Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 19

post #271 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Thanks for your insight. Now it begs the question since you are an owner of both headphones. For the genres you listed: Jazz, classical, music with strong vocals and natural acoustic instruments

 

Are there ever occasions when you would prefer the TH900 over the 009?

 

Yes...note that this my preferences could be due to the amp supporting these headphones. I find that with the SR-009 (driven by the SRM-727A) doesn't really produce enough bass for my tastes. So my SR-009 is great for listening to classical and jazz. However if I'm listening to my 80's/90's pop music then I'd prefer the TH-900's. Sample tracks (not all fall into the aforementioned category) :-

 

SR-009

Vivaldi 4 Seasons

Bill Evans Trio Waltz for Debby

Gerry Mulligan's Night Lights

Paul Desmond Bossa Antigua

Lana Del Rey - I'm prepared to sacrifice the bass here for the open-ness of the SR-009

Diana Krall - same comment about bass for this too

Michael Buble - same comment about bass too

 

TH-900

Michael Jackson's Thriller

[Ahem] Top Gun

[Ahem] Footloose - Don't shoot me...I just like Kenny Loggins

Jamiroquai

[Please don't ask] Jason Donovan

Sean Kingston

post #272 of 2040

AnakChan,

 

When you say:

In addition, like the Signature Pro, there's a nice reverberating texture to the rendering of the bass. Interestingly though, despite the bass reaching in deep, it's not as deep as the TH-900 nor M-100. It almost seems like a conservative deep bass.

 

Do you mean mid-bass or sub-bass or the whole low-end? Just asking because even though the M-100s DO have a lot of bass (especially mid-bass) and it does reach low, I don't find the sub-bass all that powerful. In fact, my Denon D5000s and even the Signature Pros to my ears (of course) have more deep bass.

 

 

Thanks for the review BTW!

These will probably sound like the Denon D5000s me-thinks but with more/better bass maybe?

post #273 of 2040

Thanks again AnakChan for your reply. I can't get rid of the TH900, they are just too sweet. And I can't get rid of the SigPro either for on the go when I don't want bass. Looks like I'm just going to have to suck it up and just get the Sig DJ without being able to sell. 

 

FYI, just got off the phone with Mark at RMC about when they think they will get them in. They really have no idea, but are talking to the Ultrasone rep trying to get answers. Seems like they are actively trying to find out. 

post #274 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

AnakChan,

 

When you say:

 

Do you mean mid-bass or sub-bass or the whole low-end? Just asking because even though the M-100s DO have a lot of bass (especially mid-bass) and it does reach low, I don't find the sub-bass all that powerful. In fact, my Denon D5000s and even the Signature Pros to my ears (of course) have more deep bass.

 

 

Thanks for the review BTW!

These will probably sound like the Denon D5000s me-thinks but with more/better bass maybe?

 

Hmmm...around the 40Hz and 50Hz. Would that be mid bass? I find that the M-100s are fine with 30Hz->50Hz.

 

I've used the Open Your Ears "Heartbeat" track. I believe the first heartbeat is 50Hz, 40Hz, 30Hz, then finally 20Hz.

post #275 of 2040

My definitions are roughly:
 

Sub bass: 20-60

Mid bass: 65-130

Upper bass to low mids: 130-250

 

...ish

post #276 of 2040

Nice review AnakChan :)

post #277 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

Hmmm...around the 40Hz and 50Hz. Would that be mid bass? I find that the M-100s are fine with 30Hz->50Hz.

 

I've used the Open Your Ears "Heartbeat" track. I believe the first heartbeat is 50Hz, 40Hz, 30Hz, then finally 20Hz.

 

I would consider that sub-bass.

And I agree, the M100s (which I'm using right now) does sub very well but I find the Signature Pros to perform even better (and the Denon D5000 to have more quantity but not quality). So now I'm wondering if the DJs do not excel in this department, what do they excel in? ;-)

 

BTW, listening to this track right now on the M100s:

 

http://archive.org/details/Zomboy-NeverSayDieVol.13

post #278 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

I would consider that sub-bass.

And I agree, the M100s (which I'm using right now) does sub very well but I find the Signature Pros to perform even better (and the Denon D5000 to have more quantity but not quality). So now I'm wondering if the DJs do not excel in this department, what do they excel in? ;-)

 

BTW, listening to this track right now on the M100s:

 

http://archive.org/details/Zomboy-NeverSayDieVol.13

 

It's a pity that the SigPros loaner I received didn't sound right because the one at the shop sounded more balanced and nicer. This has been my long struggle with the SigPros that every time I demo the various units, I just can't get a consistent sound from them.

 

That is interesting about your preference of the SigPro bass over M-100. Based on memory from demoing the SigPros at the shops but I felt the M-100 bass reached in deeper than the SigPros. I'm wondering if amping is making us hear differently. I use mainly my DX100, CLAS+RX Mk3, and Go DAP 4.0 when I'm doing my listening at the shops - at home, would be my DX100 and Fostex HP-A8.

 

The SigDJ reach deeper than the SigPros in the shop so within the Ultrasone realm of models, the SigDJ is a more DJ-tuned headphone. And to my ears the M-100 reaches deeper. Rendering of the bass though is different where I find the M-100 has a nice deep rumble (for me in the sub bass). Whereas the SigDJ is a more fine subtle reverberation texture in the mid bass (would something like the bass guitar be considered as mid bass?).

 

My 2 yen worth anyway. I do believe audio is rather personal so each person may be sensitive some frequencies than others, thereafter there's sonic preferences too.

post #279 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

The SigDJ reach deeper than the SigPros in the shop so within the Ultrasone realm of models, the SigDJ is a more DJ-tuned headphone. And to my ears the M-100 reaches deeper.

 

 

When you say deeper, do you mean it reaches lower frequencies?  I'm curious how the SigDJ handles the really low frequencies, in the 20-30hz range. 


Edited by bytor33 - 11/8/12 at 3:23am
post #280 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

That is interesting about your preference of the SigPro bass over M-100. Based on memory from demoing the SigPros at the shops but I felt the M-100 bass reached in deeper than the SigPros. I'm wondering if amping is making us hear differently. I use mainly my DX100, CLAS+RX Mk3, and Go DAP 4.0 when I'm doing my listening at the shops - at home, would be my DX100 and Fostex HP-A8.

 

The SigDJ reach deeper than the SigPros in the shop so within the Ultrasone realm of models, the SigDJ is a more DJ-tuned headphone. And to my ears the M-100 reaches deeper. Rendering of the bass though is different where I find the M-100 has a nice deep rumble (for me in the sub bass). Whereas the SigDJ is a more fine subtle reverberation texture in the mid bass (would something like the bass guitar be considered as mid bass?).

 

My 2 yen worth anyway. I do believe audio is rather personal so each person may be sensitive some frequencies than others, thereafter there's sonic preferences too.

 

I guess I'll have to wait until Ultrasone decides to send their stuff to RMC Audio and try them myself.

 

As you say, the difference here might be our ears! ;-) I still think the M100s are underwhelming but they do have excellent bass... I guess I just like the Sig Pros bass better... BTW, I just use the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII as my portable amp paired with right now with an Iriver S100 or HiSound Studio V (until I sell them... have the Cowon C2 on the way...). At home I use my Lehman BCL.

 

 

Thanks for the quick responses AnakChan!

post #281 of 2040

Not to be offensive to anyone and with all due respect, I must say I never thought I would see the day when a $300 headphone would be compared to a $1000 + headphone.

 

I havent heard the M-100, but my lord according to some logic lately why the need for Orpheus, SR-009, Qualia, or R-10 when a HF-2 works just as well? (used merely for comparison sake).  Shall we do a direct comparison between the SR-009 and the RS-2 and see which one comes out on top?

 

I am a firm beleiver in the law of diminishing returns and all that, however to suggest that the M-100 is in the same league as the Sig Pro or even possibly the Sig DJ surely must be a pipe dream.


Edited by Mortalcoil - 11/8/12 at 10:15am
post #282 of 2040

The Daily RMC Audio update, brought to you by SoundFreaq:

 

Mark says they are "having a devil of a time" contacting Ultrasone. He said that they were being difficult, unresponsive, and not helpful at all. He apologized yet again. 

post #283 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil View Post

Not to be offensive to anyone and with all due respect, I must say I never thought I would see the day when a $300 headphone would be compared to a $1000 + headphone.

 

I havent heard the M-100, but my lord according to some logic lately why the need for Orpheus, SR-009, Qualia, or R-10 when a HF-2 works just as well? (used merely for comparison sake).  Shall we do a direct comparison between the SR-009 and the RS-2 and see which one comes out on top?

 

I am a firm beleiver in the law of diminishing returns and all that, however to suggest that the M-100 is in the same league as the Sig Pro or even possibly the Sig DJ surely must be a pipe dream.

Hearing is believing.

post #284 of 2040

Well Craigster, you also set yourself up to fall in love with them and proclaim them a giant killer before you ever heard them! tongue.gif

post #285 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Well Craigster, you also set yourself up to fall in love with them and proclaim them a giant killer before you ever heard them! tongue.gif


True.  However, if the M-100 failed to live up to expectation after such a buildup, my critical posts would have dwarfed my positive posts in both quantity and intensity of content.  I'm not even stating that the M-100 is superior to the Sig Pro or DJ.  It shouldn't be, based on the price difference, or Ultrasone should close up shop.  I am saying the M-100 holds its own respectably against those fine headphones at a much more competitive level than one would expect based on the price difference.


Edited by Craigster75 - 11/8/12 at 2:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ