Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR - Page 80

post #1186 of 2504
Lol I said what?

I'm confused :s
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 10/27/13 at 2:21am
post #1187 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJINFERNO806 View Post

LOL^ this!

This is why I never recommended them on here.  They will not fix stability or big issues from the sock drivers as they are just ini tweaks.

I even said in the overclock forums that I dont recommend them since the author doesnt even own the hardware and sais there are probably bugs.  yaa...nooo..

Gone are the days of full x-fi custom drivers.  Creative hasn't released(and probably never will) the source code for the z drivers.  Without it, there's not much more you can do except eq tweaks and profile changes.  Robert was always known to be a basshead so his drivers will reflect that taste in their tweaks.  Personally I dont like my sound being messed with unless I DO IT.
Yep. He basically messes with EQ and claims that is offers better sound quality (and some OMG BASSS!!!1111 people get fooled). I think he even claims better performance too. As far as I know he has never done anything other than tweaked the ini a bit and copied some newer DLL's from new drivers for older cards if they worked. By the looks of it "Rob's drivers" are more like fix and break something that doesn't need fixing. Also yeah, I don't think he even own Z/Zx/ZxR cards.

Daniel_K actually fixes stuff that are broken. While those are usually ini and registry fixes too mixed with new dll's from new drivers, he doesn't speak nonsense about them.
post #1188 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsaname View Post
 

Didn't Asus drop support for their Xonar cards, basically making everyone rely on 3rd party drivers for it to function well?


On Asus's website there are sound card drivers updates that are less then a month old, so can't see how anyone could say Asus stopped supporting their sound cards.

But I myself do prefer to use the third drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers".

post #1189 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post


Yep. He basically messes with EQ and claims that is offers better sound quality (and some OMG BASSS!!!1111 people get fooled). I think he even claims better performance too. As far as I know he has never done anything other than tweaked the ini a bit and copied some newer DLL's from new drivers for older cards if they worked. By the looks of it "Rob's drivers" are more like fix and break something that doesn't need fixing. Also yeah, I don't think he even own Z/Zx/ZxR cards.

Daniel_K actually fixes stuff that are broken. While those are usually ini and registry fixes too mixed with new dll's from new drivers, he doesn't speak nonsense about them.

 

And you know the funny part is that people actually seem to "hear" better quality from each driver version to the next, akin to that of extra performance from a old GPU driver to a newer one... whatever, as long as this Rob guy doesn't go around charging for his drivers and making himself entitled to be Creative's saving grace.

post #1190 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post

And you know the funny part is that people actually seem to "hear" better quality from each driver version to the next, akin to that of extra performance from a old GPU driver to a newer one... whatever, as long as this Rob guy doesn't go around charging for his drivers and making himself entitled to be Creative's saving grace.

post #1191 of 2504

You know, I once installed a PAX driver to a X-Fi Fatality with the big i/o module attached to it because I thought it would maybe clear the driver resets. I didn't know by then that PAX was just about EQing but it was more annoyance and desperation (I hate complete new installations). You don't wanna know what terrifying dangerous thing happened during installation.....

 

Good to careful and not have headphones on during any sound card driver install that checks outputs, gain etc.... Sounds ridiculous but it proved to be pretty clever.

post #1192 of 2504

Sorry for banging on about this but I'd not seen this before (has anybody? Did I miss it somehow? Is it new?):

 

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=121466

 

This could've answered a lot of questions that have been asked here previously. The one thing it specifically doesn't answer (and I'm thinking about your average Joe looking on Creative's Knowledgebase for answers) is, as we now know, the user you can then go on to select to output in "headphone mode" via Toslink. An extra screen illustrating this would've been good.

 

Until a few days a go, I never realised that in the speaker drop down box you could select headphones as well, or "Kopfhorers" :smile: . When people say yes it works in headphone mode, I hope they've not been meaning this? Not that you want to by all accounts, seeing as Speakers mode doesn't do HRTF well - but why put it in? (Image taken from the Recon3D CP):

 

 

And thanks all for putting up with me.


Edited by SaLX - 10/29/13 at 6:02am
post #1193 of 2504
You can select it but guess what happens to the headphone/speaker switch (and line out sound) then?
post #1194 of 2504
Ya the drop down is the same thing as that quick switch on top. The quick switch just switches from headphone mode to your last known "speaker" mode whether that was 5.1 or stereo or stereo direct. Just a more convenient way instead of going through a list.
post #1195 of 2504

Ahhhhhhhhhh. :smile: Many thanks Anarion and DJ!

post #1196 of 2504
I was just about to pick up one of the Z series so I can drive my newly acquired DT990 Pros. I was reading on another site about a bunch of driver issues with the Z's. Do any of you guys have that issue? My PC will primarily be for gaming and currently have an older X-Fi Titanium Fatality.
post #1197 of 2504

only issue i have is that the headphone port, when set to headphones, is 5.1, and will upmix stereo to 5.1 even if its not supposed to.. other than that, rock solid.

 

however, dont even try to use linux with them - from what i heard.


Edited by Axaion - 10/29/13 at 11:04am
post #1198 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjasick View Post

I was just about to pick up one of the Z series so I can drive my newly acquired DT990 Pros. I was reading on another site about a bunch of driver issues with the Z's. Do any of you guys have that issue? My PC will primarily be for gaming and currently have an older X-Fi Titanium Fatality.

 

You know, as bad as Creative was with the X-fi drivers... their Z drivers like on an entirely different level. Sure the Z drivers aren't really fail-proof either but it is mostly stable for the most part. Get it.

post #1199 of 2504
Ya I don't read many driver issues with the z series. Of course there are always those guys over on the creative forums crying about instabity and its just their PC that's fubar'd...

Axaion has that upmixing bug that won't go away. Others might have it too without noticing it. Its odd.
post #1200 of 2504

Yeap, cept that damn bug its pretty much perfect, specially coming from a Xonar DX.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR