Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 

HD800 or LCD2?

 

I am going to upgrade my headphone setup from my good-but-not-great setup and would like to make a decision on the headphones before I get the amp, because of the huge impedance difference/amp-needs of these 2 models.

 

I know I'll be happy with the sound quality of both, and price wise, well, $1000 for the LCD2, and $1500 for the Colorware custom HD800's.  Yes, a 50% difference, but planning on this being the last pair of headphones I buy. 

 

So to my main concerns.  Fit/comfort and longevity.  Which of these are more comfortable for long listening sessions?  And when I need new ear-pads or a head-pad xx years from now, is there a definite winner for one of the 2?

 

Thanks guys, once I pull the trigger on the `phones, I'll be picking up a Woo Audio amp to match up, and be set to go.

post #2 of 69

HD800 is one of the most comfortable headphones I've used.

 

LCD2 is one of the least comfortable headphones I've used.

 

LCD3 is more comfy than the 2 (mainly due to the softer pads) but the HD800 is still much more comfortable.

post #3 of 69
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply.  I have a feeling I'd agree with you. 

 

I love my HD650's, so I'm thinking the HD800's would be even better with the better arms. 

 

I've never had an opportunity to try on the LCD2's, from what I've seen it looks like they'd need some considerable bending to keep them from pressing into your head.

post #4 of 69
The LCD-2s were HEAVY. The HD800s are like pillows. The Senns are plastic. The Audeze's are solidly built. I'd call it a draw.

Don't go to the HD800 if you hate lively treble. They are nothing like the HD650.
post #5 of 69

The company that makes the LCD headphones is a very small company which has enjoyed great success with it's models over the past few years. In the High End, companies come and go. Sennheiser is a huge company with many decades in the headphone business. They aren't going anywhere. I think they can be counted on to be in business many years from now. The folks that make the LCD product may become the next Sennheiser (not likely) or they may be gone in two years impossible to say. If you are really making your decision in part on the long term viability of the company this is no contest. 

post #6 of 69
Thread Starter 

Very good point Chodi.  Thank you.
 

post #7 of 69

My LCD2.2 from about 6 months ago have very soft pads and little clamping. Much better fit and comfort than my old 2.1 version.

 

I actually find the LCD2.2 more comfy than the HE6, which can be prone to itching, and at least as comfortable as the T1's. The weight has never been an issue.


Edited by nigeljames - 8/16/12 at 7:03am
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stekos View Post

[...]

 

So to my main concerns.  Fit/comfort and longevity.  Which of these are more comfortable for long listening sessions?  And when I need new ear-pads or a head-pad xx years from now, is there a definite winner for one of the 2?

 

Thanks guys, once I pull the trigger on the `phones, I'll be picking up a Woo Audio amp to match up, and be set to go.

 

HD800.

post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

The company that makes the LCD headphones is a very small company which has enjoyed great success with it's models over the past few years. In the High End, companies come and go. Sennheiser is a huge company with many decades in the headphone business. They aren't going anywhere. I think they can be counted on to be in business many years from now. The folks that make the LCD product may become the next Sennheiser (not likely) or they may be gone in two years impossible to say. If you are really making your decision in part on the long term viability of the company this is no contest. 

 

 

By the same token since the Audeze is a small company the people who designed the products two years ago will probably be the same people who design them in half a decade. 

 

Sennheiser having 2000 odd employees has much higher employee turnover. Many people have issues with the HD800 design and within two different models that are made at the same time they could be made on different production lines, designed by different people and QA'd by different standards. 

 

The HD800 has a 2 year warranty, the LCD series has 3 year. Beyond that you are more or less on your own and it would probably cost you more to repair a pair of headphones out of pocket than to pick up a working used pair. You aren't buying stocks in the company, you are a consumer and therefore not invested in the long term financials of either company.

post #10 of 69

HD800. I have a feeling parts will be more readily available for them down the line and paired with the Woo amp you're planning on (fantastic tube sound) it'll really make them sing. 

 

Fit and comfort on the HD800s is astronomically better, though I honestly think the HD650s are more comfortable.

 

EDIT: Build quality honestly was better on the HD800s as well after owning both. Stock cable is much better...


Edited by MorbidToaster - 8/16/12 at 4:57pm
post #11 of 69

HD800. You'll need all that comfort from the painstaking treble peaks. tongue.gif

post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

HD800. You'll need all that comfort from the painstaking treble peaks. tongue.gif

I recommend a good case of nails. Just hammer them away into your ear. You won't notice the treble then.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post


I recommend a good case of nails. Just hammer them away into your ear. You won't notice the treble then.

I might just do that to alleviate the clamping discomfort brought upon by the LCD-2's. Good looking out! biggrin.gif

post #14 of 69

This is odd !! You don't care how they sound, even though they sound drastically different, and you're ok with both ?!

post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post

This is odd !! You don't care how they sound, even though they sound drastically different, and you're ok with both ?!

Might wanna quote whoever your comments are towards for context. blink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity