or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 106

post #1576 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

More listening and some more observations...

 

Hopefully this will change with the O2/ODAC, but soundstage isn't as expansive as I thought it would be. They sound very forward whereas my Pro 900 and Proline 2500 give some more space in the soundstage. Perhaps this is because midrange is more forward? 

 

Still, detail is strong with these. Particularly in the midrange, I'm hearing more subtle sounds in my tracks than I'm used to. 

 

Still at this point, I think I have a slight preference for my Pro 900. It's just a more intense sound, more V than U shaped. Some people dislike the "harsh" highs on the Pro 900, but I never really found them to be harsh. I can understand where someone that wants a smoother sound might prefer the SIG DJ, though. SIG DJ is just more rounded off in the highs, but it isn't quite as exciting a presentation for me as the highs on the Pro 900. Please keep in mind my music is 95% EDM, so lows and highs are of greatest importance.

 

Also, I find the Pro series Velour pads to be more comfortable than these. Comfort is still good here, but the velour pads get my pick. 

 

So, it's looking like Pro 900 might still be the keeper here. Again, will know more when I test with the O2/ODAC tomorrow.

 

*No doubt, it's a very solid and excellent sounding headphone, but at 2x the price of my Pro 900, I'm not sure it's worth it to me. The two are similar, (you can tell they are both the "ultrasone sound") just that DJ has a less recessed midrange and smoother highs, and Pro 900 has a more recessed midrange and sharper highs. Vocals come out stronger on the SIG DJ. They both handle bass very well.


I had the Sig DJ for about a week and honestly I too preferred the Pro900 to it.  Maybe if I owned it and listened to it for much longer my opinion would change but my opinion, if I don't prefer it right off the bat what's the point of "getting used to the sound".  And to me the comfort was not near as good as the Pro900.

 

Remember, DJ fans, just my opinion.  I liked the DJ, thought it was a great portable but...............

post #1577 of 2456

So the big difference is the top end? How would you guys compare everything else (bass, mid-bass, midrange) ? between sig DJ and pro900?

post #1578 of 2456
My Sig DJ's landed with me last week and the extra bass which is beautifully handled put a smile on my face straight away.

I've had the Sig Pro's for a while now and still love them, but I think I prefer the Sig DJ's if I had to pick one out of the two - it's just got a lot more fun sound to it.

cc2e4843_DSC_4315.jpeg
post #1579 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


I had the Sig DJ for about a week and honestly I too preferred the Pro900 to it.  Maybe if I owned it and listened to it for much longer my opinion would change but my opinion, if I don't prefer it right off the bat what's the point of "getting used to the sound".  And to me the comfort was not near as good as the Pro900.

Remember, DJ fans, just my opinion.  I liked the DJ, thought it was a great portable but...............
You again.....lol
post #1580 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inch View Post
 

So the big difference is the top end? How would you guys compare everything else (bass, mid-bass, midrange) ? between sig DJ and pro900?

 

The difference is that if there's such a thing as an "audiophile" bass lover, the Sig DJ excels most bassy cans out there! It is not as V-shaped as others (with sharp highs) but it is not as "balanced" either as their Signature Pro brother. They are in like a middle ground. I find their wide sound stage to be spectacular and their imaging to be quite good (but I feel cans such as Alpha Dogs, LCD-XC, Shure SRH1540s, etc. are better in the imaging department, though, these are not really basshead headphones, well, maybe the 1540s... maybe...)

 

For me at the end of the day, if I had to choose headphones, it would be either the Sig DJs or my modded Denon D5000 for my "audiophile-basshead" journey and that hasn't changed in a while. If I want less bass emphasis then I jump to my Alpha Dogs or my Enigmas or my Yammies.

 

 

 

And now that I'm mentioning headphones... I have way too many that I don't really use as much!! SALE IS COMING!! LOL

post #1581 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

The difference is that if there's such a thing as an "audiophile" bass lover, the Sig DJ excels most bassy cans out there! It is not as V-shaped as others (with sharp highs) but it is not as "balanced" either as their Signature Pro brother. They are in like a middle ground. I find their wide sound stage to be spectacular and their imaging to be quite good (but I feel cans such as Alpha Dogs, LCD-XC, Shure SRH1540s, etc. are better in the imaging department, though, these are not really basshead headphones, well, maybe the 1540s... maybe...)

 

For me at the end of the day, if I had to choose headphones, it would be either the Sig DJs or my modded Denon D5000 for my "audiophile-basshead" journey and that hasn't changed in a while. If I want less bass emphasis then I jump to my Alpha Dogs or my Enigmas or my Yammies.

 

 

 

And now that I'm mentioning headphones... I have way too many that I don't really use as much!! SALE IS COMING!! LOL

 

The simplest comparison between SIG DJ and PRO 900 appears to my ears to be exactly that.

 

Here is the major difference:

 

*PRO 900 has a V SOUND to it, more recessed midrange and more prominent, sharper highs.

 

*SIG DJ has more of a U SOUND to it, more midrange comes through (vocals for sure) and somewhat more tamed highs.

 

If you're looking for the best EDM experience (no other genres) and can handle a sharper high end (which for me and others like Oregonian pose no problem) as of THIS MOMENT I'd suggest the Pro 900. There is a little extra excitement in the overall sound signature.

 

If you want a better all rounder with excellent detail, clarity, and bass with a smoother high end, SIG DJ might be more your preference. 

 

I also have a D2000 and have been asked to post some comparisons between all three. I will do so when I have more time to listen and note everything down.

 

Without a doubt, all three headphones are excellent (for a basshead) and I am happy they are in my possession.


Edited by TWerk - 6/11/14 at 10:45am
post #1582 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post


You again.....lol

:beerchug:

post #1583 of 2456

Exactly how bright are the Signature DJs in comparison to some other headphones? I'm like 70% sure that they may be tiny bit brighter than I ideally want as I like a pretty lush midrange which doesn't happen if the highs are more prominent than the mids.

post #1584 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 

Exactly how bright are the Signature DJs in comparison to some other headphones? I'm like 70% sure that they may be tiny bit brighter than I ideally want as I like a pretty lush midrange which doesn't happen if the highs are more prominent than the mids.

 

I don't find them as bright as the Q40s as I remember them if that's your standard.

post #1585 of 2456
The Sig DJ is brighter than a Sennheiser HD 650 but far less bright than a Sony EX 1000 and much less bright than a Ultrasone PRO 900. Let me put it this way:
PRO 900 played loud results in strong hiss noise in my ears for at least one full hour. The same on the Sony EX 1000 gets me only slight hiss for some minutes. Same sound level on the SIG DJ results in zero hiss. All three have a decent soundstage for me. SIG DJ and EX 1000 have nice vocals for female and male voices, whereas the PRO 900 tries to hide or veil the voices. As I am a great fan of good voices the PRO 900 and it's open sibling PRO 2900 had to hit Ebay as soon as the SIG DJ entered my stable.
And the bass is much better defined on the SIG DJ than on the PRO 900 also, so what.
Edited by pietcux - 6/11/14 at 2:52pm
post #1586 of 2456

well i finally pulled the trigger on a Sig DJ, have a Pro750 since 7years now. Ill post my thoughts and comparisions

post #1587 of 2456

My question is why are the pads shallow? The drivers rest very close to my ears because of the pads. It's not the most comfortable configuration for a 1K headphone.


Edited by TWerk - 6/11/14 at 8:13pm
post #1588 of 2456

I'm also wondering how you guys wear them, and position your ears in the cups. I have my ears touching the upper back of the pads, which is how I usually wear my headphones, but I know S-logic can sometimes change things.

post #1589 of 2456

These really do have a nice punch/thump in the bass department. This is probably the "impact" that you guys refer to. They do contemporary pop music really well.


Edited by TWerk - 6/12/14 at 7:42pm
post #1590 of 2456

I like how we are gonna have your whole discovery journey in comments. Can't wait for the WOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!

 

 

Btw, I was fooling around with VLC media player, adjusted the 60hz freq 5.4db up... and damn... dat low bass...


Edited by erod - 6/12/14 at 9:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ