Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

My Sennheiser HD600's are my favorite headphones. I really like the way they sound. I have tried many other headphones and am surprised that nothing (so far) compares, especially considering my pair is pretty old. I did some searches and saw that people said the Hifiman HE-500's sound like the HD600's and would make a good upgrade. The problem is they are pretty expensive, more than I'd like to spend. Would the HE-400's be a good pair to try or would it be a sideways upgrade, in other words, a similar sounding headphone at roughly the same price point? Does it offer anything better than the HD600's, performance wise?

 

Thanks.


Edited by sygyzy - 8/17/12 at 10:15pm
post #2 of 33
Thread Starter 
Bump. Anyone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Bump. Anyone?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've never heard the planar magnetics but judging by the review.. I think you could expect more bass impact and extension. Soundstage wise, I think it's very possible that the HD600 might have a bigger soundstage but barely. The Hifiman cans should have more treble extension and quantity, and therefore have a more revealing and more fatiguing sound. 

 

But honestly, iono. Haha. I think it'll be more of a side-grade. 

post #4 of 33

Yes, definitely just get HE500 if you can afford, it's an upgrade over HD600 and HE400 in many ways.

 

I don't think you can appreciate HE400 well, as the midrange on them can get diffused in some ("many" for me) recordings. HE500 and HD600 have much better center focus.

post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Yes, definitely just get HE500 if you can afford, it's an upgrade over HD600 and HE400 in many ways.

 

I don't think you can appreciate HE400 well, as the midrange on them can get diffused in some ("many" for me) recordings. HE500 and HD600 have much better center focus.

 

If you ever try... How about HE6 compared to HE500, Bro? how much upgrade HE6 to HE500 or HE5LE (I have this one now)?

 

PS. Sorry sygyzy if I steal your thread...

post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1narso View Post

 

If you ever try... How about HE6 compared to HE500, Bro? how much upgrade HE6 to HE500 or HE5LE (I have this one now)?

 

PS. Sorry sygyzy if I steal your thread...

Hi, nice to see you here

 

I think HE6 with (very) propered amp is on different league than HE500, HE6 has more natural tonality (this factor is the one that really improve compare to HE500) with better extension both high and low.

 

Sorry never listened to HE5LE :)

post #7 of 33

I think the amount of it being an upgrade or sidegrade depends on how much you like/dislike its different sound signature.  That's what most upgrades are for people in the hobby is anyways, different sound signatures that they're drawn to.

 

Purely technically speaking, the HE-400 has way better bass extension and a better instrument separation, but I don't think it has the black background and smooth midrange response of the 600.

post #8 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I think the amount of it being an upgrade or sidegrade depends on how much you like/dislike its different sound signature.  That's what most upgrades are for people in the hobby is anyways, different sound signatures that they're drawn to.

 

Purely technically speaking, the HE-400 has way better bass extension and a better instrument separation, but I don't think it has the black background and smooth midrange response of the 600.

 

Fair enough. I'll toy with the AKG 701 and the Beyer DT 880 (600 ohm) cans and see how I like them.

post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Hi, nice to see you here

 

I think HE6 with (very) propered amp is on different league than HE500, HE6 has more natural tonality (this factor is the one that really improve compare to HE500) with better extension both high and low.

 

Sorry never listened to HE5LE :)

 

Thanks Bro..

 

Thanks sygyzy :)

post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

 

Fair enough. I'll toy with the AKG 701 and the Beyer DT 880 (600 ohm) cans and see how I like them.

The 701s and 880s sound so much more fatiguing than the HD600s... it's my # 1 complaint. 

post #11 of 33

From a guy who owns the HD600/650 and the HE-400/500, the HE-500 sounds more to my ears like a much more accurate and refined (slightly darker) HD 600.The HE-400 is a fantastic HP, it just does everything so well. The HE-400 does need a fairly powerful amp to reach its full potential despite the claims of not needing much power. I was always a big fan of the HD-600 and it was one of my go-to cans when sampling new music because of the neutrality and the balance.  After my purchase of the HE-400 I really have not touched the HD600 or the 650. The HE-400  is like the jack of all trades HP, it is bass heavy or bass light , has  sparkling highs or slightly dark depending on the track. It actually sounds to my ears like a mix of the HD600 and the 650.

post #12 of 33

Really anyone who likes the 600, likes it for its awesome mids which is lacking in a lot of other phones. What would one expect to hear in the mids switching from the 600 to the HE400? Any other description besides dark? To me, when I hear "dark", I think of recessed or lacking detail.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

From a guy who owns the HD600/650 and the HE-400/500, the HE-500 sounds more to my ears like a much more accurate and refined (slightly darker) HD 600.The HE-400 is a fantastic HP, it just does everything so well. The HE-400 does need a fairly powerful amp to reach its full potential despite the claims of not needing much power. I was always a big fan of the HD-600 and it was one of my go-to cans when sampling new music because of the neutrality and the balance.  After my purchase of the HE-400 I really have not touched the HD600 or the 650. The HE-400  is like the jack of all trades HP, it is bass heavy or bass light , has  sparkling highs or slightly dark depending on the track. It actually sounds to my ears like a mix of the HD600 and the 650.

 

 

sygyzy - The 880/600 has been the only headphones that made me think of getting rid of my HD580, but after A/B'ing them for a few days the 580 stayed and the 880 went back. The typical Beyer mids while clean and detailed, lacked warmth of real live vocals. The bass while extended, had very little impact compared to the 580. The 880 is a detail monster though, but I prefer to listen and feel my music.


Edited by Slaughter - 8/19/12 at 11:06pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

Really anyone who likes the 600, likes it for its awesome mids which is lacking in a lot of other phones. What would one expect to hear in the mids switching from the 600 to the HE400? Any other description besides dark? To me, when I hear "dark", I think of recessed or lacking detail.

 

 

 

sygyzy - The 880/600 has been the only headphones that made me think of getting rid of my HD580, but after A/B'ing them for a few days the 580 stayed and the 880 went back. The typical Beyer mids while clean and detailed, lacked warmth of real live vocals. The bass while extended, had very little impact compared to the 580. The 880 is a detail monster though, but I prefer to listen and feel my music.

It's dark (as in lacking in treble and upper mids, relative to everything below about 3kHz) if you use the pleathers that by default the HE400s come with, but if you get the Hifiman velour pads ($10) instead, there is zero hint of darkness, just terrific balance with a hint of 'fun' tonality.


Edited by jerg - 8/19/12 at 11:24pm
post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 

You guys are confusing me now. If you don't like the 880's, what would be a good change while staying in the same quality level of my HD600's? In other words, what's a pair in the same price/performance category that would be good to try?

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

Really anyone who likes the 600, likes it for its awesome mids which is lacking in a lot of other phones. What would one expect to hear in the mids switching from the 600 to the HE400? Any other description besides dark? To me, when I hear "dark", I think of recessed or lacking detail.

 

 

 

 

 

I did not mean to say they were dark sounding, I was just expressing the fact that I am impressed at that fact that the 400 has such a unique sound that is just all over the spectrum. The mids of the HE-400s are actually one of its appealing attributes . The highs are very balanced similar to the HD650, the mids are similar to the HD600 and the sub bass is greater then that of the 650. The planar sound is not one that lacks detail. I think the HE-500 is a more of a  detailed oriented HP, but it lacks the fun and energy of the HE-400 to my ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500?