or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Signature DJ - Page 105

post #1561 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Update!!! :)

 

In a week or so, I will be a proud owner of the SIG DJ's! 

 

I decided to go for these instead of Fostex 600/900. I'm sure down the line I will try a Fostex, but for now, I couldn't be more excited and happy about buying this HP. It just feels right to start my summit fi with an Ultrasone, since my PRO 900 was my first good quality HP...

 

Will let you guys know my impressions next week! :beerchug: 


Congrats !! Enjoy them.

post #1562 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Update!!! :)

 

In a week or so, I will be a proud owner of the SIG DJ's! 

 

I decided to go for these instead of Fostex 600/900. I'm sure down the line I will try a Fostex, but for now, I couldn't be more excited and happy about buying this HP. It just feels right to start my summit fi with an Ultrasone, since my PRO 900 was my first good quality HP...

 

Will let you guys know my impressions next week! :beerchug: 


Welcome to Da Club. :beerchug:. I will be sending mine for re-cable to BTG soon. Even though these sound nice directly from a DAP , they scale to another level with my Meier Quickstep.

post #1563 of 2456

Congratulation on your purchase -- though summit-fi might be a bit of an exaggeration according to my own listening: they stray quite far from neutral in my opinion.

 

Nevertheless well built, nice looking and a fun sound. Definitely more robust than the TH600/900, so better suited to portable use. Enjoy!

post #1564 of 2456

How do they sound unamped (straight out of iphone or laptop?)

post #1565 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

How do they sound unamped (straight out of iphone or laptop?)

 

 

Judging by my Sig Pro experiences ...... pretty darn good.

post #1566 of 2456
Yes, it can be used directly out of any dap, including the EU capped ones. It pretty much loud enough and provides a nice soundstage. A good amp does not hurt though.
post #1567 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil View Post
 

 

 

Judging by my Sig Pro experiences ...... pretty darn good.

 

 

IME, The Signature pro sound much better from better source though . I found that this can is picky with amp/source and it can sound seriouslu wrong sometimes ( I had bad results with a HM602, FIIO E07k  although it's not so bad from my PC or my phone) . Signs of bad synergy are : muddy bass, more recessed mids , somewhat collapsed soundstage. All flaws almost disappeared when the SP is associated with the best rig I tried (my HD800 rig)

 

I compared these last days with Focal Spirit Classic & Pro ans with a NAD HP50. these one are less sensitive IMO.

 

Do not know for the Sig DJ. :beerchug: 


Edited by Sorrodje - 6/7/14 at 2:32am
post #1568 of 2456

you guys think they would work well with a schiit valhalla2 ?

post #1569 of 2456

Just got my SIG DJ today in the mail!

 

Without a doubt, my initial impressions mirror what I've read of them here. Very detailed throughout + clean/clear sound and a punchy and detailed lower end.

 

The bass is very impressive, punchy, and full of impact. I am rather impressed, although I expected to be!

 

I'm running them out of a Go-DAP X, which isn't the best DAC/AMP in the world. I ordered a ODAC/02 combo unit since I have read good things about it and I listen mostly on my computer. I've read it pairs well with the SIG DJ, and will see on wednesday, when that is expected to arrive. 

 

They do have a slight smell to them, the pads in particular. Probably just the material on them, but curious if anyone else has a smell to their pair.

 

 

More to come...:L3000: 


Edited by TWerk - 6/9/14 at 11:06pm
post #1570 of 2456


It must be that minty fresh smell !

 

Enjoy !

post #1571 of 2456
That smell is the goatskin leather. It will fade away over time. Can be refreshed when replacing the earpads in the future.
post #1572 of 2456

More listening and some more observations...

 

Hopefully this will change with the O2/ODAC, but soundstage isn't as expansive as I thought it would be. They sound very forward whereas my Pro 900 and Proline 2500 give some more space in the soundstage. Perhaps this is because midrange is more forward? 

 

Still, detail is strong with these. Particularly in the midrange, I'm hearing more subtle sounds in my tracks than I'm used to. 

 

Still at this point, I think I have a slight preference for my Pro 900. It's just a more intense sound, more V than U shaped. Some people dislike the "harsh" highs on the Pro 900, but I never really found them to be harsh. I can understand where someone that wants a smoother sound might prefer the SIG DJ, though. SIG DJ is just more rounded off in the highs, but it isn't quite as exciting a presentation for me as the highs on the Pro 900. Please keep in mind my music is 95% EDM, so lows and highs are of greatest importance.

 

Also, I find the Pro series Velour pads to be more comfortable than these. Comfort is still good here, but the velour pads get my pick. 

 

So, it's looking like Pro 900 might still be the keeper here. Again, will know more when I test with the O2/ODAC tomorrow.

 

*No doubt, it's a very solid and excellent sounding headphone, but at 2x the price of my Pro 900, I'm not sure it's worth it to me. The two are similar, (you can tell they are both the "ultrasone sound") just that DJ has a less recessed midrange and smoother highs, and Pro 900 has a more recessed midrange and sharper highs. Vocals come out stronger on the SIG DJ. They both handle bass very well.


Edited by TWerk - 6/10/14 at 3:48pm
post #1573 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

More listening and some more observations...

 

Hopefully this will change with the O2/ODAC, but soundstage isn't as expansive as I thought it would be. They sound very forward whereas my Pro 900 and Proline 2500 give some more space in the soundstage. Perhaps this is because midrange is more forward? 

 

Still, detail is strong with these. Particularly in the midrange, I'm hearing more subtle sounds in my tracks than I'm used to. 

 

Still at this point, I think I have a slight preference for my Pro 900. It's just a more intense sound, more V than U shaped. Some people dislike the "harsh" highs on the Pro 900, but I never really found them to be harsh. I can understand where someone that wants a smoother sound might prefer the SIG DJ, though. SIG DJ is just more rounded off in the highs, but it isn't quite as exciting a presentation for me as the highs on the Pro 900. Please keep in mind my music is 95% EDM, so lows and highs are of greatest importance.

 

Also, I find the Pro series Velour pads to be more comfortable than these. Comfort is still good here, but the velour pads get my pick. 

 

So, it's looking like Pro 900 might still be the keeper here. Again, will know more when I test with the O2/ODAC tomorrow.

 

*No doubt, it's a very solid and excellent sounding headphone, but at 2x the price of my Pro 900, I'm not sure it's worth it to me. The two are similar, (you can tell they are both the "ultrasone sound") just that DJ has a less recessed midrange and smoother highs, and Pro 900 has a more recessed midrange and sharper highs. Vocals come out stronger on the SIG DJ. They both handle bass very well. It doesn't seem necessary to keep both because of their similarities.


Twerk, you might give yourself a little more time to adjust to the soud of the Sig Dj. IMHO they are better in all regards, after you get adjusted. For me the first impression of new audio gear is very good, the second is not good at all and the third after some days is wow or not, depending of the real quality the gear has.......

post #1574 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 


Twerk, you might give yourself a little more time to adjust to the soud of the Sig Dj. IMHO they are better in all regards, after you get adjusted. For me the first impression of new audio gear is very good, the second is not good at all and the third after some days is wow or not, depending of the real quality the gear has.......

 

I do understand the tendency to judge critically in the initial stages when evaluating a new HP, and will give things more time, but this is the most "current" opinion that I have.

 

It's just not the "wow" of improvement I was expecting. My ears just don't agree with the bolded statement.

 

Switching back and forth I still like pro 900. I like the highs more and the bass is fantastic. The treble is what I love most about Pro 900, where it is more "sharp" for lack of a better way describe it. SIG DJ is more smooth sounding (up top and all over), which some may prefer. EDM just sounds more fun on the 900. Slightly more engaging. Soundstage is different, and Pro 900 sounds more expansive. If I had choice to keep one RIGHT NOW, I'd choose pro 900 regardless of price.

 

I'm wondering if your poor experience with pro 900 was because of pads. One pair of pads I have for my 900 sounds noticeably worse than the other. It makes the bass flabbier and unfocused. I'd love to send you my 900 to see what you think but seeing as you live in Germany, it'd be expensive.

 

 

*Again, most of this is just coming from plugging them right into my macbook. Things might change with the AMP DAC combo, which might better show the potential of each headphone.


Edited by TWerk - 6/10/14 at 3:49pm
post #1575 of 2456

Your impressions will definitely change as you adjust to the new sound, and you will be very pleased.

 

I jumped from Denon D1100 to sig dj, and at first listen I only noticed the better highs. I was so used to the cavernous sound that the sig's sound seemed off to me. That opinion changed after about a week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Signature DJ