Curra, you mentioned that you preferred the Octave unless you ran the AP1/PP with the Calyx, feeling no need for the Octave. But how is the AP1/PP to Octave Vs AP1/PP to Calyx?
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009: suggestions to tone down the brightness? Last post on 8/9/13 at 2:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Advice needed on a DAC upgrade Last post on 11/7/12 at 8:29pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) Last post on 3/11/17 at 3:35am in High-end Audio Forum
- Looking for a great DAC to match the Cavalli Liquid Fire Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:46pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
Review: Calyx DAC 24/192 - Page 3post #31 of 4111/2/12 at 8:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 4112/29/13 at 6:31am
Hi guys. I'm just wondering... How does compare usb to the spdif in this dac? I didn't auditioned them yet but I've heard some good opinions on this dac and few of guys said that it sounds even better via usb. Is that correct? Anyone can confirm that myth?
By the way it has pretty decent specs.
Edited by Nudel - 12/29/13 at 6:33ampost #33 of 417/2/15 at 9:39pm
I know this thread is years old, but I purchased a Calyx 24/192 a few months ago and find it to be quite musical and moving emotionally. The posts about connecting it to the Audiophilleo and the vast improvement got me wondering; what amp was the music coming out of and through what speakers? Anyone care to respond? I have a Marantz PM 11S3 integrated amp and Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers and my music sounds wonderful to me. I listen to classical, Gospel, soundtracks, Christmas, jazz, country, new age, Celtic, R&B, Rock, Blues, Pop, and even a touch of electronica. I'm not saying every song sounds 1st class because not all music is mastered equally, but I thoroughly enjoy ALL of my music. Even most of my mp3 downloads sound astonishingly better than I've ever heard them sound before. I frequently find myself sitting with a stupid "WOW" grin on my face with my feet tapping. Whatever your end choice I hope you all have found musical bliss.post #34 of 4110/23/15 at 9:01pm
Hi there. I bought the 24/192 a long time ago now. I run it into a Lavardin Model IT, with Role Audio Kayak speakers in a desktop environment (about 2-3ft listening position) The combination is magic. I am reluctant to upgrade because the synergy is magic.post #35 of 4110/26/15 at 11:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by musicbuff
I know this thread is years old, but I purchased a Calyx 24/192 a few months ago and find it to be quite musical and moving emotionally. The posts about connecting it to the Audiophilleo and the vast improvement got me wondering; what amp was the music coming out of and through what speakers? Anyone care to respond?
Try using a Schiit Wyrd, Audioquest Jitterbug or Uptone Regen USB on the USB input of the Calyx DAC. Should do wonders without an unnecessary USB to SPDIF converter.post #36 of 4110/27/15 at 4:12pmThread Starter
The Calyx is USB-powered, so most definitely it needs a good USB power supply for best results. I wish I could retry it with a Schiit Wyrd, but it didn't exist back when I owned it.post #37 of 4110/28/15 at 4:14am
Currawong, a correction: the Calyx DAC 24/192 can be USB powered. It is optional. If you turn a switch it can be powered by external power supply.
I tried using the Schiit Wyrd to power the Calyx DAC 24/192 a few days ago and the DAC does NOT work: does not sync, LED stays red and does not turn to purple. I guess not enough power coming from the Wyrd?
Anyway also I tried powering the Calyx DAC 24/192 with an Aqvox USB power supply (it feeds the USB port with clean power coming from a regulated LPS). And also tried powering the DAC with the CLPS (Calyx Linear Power Supply), and compared both. The difference is not big but the CLPS is definitively better: more focused, soundstage more open and deep.
The Aqvox is no slouch, so I imagine what kind of results people get powering the DAC 24/192 straight from a regular computer's USB port....
Edited by Matias - 10/28/15 at 4:18ampost #38 of 4110/28/15 at 6:58am
After reading testimonials of the improvement the Audiophilleo brought to the Calyx 24/192 I bought one (Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower). The sound quality improved with increased clarity and detail, more focused soundstage and with tighter and more accurate bass. To me, it was worth the money running the Calyx with the attached USB S/PDIF converter. I always ran my Calyx with it's own power supply and was never disappointed.post #39 of 412/23/16 at 10:19ampost #40 of 418/30/16 at 10:31am
For those interested, I just tested using an Uptone Regen USB connected to the USB input of the Calyx DAC 24/192, and use the Calyx Linear Power Supply to feed the Regen and switch the DAC to use USB power. Works great and sounds beautiful!post #41 of 419/9/16 at 4:59amQuote:
You have a Femto and a 24/192? Nice.
- Review: Calyx DAC 24/192
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 12 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR CD3000 (horrible) 38 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 58 seconds ago
- › 【BLUE】##=91=9958802839 LoVe mArRiAgE SpEcIaLiSt bAbA ji .San Marino 59 seconds ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Q-Jays are back. 1 minute ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 2 minutes ago
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear