Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 55

post #811 of 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

It was such a good price that the dealer lost his business with Ultrasone, was't it?


Seriously?

post #812 of 2041

I know it's subjective but I just wish these came in black. The colour is the only turn off for me, unfortunately.

post #813 of 2041

Regarding RMC Audio (the dealer in question?), I don't think they "lost" business with Ultrasone. I THINK that Ultrasone was either trying to enforce MSRP or something similar and was becoming a "hassle" to work with them so I think THEY (dealer) decided to stop carrying Ultrasone headphones.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

I know it's subjective but I just wish these came in black. The colour is the only turn off for me, unfortunately.

 

I have both the Sig Pro (black) and the Sig DJs (white) and I have to say that I actually like how the DJs look... BUT I'm scared that the white might become "yellow-ish" with time... (just like those gray Super NIntendos that ended up with a different hue in the end due to the plastic getting discolored with time...)

post #814 of 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

It was such a good price that the dealer lost his business with Ultrasone, was't it?

 

They were trying to sell the ultrasones below MSRP because they couldn't sell these headphones at anywhere near MSRP and ultrasone would threaten to cut their supply. Eventually they cut the supply and Rocky Mountain Audio didn't really care. They just could not sell these headphones anywhere near to msrp.

post #815 of 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

It was such a good price that the dealer lost his business with Ultrasone, was't it?


Not exactly.  I ended up purchasing from another Ebay reseller since RMC sold out, but I believe this reseller purchased from RMC hoping to turn a quick profit.  I bid $700 on the chance no one else would bid on them and they would want to unload them.  At the last minutes of the auction, they accepted my bid and they were sealed, brand new, so I lucked out.

 

I think the decision with RMC and Ultrasone was mutual.  From my understanding, Ultrasone wanted to maintain a certain image with set pricing for their summit-fi headphones.  RMC wanted to move more units, so they were setting prices to make what they felt was a fair profit, but I don't think Ultrasone was a big part of RMC's total business.  It makes one wonder about the general markup on high-end gear.

 

I still think the Sig DJ is worth $1,000.

post #816 of 2041

I just caught up on about 25 pages of this thread. It has taken a decided 'Sig DJs are better than Sig Pros' turn. This is not surprising in some ways since the thread is full of happy owners. It is a sign of a good headphone.

 

Nonetheless when I auditioned them side by side a few months back, to my tastes the Pros were a more refined headphone, actually quite impressive. The DJs were good - a bit like a Sig Pro with more bass but with less air and space between the instruments. I did not think that they were quite in the same league as the Pros.

 

I am seriously in the market now and, being back in HK, hope to compare them again. With all that is being written, I will keep an open mind.

post #817 of 2041

For DJing I think there is no better thing than HD25s... 

post #818 of 2041
Most of this thread's participants seem to be non DJs like me. And this is about an over the ear can not like your on the ear Sennheiser.
post #819 of 2041

I bought my Signature DJ with RMC in US, pity they do not carry Ultrasone any more. They have very good service and price is 25% off the regular price. 

Fegefeuer, Oyaide cable was bought in DMA Hong Kong at below HK$600.  I bought another Oyaide cable in Kyoto, Japan for less than HK$500 as a spare.

Yes, the Signature DJ does turn whitish or greyish with time especially I am wearing them wherever I go and listening to them about 3 hours per day.

Cooperpwc, you can try Signature DJ out at DMA Hong Kong in Star City in Mongkok.  Very good place to try all other headphones also without the rush and push from the sales people.

post #820 of 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotheman View Post

I bought my Signature DJ with RMC in US, pity they do not carry Ultrasone any more. They have very good service and price is 25% off the regular price. 

Fegefeuer, Oyaide cable was bought in DMA Hong Kong at below HK$600.  I bought another Oyaide cable in Kyoto, Japan for less than HK$500 as a spare.

Yes, the Signature DJ does turn whitish or greyish with time especially I am wearing them wherever I go and listening to them about 3 hours per day.

Cooperpwc, you can try Signature DJ out at DMA Hong Kong in Star City in Mongkok.  Very good place to try all other headphones also without the rush and push from the sales people.

 

 

Thanks. That's where I heard them before. Actually the Star House branch of DMA closed for renovations but I will visit them in Mongkok tomorrow.

post #821 of 2041

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

I just caught up on about 25 pages of this thread. It has taken a decided 'Sig DJs are better than Sig Pros' turn. This is not surprising in some ways since the thread is full of happy owners. It is a sign of a good headphone.

 

Nonetheless when I auditioned them side by side a few months back, to my tastes the Pros were a more refined headphone, actually quite impressive. The DJs were good - a bit like a Sig Pro with more bass but with less air and space between the instruments. I did not think that they were quite in the same league as the Pros.

 

I am seriously in the market now and, being back in HK, hope to compare them again. With all that is being written, I will keep an open mind.

 

Heya,

 

They are a bit different and as I had mentioned earlier, for me (my ears) it has to do with the extra air (treble) and soundstage that the SigDJs provide. Basically, the Sig Pros sound a bit more laidback/darker than the DJs which can be good or bad depending on your tastes. Both are great though at throwing detailed sound right to your face while providing great bass and thump (a BIT more on the DJs) and not becoming fatiguing ear piercing monsters. I actually like the Pros just a tiny bit more than the DJs (probably because I've been enjoy the Mad Dogs since last year which of course, are dark/neutral-ish headphones...) but I find them different enough that it's making it difficult to decide which one I should keep... As of now, I'm keeping both for the moment ;-)

 

Impressions on both: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/675#post_9300553

 

Very best,

post #822 of 2041

Yes it is so damn hard to decide.........

post #823 of 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Quote:

 

Heya,

 

They are a bit different and as I had mentioned earlier, for me (my ears) it has to do with the extra air (treble) and soundstage that the SigDJs provide. Basically, the Sig Pros sound a bit more laidback/darker than the DJs which can be good or bad depending on your tastes. Both are great though at throwing detailed sound right to your face while providing great bass and thump (a BIT more on the DJs) and not becoming fatiguing ear piercing monsters. I actually like the Pros just a tiny bit more than the DJs (probably because I've been enjoy the Mad Dogs since last year which of course, are dark/neutral-ish headphones...) but I find them different enough that it's making it difficult to decide which one I should keep... As of now, I'm keeping both for the moment ;-)

 

Impressions on both: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/675#post_9300553

 

Very best,

 

Thanks. Yes I read your comparison with interest.

 

I hope that I can hear these again tomorrow. It should be fun.

post #824 of 2041

Heya,

 

It seems Gizmodo and SoundEarphones are "at it" again!!!!

If you buy SoundEarphone gift cards, you can use a special code (DEALZMODO) and get 20% off of the gift cards.

So, if you buy 2 $500 gift cards, with the code you would just pay $800 which means you can buy the Ultrasone Signature DJs from them for "$800"!!!

Nice buy! Yeah yeah I know, it's not $700, but it's 20% off!

 

So any of you on the fence, GET ON IT!!!! ;-)

 

 

Very best,

post #825 of 2041

I had a chance to hear the Signature Pro and Signature DJ again today. I better understand some of the views on the Signature DJ now. This time (a different pair), the sound was not as thick as I remember. I even see how one could view it as airier than the Signature Pro. The sound stage is indeed  a bit wider.  

 

I still prefer the overall sound of the Signature Pro. I find it to be more balanced and I prefer the mids. To my taste the DJ also has too much bass but of course YMMV. I can see how people would prefer the DJ.

 

In my case, I walked away deciding that I will not buy either. They are both good but neither takes my musical pleasure to the next level. I think that I am going to save my pennies and spring for the TH-900...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ