Now you're mixing up 2 different products: Nano Patch and M-Patch (about twice as expensive).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sound quality of Creative SB X-FI Surround 5.1 Pro? Last post on 5/7/14 at 10:40pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sound Blaster Celebrates CanJam London! Exclusive online deals! Last post on 8/28/15 at 4:27pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- DAC vs AMP Last post on 4/4/15 at 9:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Exclusive CanJam SoCal Promo Code for Head-Fi.org customers Last post on 4/5/15 at 7:05pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Creative Introduces the E-MU® XM7 High Performance Passive Bookshelf Speakers Last post on 4/27/16 at 7:39pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Apple is really doing it: they're taking a brand that has the dominant marketshare in the headphone marketplace despite having had subpar audio quality, and greatly improving it while adding...
I would like to thank Ken from Campfire Audio for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Introduction ALO Audio has been an established name in the industry for...
Introduction The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) is a company that I am very fond of. I absolutely loved their previous flagship, the TFZ Series 5 and praised it with very high word. It became one of my...
From the Doukaudio website: "Shenzheng Cavins Technology Co.,LTD has been established since 2014.. We are devoted to design and research of hi-end level of audio equipments under our own brand...
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR - Page 90post #1336 of 329611/16/13 at 2:11pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1337 of 329611/16/13 at 2:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by SaLX
I've heard very few people who have actually used this method... theory is (from the kind posters here - do a search in this thread): a very clean amp with as little gain as possible. The O2 has an internal jumper setting for 1x gain, and I'm sure you could get it ordered that way. This would work best with a low impedance/sensitive headphone because any higher and it would presumably be too quiet. Always plusses and drawbacks.
A guy on the Fidelio X1 thread used a Magni on of his SBZ headphone out and reported it to work perfectly. I don't think there's any jumper settings in that thing.
That would be quite unfortunate if it needed to be low sensitivity as I have switched to the AKG Q701s. My understanding is that it they are pretty insensitive.post #1338 of 329611/16/13 at 2:20pmpost #1339 of 329611/16/13 at 2:29pmQuote:
Yeah they are 62ohms so they don't require TOO much power, have the Z/Windows Audio Panel hovering around 40% most of the time. But a lot of people on the Q701 appreciation thread always make fun of the sensitivity of them and howthey require a power plant for them to be driven well.post #1340 of 329611/16/13 at 3:30pmQuote:[...] how they require a power plant for them to be driven well.
That's typical audiophile nonsense. For a comparison with other headphones see this table. There are a lot of other headphones, some with much higher impedance, that need more power.
If you listen to compressed music you need like 6 milliwatts max for a loud average 85 dB SPL.
watsaname, can you go to the Sound control panel, properties of the Sound Blaster Z, Level, right click the slider and select decibel. How many - dB are 40%?
Edited by xnor - 11/16/13 at 3:42pmpost #1341 of 329611/16/13 at 3:39pm
Excuse me xnor, but I've consistently heard that AKG's require a decent amount of juice to get them sounding their best - as opposed to what you can get away with.This thread however isn't the place for this discussion - so let's leave it be please.post #1342 of 329611/16/13 at 3:55pm
Extra power does not improve sound, but can cause the opposite, and when you have to turn the volume all the way down all the extra power is not being used at all. I always ask this: why don't you drive your headphones with two 1000 W monoblocks? I guess a $99 headphone amp with fixed 5x gain that is well-known around here with sensitive headphones is bad enough.
Alright, I'm leaving it be now.
Edited by xnor - 11/16/13 at 4:00pmpost #1343 of 329611/16/13 at 4:10pmpost #1344 of 329611/16/13 at 4:39pmpost #1345 of 329611/16/13 at 5:47pm
Aaargh no xnor!!! I apologise for saying that - wrong context please. Wrong end of stick and willl look into it I promise!!!
Shrip.. it said to recommended to increase the volume ... oh dear???? Last time I ran that program (or collection of regfixes), it truly worked for some file access error or something. I've had that same problem on and off years - I now want to solve it so the next time it happens I'd know exactly what to do.post #1346 of 329611/16/13 at 5:57pmI have a question.
The specs on Creative's site say that the SBZ only supports 5.1 surround sound. Does this mean that it can only output in 5.1 surround sound, or that it doesn't support it at all? I plan on using it for gaming with a sterio headset, so I don't mind that it only outputs 5.1. Does it accept 7.1 input?post #1347 of 329611/16/13 at 6:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by thePhysicist8
I have a question.
The specs on Creative's site say that the SBZ only supports 5.1 surround sound. Does this mean that it can only output in 5.1 surround sound, or that it doesn't support it at all? I plan on using it for gaming with a sterio headset, so I don't mind that it only outputs 5.1. Does it accept 7.1 input?
The z can output stereo or 5.1 via 3.5 mm connections.
The card does not accept 7.1. At least not directly. 7.1 signals are down mixed to 5.1 in the windows mixer before hitting the z.
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 11/16/13 at 6:49pmpost #1348 of 329611/18/13 at 2:08pmGot mine in today!
Haven't plugged it in yet, but I made an unboxing video (not long) for YouTube and eventually my head-fi journal. I'm going to set it up while I wait for it to upload... Any suggestions on uninstalling the Recon3D USB drivers?
technically... the 3.5 mm jack always outputs stereo, it's just optionally that stereo has been processed to "sound" surround. If you plugged a 5.1 speaker surround setup into the 3.5mm feed, it wouldn't play through the correct speakers, BUT the optical out can send a 5.1 (or 7.1) signal in Dolby or DTS format to a home-theater receiver or something. Also, the sound card supports 5.1 (or 7.1, or OpenAL) channels of input sound from a DVD or game or web-thing, but the optical input from what I read doesn't decode DDL from external sources like a PS3.
The Q701 is relatively low-sensitivity for it's impedance, but it is still relatively easy to get enough volume. I've found that it's better to look for low-distortion, low output impedance amps, and then implementation matters too though it's hard to know what something will sound like without hearing it.
Over-loud amps do put listening volume below the sweet spot on the potentiometer/volume control, but vice-versa something underpowered can put listening volume where the amp starts to distort. There is also lot of talk about voltage vs current, and how much a certain headphone requires what... Off and on I do research on this, but it's important to keep in mind other factors that may be affecting the final sound.
In the end, I can only say I like the different amps I've heard, and they each have affected the sound differently in minute ways.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/18/13 at 3:03pmpost #1349 of 329611/18/13 at 2:56pmWhat? I think your confused in what he was asking and what I was saying.
The z supports full 5.1 out through its three line out 3.5mm ports. FL/FR, RL/RR, C/SUB
And like I said the card can output 5.1 only via analogue or optical with encoding.
The card only accepts 5.1 as evident from the windows mixer settings. 7.1 is down mixed.
If you are using openal, its coordinate based as opposed to discrete channels so it mixes its own hrtf anyway. At least to headphones. So 5.1/7.1 is irrelevant.
I'd you use openal with 5.1 speakers out, then it will map coordinates into discrete channels. Similar to how one of the cmss3d modes does. That's from what I remember anyway.
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 11/18/13 at 3:06pmpost #1350 of 329611/18/13 at 5:11pmNo I wasn't confused... Though I forgot that the Z uses multiple 3.5mm outputs if you want a 5.1 surround setup, I was just trying to clarify that you can't plug a home theatre into the one 3.5mm jack and expect 5.1 to work properly on six speakers.
You CAN choose the headphone jack to play stereo or virtual surround, and you CAN output DDL 5.1 from the optical out to connect to a home theater, you CAN connect multiple speakers to the multiple 3.5 jacks and get a desktop 5.1 speaker setup, but you CANNOT connect a game console to the card and get 5.1 input... with a console, you can only input stereo, for licensing reasons.
- Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Music Game IX 19 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 30 seconds ago
- › Could the Fiio AM5 drive the AKG q701? 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › [Trade] AK100 + phones/iem + £s (wtd: dac or phones) [GBP/UK] 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Opus OPUS #11 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Grade Fuses 4 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Xduoo X3 Copper 5 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 7 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing from 9 different in-ear headphones 10 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphone - Black by MICHAELSD
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear