Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Upgrade from Zune HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade from Zune HD

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hello, I've had a refirbished Zune HD 32GB for quite some time now. The SQ is fine, nothing is wrong with it, just a little bored... If i were to upgrade what should I go with? I really dislike the iPods so don't suggest that. I've been looking at the 32GB Cowon D3 or J3. But they're pretty freaking expensive, so i'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get a refurbished one. If not, then what other MP3 players have just as good if not superior SQ to the Zune that are 32GB and around $200?

post #2 of 22

I personally think the only true upgrade to a Zune HD is something in the SGS line. either the SGS1/SGS player/galaxy tab/Asus EEE Pad, or the SGS 3, since you're not a fan of iPods which are quite frankly better than the entire Zune line.

 

Zune/Zune HD are pretty universally solid, minus the need for proprietary software. Everything else has a lot of compromises for only a =<1% improvement over the SGS line.


Edited by CrystalT - 8/17/12 at 9:00pm
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderTJ View Post

I personally think the only true upgrade to a Zune HD is something in the SGS line. either the SGS1/SGS player/galaxy tab/Asus EEE Pad, or the SGS 3, since you're not a fan of iPods which are quite frankly better than the entire Zune line.

 

Zune/Zune HD are pretty universally solid, minus the need for proprietary software. Everything else has a lot of compromises for only a =<1% improvement over the SGS line.

 

Are you talking about the Samsung Galaxy Player? or what's the SGS? O_o hahaha. I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 or 3... It'd be funny since I already own the Samsung Galaxy Nexus... Although that has 28GB of space, it's not enough for me when you have to include all the apps and roms and blah...

post #4 of 22

The Sansa Fuze+, Sony E466, A866 are great sounding DAPs with lots of extra features and better battery life.

post #5 of 22

I've heard good things about the RoCoo P.

I'm fairly certain it puts out more power than the zune as well.

Only problem it's internal memory is only 4gb, but it does have a slot for a micro SD card.

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post

The Sansa Fuze+, Sony E466, A866 are great sounding DAPs with lots of extra features and better battery life.

 

With both the Fuze+ and Sony e466, i'm guessing it's drag and drop to get the music?

post #7 of 22
I would get the new Sony walkman with FLAC support or the Z series
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

Anyone have any good comments on the Son Walkman F Series? It comes with the new Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) and I LOVE that OS.

post #9 of 22

sansa clip+ with a 32Gb card, nothing beats this in this price range or sq :)

post #10 of 22

If you are willing to go old school and use a big HDD DAP, I'd say that iRiver H120/140, iRiver H320/340, Cowon X5 or Samsung YH-J70 are good options. Samsung might be the best option as it's not as well known as the iRivers and Cowon and you sometimes can find them cheap. I got my J70 for €43 just a few weeks ago off Ebay. The best thing about old HDD DAP's is that you can replace the HDD with higher capacity HDD's and sometimes with Compact Flash cards, and batteries are easily replaceable.

 

Of course you will pretty much only be able to use them for music. You can use some of the older DAP's for video, but the screens are so small that it's pointless.

 

I've got a Cowon S9 and a Clip+ and my Samsung YH-J70 and iRiver H120 easily sounds as good as the newer DAP's do. The samsung YH-J70 has got a 9 band custom EQ as well as SRS WOW (I don't bother with such audio enhancements).

post #11 of 22
Sgs player 4 with a 64 gb card isn't a large jump in price.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 

what do you guys think of the cowon x7?

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikkNazty View Post

what do you guys think of the cowon x7?

 The Cowon x7 has an internal hardrive so if you drop it you're *******. Correct me if im wrong but i think it has 164 GB of memory? It sounds pretty good. I definately would recommend that or the J3. But if you want an alernative that will triumph the cowon I recommend Hisound Products

post #14 of 22

I am in the same boat. I wish they didn't end support. I haven't found a better player.

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

 The Cowon x7 has an internal hardrive so if you drop it you're *******. Correct me if im wrong but i think it has 164 GB of memory? It sounds pretty good. I definately would recommend that or the J3. But if you want an alernative that will triumph the cowon I recommend Hisound Products

problem is I would only get 4 gigs more than my zune hd... I'm looking for a considerable jump in storage... Can't really find anything though :/ I don't see why people don't make 64 or 80 gb devices anymore...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Upgrade from Zune HD