or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 111

post #1651 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelamb View Post
 

I'm sure I would love the sound of the Fostex TH-900's from everything I've seen but ALL my headphone listening is portable and on-the-go. I just can't see wearing a piece of expensive Japanese furniture on my head with little isolation on the subway and train :)

 

Yea, they DEFF are not made for portable use. Only if you listen at home. No way would I take a headphone like that outside the house.

 

 

Plus, I'm not sure you'd look too cool wearing it on the go!

post #1652 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelamb View Post

Despite the graphs, the ES10's are just not in the same class as the Sig PRO's or the Sig DJ's hence their cheaper price tag. They are "fuzzy" in comparison. It's kind of like how you see when you're near-sighted and take your glasses off. The highs in the Sig PRO's may be more than the ES10's but they're super clean. The bass is on a whole other level.
Yes, the graphs mean little. The graphs don't measure resolution of the sound. It's like 480p vs 1080p. They only give a basic idea of sound signature. I really think you have to listen to things first and not rely on the graphs.

 

Let your ears be the judge, not your eyes.

I agree that graphs mean little because to my ears for example the ESW9s sound sibilant even though in the graphs their highs are quite low and the bass in the graphs on the ES10 and ESW9 look almost the same as the T5P or T70P but that's also incorrect...

 

I understand what you mean by the comparison of low-res to high-res but I thought that the Ultrasone Edition 8s would be like that and they just sounded metalic to me and not very clear, they had a bloated coloured sound I didn't much care for and were extremely bright. The T70P I owned was also too bright but with no bass and the T770P had OK bass but was also too bright... The ES10 is perfect in terms of brightness but is uncomfortable in terms of long wear as it's Supra-Aural and the Sigs are Circum-aurals (some of the only truly portable circum-aurals). I've heard a modifited T5P that sounded great but it was highly modified for more bass...

 

Anyway this is why I am deciding whether to get the Sig DJ's or get the Sig Pro's - I love lots of punchy bass (not bloated like in ED8s) and a fun phone like the ES10 but I want more clarity, more resolution as you say, at the same time I am afraid of the lack of mids and shreiking high's which is the only thing that would lead me to the Sig Pro or T5P. I think if I got either of those I would have to modify them for more bass though... The T5P is comfy but not as portable, but I need it for listening mostly at work all day and on the plane, which is why the T5P with the better isolation and comfort is also a choice...

 

And unfortunately I cannot listen to any of them, all the meet's I've been at had no Ultrasone Sigs, in fact at the last two big Meets in CA there was practically no Ultrasone Presence besides my ED8s at the time...

post #1653 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronkatz View Post
 

I agree that graphs mean little because to my ears for example the ESW9s sound sibilant even though in the graphs their highs are quite low and the bass in the graphs on the ES10 and ESW9 look almost the same as the T5P or T70P but that's also incorrect...

 

I understand what you mean by the comparison of low-res to high-res but I thought that the Ultrasone Edition 8s would be like that and they just sounded metalic to me and not very clear, they had a bloated coloured sound I didn't much care for and were extremely bright. The T70P I owned was also too bright but with no bass and the T770P had OK bass but was also too bright... The ES10 is perfect in terms of brightness but is uncomfortable in terms of long wear as it's Supra-Aural and the Sigs are Circum-aurals (some of the only truly portable circum-aurals). I've heard a modifited T5P that sounded great but it was highly modified for more bass...

 

Anyway this is why I am deciding whether to get the Sig DJ's or get the Sig Pro's - I love lots of punchy bass (not bloated like in ED8s) and a fun phone like the ES10 but I want more clarity, more resolution as you say, at the same time I am afraid of the lack of mids and shreiking high's which is the only thing that would lead me to the Sig Pro or T5P. I think if I got either of those I would have to modify them for more bass though... The T5P is comfy but not as portable, but I need it for listening mostly at work all day and on the plane, which is why the T5P with the better isolation and comfort is also a choice...

 

And unfortunately I cannot listen to any of them, all the meet's I've been at had no Ultrasone Sigs, in fact at the last two big Meets in CA there was practically no Ultrasone Presence besides my ED8s at the time...

Could you please be more explicit about the cans you are talking about: ES10...... Please add at least the manufacturer, so that we can easier see what you are talking about without needing to google?

post #1654 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

Could you please be more explicit about the cans you are talking about: ES10...... Please add at least the manufacturer, so that we can easier see what you are talking about without needing to google?

 

Audio Technica ATH-ES10

post #1655 of 2456

THX

post #1656 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Yes, the graphs mean little. The graphs don't measure resolution of the sound. It's like 480p vs 1080p. They only give a basic idea of sound signature. I really think you have to listen to things first and not rely on the graphs.

 

Let your ears be the judge, not your eyes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Plus, if the headphone doesn't match your preference, you just resell it. That is exactly what I did with my SIG DJ. Why play a guessing game based on graphs?

I wouldn't have known it wasn't the ideal one without personally listening to it.

 

Well I've got a very good idea what I like due to analyzing all headphones I've picked up, looked at their frequency response and compared how I EQ'd them (by ear, not looking at the graphs) and therefore I've got a very good idea of what kind of balance I want. Most people don't know what kind of balance they truly enjoy the most. Some people maybe enjoy flat, some maybe ideally prefers +4dB bump in bass, maybe 3dB in highs etc. that probably varies quite a bit. I know I prefer roughly 8~9dB boost in bass (peak centered around 80Hz) and rolling off a bit below 40Hz and starting to roll off in the upper-end above 150Hz and the mids and highs need to be as balanced as possible, I'm generally better at liking very slightly veiled highs compared to slightly emphasized highs but quite in balance with the mids is the idea, a 5dB bump is already noticeable for sure. The graph doesn't tell the full story though but I start by finding a close enough balanced graph for my taste and THEN go audition it as the character of the highs can be soft or rough and I prefer the more soft character.

The recent headphone I picked up resembles quite close to the FR response of Signature DJ:


I returned it because I thought it sounded slightly too cold and had a rough highs character, so I couldn't get engaged by the music as the mids weren't lush and forward enough in comparison to the highs.

 

Selling isn't that fun, especially if you're from Finland and shipping costs to US is like $40... then shave off some of the initial price to get it sold for starters and you've already lost like $100, only for trying a week.

So again why not compare by graphs IN MY CASE. :) It's a user preference, it works for me and saves me money.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/23/14 at 7:28am
post #1657 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 

 

This is the reason I haven't jumped the gun on Signature DJs yet.

 

No.

The reason you haven't jumped the gun on the Sig DJs is because you are a scaredy-cat!!!!

 

 

LOL :D

post #1658 of 2456

So let me ask something; this bass, does it only come into affect when called for? It doesn't affect the entire sound signature making it boxy sounding does it?

post #1659 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

No.

The reason you haven't jumped the gun on the Sig DJs is because you are a scaredy-cat!!!!

 

 

LOL :D


Maybe I am but at least I save my wallet! ;)

post #1660 of 2456

lol ;)

post #1661 of 2456

Since the rumor is they are discontinuing the Sig line.................what's next?  Any clues? 

 

They have got to be paying attention to all the new stuff coming out and the question is are they doing anything to compete?

post #1662 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

Since the rumor is they are discontinuing the Sig line.................what's next?  Any clues? 

 

They have got to be paying attention to all the new stuff coming out and the question is are they doing anything to compete?


 Ultrasone works in mysterious ways.  Perhaps they consider the ED-5 as their entry into the world of super high end and as a cost is no object offering.


Edited by Mortalcoil - 6/23/14 at 11:03am
post #1663 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

Since the rumor is they are discontinuing the Sig line.................what's next?  Any clues? 

 

They have got to be paying attention to all the new stuff coming out and the question is are they doing anything to compete?


Really, what's the source?

post #1664 of 2456


A seller on Amazon:

 

 

 

This text is available from different websites now, but only in English. This is kinda epidemic, once you find it in one place, it reproduces itself like a virus.  Not sure if there is reality behind though.....


Edited by pietcux - 6/23/14 at 12:46pm
post #1665 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 


Maybe I am but at least I save my wallet! wink.gif

There are only a few headphones that have wowed me immediately (think Tyll calls it an "eargasm" -lol), one of which was the HIFIMAN HE-6 powered by the EF-6, the most recent is the Signature DJ's without any amp, plugged directly into my iPad playing iTunes, and sounding truly amazing - honestly I can't remember being this thrilled/excited over a new pair of cans in a long while, I've barely used any of my other cans since I got these about a couple of weeks ago - I've got em on now as I type this post listening to soundcloud smily_headphones1.gif

 

I got so excited over just how amazing these cans sound, it spilled into a post I did in the "what cans are you currently rocking" thread (see copied post below).

 

Only reason I could see myself letting go of the Sig DJ's would be to save me from any further embarrassment posts of me over gushing with enthusiasm (Jack Daniels might not have helped), but honestly - for me these cans are a revelation smily_headphones1.gif

Only question I have for you not going for the Signature DJ's is - turn down for what? biggrin.gif


(copy post)

Man, I am jacked up to my eyeballs on the new (2 me) designer hit in town - this takes Euphoria to new limits cool.gif

Hit goes under the name of ULTRASONE Signature DJ wink.gif

& it rocks the Part-hey - throw yo mo fo hands up in tha AIR!! biggrin.gif

Get on it and jack it up - this may sound conservative advice, but sell everything and anything you need to get your feed of this need -

but a warning - your need will turn to greed - U just gotta keep up the feed - so take heed pilgrim! tongue.gif

U think U don't want Signature Deejay? U think U turnin down these Mylar marvels? Pfft..... basshead.gif

fy2xdx.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


These things crack me up - hit the sone - it's ULTRA - DJ - drop it! L3000.gif
d14a9b6a_DSC_4360.jpeg

biggrin.gif

Edited by cb3723 - 6/23/14 at 1:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ