or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews. - Page 27

post #391 of 924

I actually stuff cotton balls between the pads and driver on a few headphones (supra aural/or semi-circumaural aka Momentum) for comfort.  I don't detect any audible changes.  

post #392 of 924

(Already posted this stuff in the other thread).

 

My unboxing (sort of) video!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post

Can someone compare the soundstage of the M-100 with a HD598, using this:

 

 

 

First off, sorry for the double post, but I had a bit of time to test this.

 

I also own the HD 598's and thought I would give it a shot. I tested first with the M-100, and then with the 598.

 

Both performed exceptionally well. The 598 provided better clarity and sense of space, however, I felt that the smaller (yet still spacious) soundstage of the M-100 captured the feel of a small room like the one used above more realistically. I believe this just may be situational because of the space they used and the signature of the M-100. The M-100 also had the bonus of those really really satisfying low reverberations, especially in the bit after he says 'Alteration.'

 

Conclusion: The 598 has a larger and clearer soundstage, but the M100 was the can that made me melt in my chair with a smile on my face with the sounds of the video. A very good comparison.

post #393 of 924

So are you guys saying that you take the pads off and fill them with more stuff?

post #394 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

I wonder how it'd change the sound though?

 

Like I said, you don't want a thick layer, as thin added extra layer as possible that avoids the ear touching the driver casing of whatever material you might have handy (for me kitchen paper roll always did the trick, usually I use a half piece of paper ark per cup for a fullsize headphone rolled-up to aprox 1cm wide roll that I simply stuff underneath the pads). If added layer is thin enough it won't be a noticable change in sound, but definitely a big change in comfort for all headphones where the driver casing is rubbing against your ears. Simple, cheap and so effective solution, another positive thing is that the inner-circumference of the pads also tend to get ever so slightly bigger doing so, so might fit your ears better inside too.

 

On the Q40 which also have extremely shallow stock pads, I've had the same paper rolls stuffed underneath the pads now since I first added them, I've NEVER needed to adjust it (in case you're afriad of it easily popping out of place) and it has held up fine for 1~1½ years of use so far maybe with this same paper pieces so it won't have to be swapped too often either.

 

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 10/12/12 at 1:10pm
post #395 of 924

review posted on first page.

post #396 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

M-100 Sonic Review



By far the strongest sonic trait of the M-100 is it's rendering of its bass. At least to my ears, this is the defining signature of these headphones. Before getting into the nitty gritty details, overall I felt the headphones had a somewhat U-shaped signature. In my conversations with Val, it's really more the prominence of the bass and slight forwardness in the trebles give this perception. The mids are somewhat more neutral/flat however due to the characteristics of the bass and trebles, the perception appears U-shaped.

This is what I was afraid of. I have heard more than a few times that this was supposed to be an "audiophile" headphone, but I guess not. I am sure it will sell well, as most non-audiophile customers prefer this bass-forward ultra-crisp approach. I guess I'll have to wait until I hear them myself, though this definitely weathers my excitement.
post #397 of 924

The M100 pads isn't removable, is it?

post #398 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

The M100 pads isn't removable, is it?

They are, but there aren't any replacement pads available yet!

post #399 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post


This is what I was afraid of. I have heard more than a few times that this was supposed to be an "audiophile" headphone, but I guess not. I am sure it will sell well, as most non-audiophile customers prefer this bass-forward ultra-crisp approach. I guess I'll have to wait until I hear them myself, though this definitely weathers my excitement.

Are you trolling? Do you think that all audiophiles loathe bass?

post #400 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post


This is what I was afraid of. I have heard more than a few times that this was supposed to be an "audiophile" headphone, but I guess not. I am sure it will sell well, as most non-audiophile customers prefer this bass-forward ultra-crisp approach. I guess I'll have to wait until I hear them myself, though this definitely weathers my excitement.


The M-100 has become my reference headphone.

post #401 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphen View Post

Are you trolling? Do you think that all audiophiles loathe bass?

Exactly. Apparently all headphones need to have a certain specific frequency response to be considered acceptable for "audiophiles".

post #402 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddypdler View Post

Exactly. Apparently all headphones need to have a certain specific frequency response to be considered acceptable for "audiophiles".

Let's also not forget Val's comment a month or so ago regarding the use of eq's.  After hearing the headphones I have to agree - because the bass on the M-100 has no detrimental side effects (ie, it's not bleeding into the mids or muddy do to excessiveness) all you need to do is turn down the bass in your EQ if you think it's over the top.

post #403 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnio View Post

Let's also not forget Val's comment a month or so ago regarding the use of eq's.  After hearing the headphones I have to agree - because the bass on the M-100 has no detrimental side effects (ie, it's not bleeding into the mids or muddy do to excessiveness) all you need to do is turn down the bass in your EQ if you think it's over the top.

Unacceptable. Everything with bass is for casual mainstreamers who only think they're interested in SQ but are in general the Beats by Dre audience.

post #404 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphen View Post

Unacceptable. Everything with bass is for casual mainstreamers who only think they're interested in SQ but are in general the Beats by Dre audience.


I would venture a guess that Anakchan would disagree with you.  (or you're being sarcastic)

post #405 of 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnio View Post


I would venture a guess that Anakchan would disagree with you.  (or you're being sarcastic)

Very sarcastic. I love bass. So I guess that makes me a Beatslover to Mr/Mrs, Speakerphile. 

Ridicculous.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.