedicated amps at this price.

post #27 of 58
Thread Starter 
For desktop usage I recon the O2 beats the Mini3. Because it has two batteries instead of one, is a little cheaper, easier to build, and doesn't have the weird hum issue I described (though it's only minor).
However, the Mini3 beats the O2 hands down for portable use because of it's smaller size.
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

For desktop usage I recon the O2 beats the Mini3. Because it has two batteries instead of one, is a little cheaper, easier to build, and doesn't have the weird hum issue I described (though it's only minor).
However, the Mini3 beats the O2 hands down for portable use because of it's smaller size.

The O2 isn't even really a portable unit? It's portable in that it COULDhave batteries in it, but it's already minimal size which is squarish and largeish and interface makes it not really a portable unit generally. The JDS labs isn't even portable either.

 

It's a desktop unit with option for batteries 

post #29 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

The O2 isn't even really a portable unit? It's portable in that it COULDhave batteries in it, but it's already minimal size which is squarish and largeish and interface makes it not really a portable unit generally. The JDS labs isn't even portable either.

It's a desktop unit with option for batteries 

I know. But the reason I mentioned the two batteries is because the O2 will have a twice as high power supply voltage, and hence more power.
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


I know. But the reason I mentioned the two batteries is because the O2 will have a twice as high power supply voltage, and hence more power.

¯\(°_o)/¯

 

I have a Custom O2 made for high performance desktop usage only. It has no batteries and uses the A/C. The powersupply is connected to my UPS and inverter.

 

I have actually rarely used my O2 on high gain :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Comparative review of the AMB Mini3 and the Miu Audio MRB