Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 17

post #241 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

Nah, not that. I've owned the Ed8LEs for 9 months and am familiar and have grown accustomed to Ultrasone S-Logic ear placement. So rules that out. I'm going to take the SigPros to the shop tomorrow and test it against another SigPro to see if the one the distributor loaned me's dodgy. If it is, then my SigDJ impressions/review won't have a reference, that's all.

 

Talking about S-Logic, this may interest you guys (yes I was attempting to do some SigPro/SigDJ testing today - but ended up taking pix instead) :-

 

 

1000

L: SigPro    R: SigDJ 

The SigDJ opening is much bigger than the SigPro - I'm sure it's not just 'cos of the driver size difference but for other sonic tuning too (the bass, etc.).

 

 

Well, I guess it's not S-logic :(

 

The edition 8 had the same inconsistency issue, some of them had a really forward midrange, while other ones had a hollow midrange. I hope the sig dj/sig pro doesn't have the same problem. Oh, and since you were testing both, which do you think is better for hard genres like rock and metal? And did the midrange in the Sig DJ seem a bit more recessed because of the bass?

post #242 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Before this bickering gets taken too far, I recommend you guys carry on the conversation in PM's.
Meanwhile back on topic, I've got a question for you new SigDJ owners. Do you also own the SigPros? I received the loaner SigPros & SigDJs & I'm sure mine are demo units (possibly from the show last weekend). I'm finding the two much more different than when I tried them out last Sunday. In fact the difference seems to be in the SigPro rather than the SigDJ. Last week I would have said that they had different signatures with various emphasis in the frequency responses. Now with these sample units, it's almost one is more superior over the other (won't say which until I have a greater listen).
SigPro/DJ owners, what are your findings??

 

 

i'm a sig pro user and since/when it first came out, my s/n is 114 so you know it's quite the early version(if that matter). that time i tried the dj, i really felt dull sounding(lifeless).  i tried with that setup again.  an ipod sr71a and this time with my sig pro.  same record.  i don't feel as dull sounding as the dj.  not enough burn-in maybe?  or maybe i'm not truly an ultrasone fan?  or maybe i use my home rig a lot lately?  why i bought this up is because a)i think my home rig is a quite a bit better than my portable rig so that could affect my judgement a little bit and b)i haven't use my signature pro a long time, over a month maybe?  so i might forget the sound/s-logic a little?  i know i'm making excuses now.  really wanted to get it but i don't feel like getting it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname View Post

 

IMO the Sig Pro and DJ need some burning

and their sound changes from time to time throughout the burning (well no change for their signature, but you may find the loudness at each frequency changes and some more...)

 

you may put the headphone(s) on, running the same song/album for few hours and you'll find the song sounds better.

 

Yesterday, I tried the ultrasone IQ

actually it's signature is similar to the signature pro I've had

I suggest to those who like signature pro's sounding, and would like to have something easier to drive and more portable

 

 

about burn-in.  after all dj has a 50 mm driver, comparing to sig pro 40mm so maybe the dj needs more time to settle? 

post #243 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

i'm a sig pro user and since/when it first came out, my s/n is 114 so you know it's quite the early version(if that matter). that time i tried the dj, i really felt dull sounding(lifeless).  i tried with that setup again.  an ipod sr71a and this time with my sig pro.  same record.  i don't feel as dull sounding as the dj.  not enough burn-in maybe?  or maybe i'm not truly an ultrasone fan?  or maybe i use my home rig a lot lately?  why i bought this up is because a)i think my home rig is a quite a bit better than my portable rig so that could affect my judgement a little bit and b)i haven't use my signature pro a long time, over a month maybe?  so i might forget the sound/s-logic a little?  i know i'm making excuses now.  really wanted to get it but i don't feel like getting it now.

 

 

about burn-in.  after all dj has a 50 mm driver, comparing to sig pro 40mm so maybe the dj needs more time to settle? 

In case there is a language barrier, how would you define dull?  Do you mean dull as in highs that don't extend as far as the Sig Pro or dull as in boring/lifeless?

post #244 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

i'm a sig pro user and since/when it first came out, my s/n is 114 so you know it's quite the early version(if that matter). that time i tried the dj, i really felt dull sounding(lifeless).  i tried with that setup again.  an ipod sr71a and this time with my sig pro.  same record.  i don't feel as dull sounding as the dj.  not enough burn-in maybe?  or maybe i'm not truly an ultrasone fan?  or maybe i use my home rig a lot lately?  why i bought this up is because a)i think my home rig is a quite a bit better than my portable rig so that could affect my judgement a little bit and b)i haven't use my signature pro a long time, over a month maybe?  so i might forget the sound/s-logic a little?  i know i'm making excuses now.  really wanted to get it but i don't feel like getting it now.

 

 

about burn-in.  after all dj has a 50 mm driver, comparing to sig pro 40mm so maybe the dj needs more time to settle? 

 

I bought the IE80 this summer, and this few months I was with my IE80

As its quite hot here, so I nearly did not listen to the Signature Pro for the whole summer

and then when I picked my Signature Pro up, oops...

I realised that I need to burn it again

and now it's just passed 700 hours, oh getting better and better

 

dunno if you are in the same case as mine- -

post #245 of 2120

You know how the Sig DJ marketing hooplah touts it being able to handle high volumes? I tell you what, the Sig Pro can handle an insane amount of power as well. I always played around strategically with some EQ and reigned in the highs a tad for when I want to get louder and feel the bass, and I tell you what, the SP delivers if you do it right. They handle more power than any other over-ear I've ever heard. And with the larger drivers in the SDJ, I can imagine synapse-boggling bass. 


Edited by SoundFreaq - 11/2/12 at 5:15pm
post #246 of 2120
not get used to listening to hi-end product, I wanna know it is just 32 ohm so no amp required? and it can sound great using normal player or even iPhone?

most of the time I will use it outside, is it very good about isolation?
post #247 of 2120
Yes, it is excellent isolation, and you will be able to drive from an iPhone or other portable device just fine.
post #248 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

In case there is a language barrier, how would you define dull?  Do you mean dull as in highs that don't extend as far as the Sig Pro or dull as in boring/lifeless?

 

 

yea i just never good at speaking about sound or how the device sound. 

 

anyway, it's just like hd600/650 both sound boring to me.  hd600/650 both are fine headphones and i do use them from time to time but still they don't move me.  i never tap my toes when listening to either hd600/650.  balanced or non-balance, tube or ss, with different cables.  a simple dt231 with a cheap old portable amp(c & c box xo) sound pretty good and exciting to me.  different expectation i guess.  back to this dj headphones.  it has a name dj so i expect to have some excitement. a fun headphones but that time i tried, i don't really feel that at all.  again, maybe not enough burn-in.  or maybe i was expecting too much?  i'll go again and give it another shot.  if i don't feel like getting it, i'll either get ed8 or ps1000.  we'll see. 

post #249 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname View Post

 

I bought the IE80 this summer, and this few months I was with my IE80

As its quite hot here, so I nearly did not listen to the Signature Pro for the whole summer

and then when I picked my Signature Pro up, oops...

I realised that I need to burn it again

and now it's just passed 700 hours, oh getting better and better

 

dunno if you are in the same case as mine- -

 

 

if you like/love sig pro, you're ok with ie80(boring iem)?  i really think jh16 sound like sig pro.  not as good(not even close) but similar sound signature. 

 

and i haven't use my sig pro for about a month but my sig pro sound more lively than a/the new sig dj. 


Edited by fhuang - 11/3/12 at 3:36am
post #250 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

yea i just never good at speaking about sound or how the device sound. 

 

anyway, it's just like hd600/650 both sound boring to me.  hd600/650 both are fine headphones and i do use them from time to time but still they don't move me.  i never tap my toes when listening to either hd600/650.  balanced or non-balance, tube or ss, with different cables.  a simple dt231 with a cheap old portable amp(c & c box xo) sound pretty good and exciting to me.  different expectation i guess.  back to this dj headphones.  it has a name dj so i expect to have some excitement. a fun headphones but that time i tried, i don't really feel that at all.  again, maybe not enough burn-in.  or maybe i was expecting too much?  i'll go again and give it another shot.  if i don't feel like getting it, i'll either get ed8 or ps1000.  we'll see. 


Thank you for expanding on your comments.  Is at least the bass exciting as one would expect from a summit-fi DJ headphone?

post #251 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

if you like/love sig pro, you're ok with ie80(boring iem)?  i really think jh16 sound like sig pro.  not as good(not even close) but similar sound signature. 

 

and i haven't use my sig pro for about a month but my sig pro sound more lively than a/the new sig dj. 

 

well, actually I'm not satisfying with my IE80, I may pick IQ later

um... I can't say much about the DJ, as I'm not good at predicting how the sound would be after fully burn in from a new one

I think it should be not bad...

post #252 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname View Post

 

well, actually I'm not satisfying with my IE80, I may pick IQ later

um... I can't say much about the DJ, as I'm not good at predicting how the sound would be after fully burn in from a new one

I think it should be not bad...

 

 

 

really, see if you can memo jh16.  really worth a try, specially if you like sig pro

 

 

as for the dj, i don't know.  i'll go again later. 

post #253 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


Thank you for expanding on your comments.  Is at least the bass exciting as one would expect from a summit-fi DJ headphone?

 

 

 

big bass don't necessary mean exciting, at least to me.  yea i guess maybe i was expecting too much.  after all the headphone ain't cheap(to me, even for 699 plus shipping)

post #254 of 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post

 

 

 

really, see if you can memo jh16.  really worth a try, specially if you like sig pro

 

 

as for the dj, i don't know.  i'll go again later. 

 

ok I'll see if I can find a demo, but I plan to invest more on desktop, so see if this can persuade me to spend so much or not

post #255 of 2120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname View Post

 

ok I'll see if I can find a demo, but I plan to invest more on desktop, so see if this can persuade me to spend so much or not

 

 

 

a good home rig is much more satisfying

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ