- 530 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sound quality of Creative SB X-FI Surround 5.1 Pro? Last post on 5/7/14 at 10:40pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sound Blaster Celebrates CanJam London! Exclusive online deals! Last post on 8/28/15 at 4:27pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- DAC vs AMP Last post on 4/4/15 at 9:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Exclusive CanJam SoCal Promo Code for Head-Fi.org customers Last post on 4/5/15 at 7:05pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Creative Introduces the E-MU® XM7 High Performance Passive Bookshelf Speakers Last post on 4/27/16 at 7:39pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR - Page 109post #1621 of 32981/11/14 at 7:09amThat's a common complaint with the z and flash content. I thought they had fixed it.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1622 of 32981/11/14 at 8:53amCrystalizer doesn't seem to be that bad if SBX is on.
I do think that these headphones sound better through line out though. It's a shame that it's not possible to select headphone mode for line out.
Edited by Anarion - 1/11/14 at 10:54ampost #1623 of 32981/12/14 at 7:19pm
I am waiting for a new pair of X1's to arrive so that I can test the Titanium HD and ZxR out. I'm sort of suspicious the TiHD is more pinpoint accurate.
When I switched between SBX and Scout mode on the ZxR, Scout Mode seemed too loud in terms of range to target, so it (Gun fire) sounded closer than it actually was and the SBX felt better in terms of volume to target, but sort of mushy vague.
Clear as mud, it's going to be interesting.
Waynepost #1624 of 32981/14/14 at 2:30am
I bought the Soundblaster Z today, great little card for 60$. Headphone output sounds surprisingly good so far with my Audio-Technicas. I will use the SBZ as a source for the Vali.post #1625 of 32981/14/14 at 3:10amQuote:
Let us know how the headphone out to vali chain sounds. I'm curious as to how loud it gets.post #1626 of 32981/14/14 at 11:42pmSo I did some in depth testing with optical out to my reciever.
These conclusions are valid for both the z and zxr as I owned both.
Some info for some of you first.
Dolby live only supports 16/48 max and DTS connect supports 24/48 max.
So setting it higher(in both speaker or spdif devices) may result in the sbz downmixing to DTS or DD specs anyways when it sends the bitstream.
This is where I did my testing. My reciever displays the stream frequency and bit rate on my TV as an OSD.
As it turns out, when in DD or DTS encoding mode, the frequency and bitrate in windows don't matter. The
Encoder specifies its own max rates and frequencies as per the dolby and DTS max specs I listed above. So as long as your receiver supports DTS or DD, it should receive the signal and it gets decoded as usual.
The frequency and rate on windows only matters in stereo regular mode. Meaning without encoding on. When using either the speaker or spdif devices.
What also matters is whether you set headphone or 5.1 speaker mode. To get all 5 channels you need to set 5.1 speaker mode in the sbz panel. This one seems obvious however you wouldn't believe the amount of people I hear complain and then it turns out this was the reason.
Also there is quite a bit of delay for both encoding methods. I estimate roughly 100ms of delay which is bad for gaming and very unimmersive. Effectively making the z terrible for 5.1 gaming through optical to speakers.
Basically unusable. Stereo with sbx surround on is the only way to go realistically.
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 1/15/14 at 2:50ampost #1627 of 32981/15/14 at 1:08ampost #1628 of 32981/15/14 at 1:17amYa exact same testing with the same results.
Only thing is I wanted to wait to put these results out until I had both. But i wasn't expecting a change in results since they both use the same DSP chip.
From what I am hearing DD live and DTS algorithms are responsible for the delay and no matter what spu you have it will be the same delay. Creative reps confirmed this over on their support forums years ago apparently.
I would like to hear from x-fi owners too if they get a delay as well? It seems 50/50 of owners experience this. Might just be some people aren't very perceptive to this delay similar to them not noticing above 60 fps. Lag can be subjective depending on how your brain processes what it sees and hears.
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 1/15/14 at 2:54ampost #1629 of 32981/15/14 at 1:58ampost #1630 of 32981/15/14 at 4:35amQuote:I ended up reinstalling windows 8.1 pro from scratch directly from 8.1 pro iso, I don't have that issue any more (I had corrupted W8 pro install before upgrading to W8.1 pro thanks to faulty memory so it was about time to do the reinstall).
Edited by Anarion - 1/15/14 at 4:36ampost #1631 of 32981/15/14 at 4:36amQuote:
I never did however a lot of people did apparently.
Glad your z is behaving itself now.post #1632 of 32981/15/14 at 5:41ampost #1633 of 32981/15/14 at 5:45amQuote:
Lol no no I edited that later because you mentioned it. I figured that it would be best to mention that lol.
Your eyesight is still finepost #1634 of 32981/15/14 at 6:04am
- Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 38 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer SE-MS7BT around ear wireless 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 4 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget dual mono... 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 4 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear