Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews. - Page 50

post #736 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I asked V-MODA support about it since a lot of people are wondering and they charge you right away.

 

 

The M-80's are amongst the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever touched (the Beats Mixr is probably the worst). The earpads are barely cushioned and the headband is tiny.

 

That being said, the M-100 is much more comfortable in that regards (well cushioned earpads that are squishy and a large headband). The pad are so squishy in fact that some people's ears (including myself) touch the driver enclosure which may cause discomfort after extended periods of use.

 

 

As for sound, from memory, the M-100 is better than the M-80 in every aspect. Slightly wider and much deeper soundstage, better sound isolation, treble that is actually present in tracks, more forward midrange but still slightly recessed, an elevated bass response that is more suited for mobile listening rather than a fairly neutral bass response.

Comfort for the M-80s tend to vary - it took me quite awhile to get them to be actually comfortable, but now they're actually even more comfortable than the M-100s, due to my large ears.  I was able to mod the M-100s to have acceptable comfort though.

post #737 of 924

Any comparison of the M100 VS Amperior? someone who has tested both for a few months at least..

post #738 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiNiCK View Post

M-100 or DT 1350?

Depends on what you want. The best forward mids you'll ever hear out of a supraaural can with an analytical slant? Or some really fun cans?

 

You can probably guess my choice based on my signature when push comes to shove.

post #739 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towwers View Post

Any comparison of the M100 VS Amperior? someone who has tested both for a few months at least..


I haven't owned the M-100 for a few months since it hasn't been out that long and only owned the Amperior for a few weeks, but I feel that was long enough to evaluate.  Simply put, M-100 is far superior across the board- bass tightness/punch, midrange detail, smoother high end with no sibilance and excellent imaging.  The only area where Amperior is close is in regard to bass punch.  M-100 bass extends far deeper.  Amperior mids sound muddy by comparison and highs seem harsh by comparison.  Also, Amperior does not scale as well with amping.

post #740 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by robble View Post

Depends on what you want. The best forward mids you'll ever hear out of a supraaural can with an analytical slant? Or some really fun cans?

You can probably guess my choice based on my signature when push comes to shove.

which is really fun cans? lol
post #741 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiNiCK View Post


which is really fun cans? lol


I consider the M-100 a fun audiophile headphone.

post #742 of 924
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I consider the M-100 a fun audiophile headphone.

+1. It makes some compromises to sound fun, but overall, it's still extremely detailed.

post #743 of 924

Shunted my review onto the first page if anyone's particularly curious.

 

Anyway yes, fun audiophile headphone. fun fun fun.

 

 

 

Quote:
which is really fun cans? lol

Fun is one way of saying it, and I have been saying it. Another way I guess is that, at least for most genres, the M-100's are a more "musical" headphone, cans that I can just listen and enjoy grooving with my music. The DT1350's are fantastic cans, extremely detailed and accurate, but as more analytical cans, they're less appealing to listen to when I just want to enjoy my music. That isn't to say the M-100's aren't detailed. They are. Just not as accurate. But its compromises are few and what we get for a bit of give is a lot of take.


Edited by robble - 11/8/12 at 9:13am
post #744 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I haven't owned the M-100 for a few months since it hasn't been out that long and only owned the Amperior for a few weeks, but I feel that was long enough to evaluate.  Simply put, M-100 is far superior across the board- bass tightness/punch, midrange detail, smoother high end with no sibilance and excellent imaging.  The only area where Amperior is close is in regard to bass punch.  M-100 bass extends far deeper.  Amperior mids sound muddy by comparison and highs seem harsh by comparison.  Also, Amperior does not scale as well with amping.


I do find the M-100's to be near-sibilant though, or at least with whatever frequency initial snare drum hits are.

 

As for amping, I don't know how the AMPerior scales, but the M-100 doesn't benefit too much from an amp. With the 2 external amps I have and through a home receiver system, really, only the gut-hitting bass thump, the soundstage, and instrument separation are slightly increased. It's not a huge difference.

post #745 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I do find the M-100's to be near-sibilant though, or at least with whatever frequency initial snare drum hits are.

 

As for amping, I don't know how the AMPerior scales, but the M-100 doesn't benefit too much from an amp. With the 2 external amps I have and through a home receiver system, really, only the gut-hitting bass thump, the soundstage, and instrument separation are slightly increased. It's not a huge difference.


I agree the operative word is near sibilant.  I think about the months of discussion behind the scenes regarding their signature and tuning and how the M-100 effectively walks along multiple lines- bright without being sibilant; powerful bass without becoming a basshead can and still providing audiophile-quality reproduction (IMO).

 

Regarding amping, I agree regarding the mids and highs, but disagree regarding bass impact with amping.  Comparing bass-heavy tracks with Iphone only vs. FiiO E11 on bass boost setting #2, I would say amping can turn the M-100 into a modest, but satisfying, basshead can.

post #746 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I agree the operative word is near sibilant.  I think about the months of discussion behind the scenes regarding their signature and tuning and how the M-100 effectively walks along multiple lines- bright without being sibilant; powerful bass without becoming a basshead can and still providing audiophile-quality reproduction (IMO).

 

Regarding amping, I agree regarding the mids and highs, but disagree regarding bass impact with amping.  Comparing bass-heavy tracks with Iphone only vs. FiiO E11 on bass boost setting #2, I would say amping can turn the M-100 into a modest, but satisfying, basshead can.

Well yeah, adding a bass boost amplification is going to increase the bass of course, I'm not saying it doesn't because if it didn't, the "bass boost" would be defective. XD

With a fairly transparent/neutral amplification, the M-100 delivers slightly more bass thump.

post #747 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Well yeah, adding a bass boost amplification is going to increase the bass of course, I'm not saying it doesn't because if it didn't, the "bass boost" would be defective. XD

With a fairly transparent/neutral amplification, the M-100 delivers slightly more bass thump.


Makes sense.

post #748 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by robble View Post

Shunted my review onto the first page if anyone's particularly curious.

Anyway yes, fun audiophile headphone. fun fun fun.



Fun is one way of saying it, and I have been saying it. Another way I guess is that, at least for most genres, the M-100's are a more "musical" headphone, cans that I can just listen and enjoy grooving with my music. The DT1350's are fantastic cans, extremely detailed and accurate, but as more analytical cans, they're less appealing to listen to when I just want to enjoy my music. That isn't to say the M-100's aren't detailed. They are. Just not as accurate. But its compromises are few and what we get for a bit of give is a lot of take.

hmm going to be a hard decision then on which to get...
I guess I'll have to get the DT-1350 since M-100 isnt fully shipped.
post #749 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiNiCK View Post


hmm going to be a hard decision then on which to get...
I guess I'll have to get the DT-1350 since M-100 isnt fully shipped.


Just some food for thought if you can be patient- I have seen more than a few DT1350s for sale from frequent posters on this thread.

post #750 of 924
These sound awesome. Maybe as a Xmas gift? sadly $300 is just too steep for me right now. Can't wait to hear more about these. I may settle on some M80s:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.