or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR - Page 139

post #2071 of 3296

Can Sound Blaster ZxR capture/recording 32kHz @ 24-bit using Toslink/SPDIF input ?

post #2072 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneLt View Post
 

Read here that someone had a success with connecting expansion board, even if You are not using it. But 2 faulty board seems too much, could be problem with system, try:

 

1. Upgrade Your mobo BIOS to the latest version, don't forget to reset to factory defaults after update

2. Disable on-boar audio, though it shouldn't be a problem

3. Wipe all drivers. And update all system drives like Intel Chipset, video..

4. Finally install card, use 2 PCI-E x 1 closest to CPU

 

GL 

 

UPD 1. Mobo BIOS not DRIVER :)

 

sigh i formatted my pc and everything was going great now im getting the same issue.  in my device manager i get a SB Recon3D PCIe and Sound Blaster Audio Controller, and everything else is the high definition audio device. i dont know why im getting this issue.  i will try the bios update next i suppose

post #2073 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
 

Can Sound Blaster ZxR capture/recording 32kHz @ 24-bit using Toslink/SPDIF input ?

16-bit to 24-bit Recording Sample Rates: 8,11.025,16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 96 (kHz)    

 

As specs. says

   
post #2074 of 3296

Audigy FX for 25€ with SBX Pro features seems to be the best entry for all those that use an external dac/amp. 

 

The SBX Pro Studio panel looks a bit different though, check out the 3D/Stereo selection.

 

 

 

http://www.hw-journal.de/index.php/testberichte/audio/1188-test-creative-sound-blaster-audigy-fx?start=1

post #2075 of 3296
It uses Realtek ALC898 DAC/ADC. It's not necessarily a bad choice. It's likely quite a but better than Asus DG.
post #2076 of 3296

Yeah but with going optical out to the DAC/AMP it doesn't really matter and then it's all about the SBX Software. I'm prettys sure it's the same as our Z(xR).

post #2077 of 3296

Question, can I use SBX processing for music listening? and if I can, how does it compare to this http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss?

post #2078 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
 

Question, can I use SBX processing for music listening? and if I can, how does it compare to this http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss?

 

Yes you can and it works decent but I would recommend that dolby headphone instead, I think it works better.

 

The way I have it setup is that I use the optical toslink out on the ZXR to my dac. So if I'm playing games I get all the soundblaster effects going out there.

 

However - when I'm playing music I have foobar set to wasapi event and the toslink output so it bypasses all windows and sound blaster effects.

 

It's great combo, best of both worlds without changing a single setting. :wink: 

post #2079 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
 

Yeah but with going optical out to the DAC/AMP it doesn't really matter and then it's all about the SBX Software. I'm prettys sure it's the same as our Z(xR).

audigy FX has no optical out tho :p 

post #2080 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFGR View Post

audigy FX has no optical out tho tongue.gif 
Indeed. naughty.gif
post #2081 of 3296

doh, you're right. I automatically assumed it to have one. :|

post #2082 of 3296

I just got the HD650s and I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the amplification. I'm leaning towards ZxR as I said two pages before, but some folks keep telling me to go the external route. The problem is that I think I'll need those Sound Blaster effects for gaming and movies. Should I consider going external and get a cheap Sound Blaster Z instead to retain those gaming features?

 

@TwoEars, you said earlier that ZxR and HD650s make a great combo and that the sound card has no problems driving the headphones. But will its Amp chip bring the HD650s closer to full potential? I see you have an external DAC connected to the card through Optical-out, so you are completely bypassing its own DAC chip and amplification.

 

Another option I'm considering is getting now the ZxR card and later add to the chain a tube amp like Schiit Valhalla if I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound output. 


Edited by Manel - 3/22/14 at 7:48pm
post #2083 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneLt View Post
 
16-bit to 24-bit Recording Sample Rates: 8,11.025,16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 96 (kHz)    

 

As specs. says

   

 

It won't says which input.  It could be just analogue, in which it would be 100% useless to me.

 

It needs to be from Toslink or SPDIF.  The specs says nothing about it.


Edited by Gradius - 3/22/14 at 9:41pm
post #2084 of 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manel View Post
 

I just got the HD650s and I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the amplification. I'm leaning towards ZxR as I said two pages before, but some folks keep telling me to go the external route. The problem is that I think I'll need those Sound Blaster effects for gaming and movies. Should I consider going external and get a cheap Sound Blaster Z instead to retain those gaming features?

 

@TwoEars, you said earlier that ZxR and HD650s make a great combo and that the sound card has no problems driving the headphones. But will its Amp chip bring the HD650s closer to full potential? I see you have an external DAC connected to the card through Optical-out, so you are completely bypassing its own DAC chip and amplification.

 

Another option I'm considering is getting now the ZxR card and later add to the chain a tube amp like Schiit Valhalla if I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound output. 

 

"Full potential" is so subjective. You'll find people around here who's spent $5000 on dacs and amps who still are trying to bring out the full potential of their headphones....

 

But yes. I've got the Anedio D1, that's at least a $800 DAC even on the second hand market. It'll take something like that to beat the ZXR, don't bother with less.

 

But let me put it like this, if I was gaming and not listening to music I don't think I'd be able to tell if I was listening to the ZXR or my Anedio. So the ZXR and its amp is pretty damn good.

 

Get the ZXR now and be happy is my advice, if you want you can always upgrade with a an external amp or dac later.

 

Good choice on the HD650 btw.:smile: 


Edited by TwoEars - 3/23/14 at 12:21am
post #2085 of 3296

About the recording capabilities of the card, what's the SB Z's latency like with asio drivers? I'm looking to plug a guitar (preamp'ed) into the soundcard, and process that signal through Amplitube. If its really 1ms as advertised I think I'm getting it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR