Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe - Page 16  

post #226 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

You can try this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
It's a way to listen to frequency sweeps for phones with equal loudness curves compensated so what you hear should roughly correspond to the actual FR of the phones. The thread is messier than my room after a tornado though so if there's anything you don't understand, give me a yell on that thread, here or on pm, whichever you prefer smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome! Thanks and I'll pm you if I run into any snags.
post #227 of 498
Thread Starter 
OK, here is my next logical question... I know that an individual AAC file can contain tag info and a volume level. Can it contain file specific EQ settings? Is there a third party plugin that has a decent equalizer to do this? (Mac/iTunes)
post #228 of 498
I was told that itunes can do that and even export song specific EQs to ipods
post #229 of 498
Thread Starter 
The problem is that itunes built in equalizer sucks
post #230 of 498
You could use itfor tone controls and run another advanced eq in series to eq your sound system
post #231 of 498

Wow, I never thought I would get into an argument with Rin Choi of all people.  I guess there's objective and then there's more objective? tongue.gif

rinchoi.blogspot.hk/2012/11/sony-ericsson-mh1c-is-bad-excuse-better.html

post #232 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Wow, I never thought I would get into an argument with Rin Choi of all people.  I guess there's objective and then there's more objective? tongue.gif

rinchoi.blogspot.hk/2012/11/sony-ericsson-mh1c-is-bad-excuse-better.html

 

Interesting conversation. Maybe you should check out the Fitear F111? Should match the ER4S with a shallower fit. I'd ask tomscy2000 first though.

post #233 of 498

Guys here's an interesting debate between Tyll Hertsens and Steve Guttenberg about subjective vs. objective audio. Some of these home theater geeks episodes are really good.

 

post #234 of 498

I'm sorry, I can't even bear to listen to Steve Guttenberg talk for 5 seconds xD

post #235 of 498

It just drives me batty when people project their exaggerated fears and fantasies onto others who they deem fit, even if only slightly, within whatever "evil" category they have in mind, and think that they are expressing some kind of "opinion" or "concern" while doing so. For example, people who express fear and hatred towards so called "objectivists" who worship charts and graphs, or who insist that "flat lines" are superior to all else and anyone who says different is a fool or something like that. IME, I've never witnessed or observed anyone like that to actually exist in real life, except for maybe a few trolls here and there. However, I've seen plenty of wild accusations and senseless arguments about nothing, usually stemming from nonexistent but perceived "threats," followed by making baseless assumptions and applying fantastical stereotypes to the author of said threats, and finally launching a "return" attack. It doesn't help that the person under attack can have equally poor communication skills/methods along with fears and projections of their own, although I have observed this happening with greater frequency and intensity on one "side" than the other. One has more of a tendency to lean towards (or have a mindset heading in the direction of) at least attempting to discern facts/truths (agreement, peace), while the other is trying to live the contradiction of negating all truth or common reality while simultaneously placing value judgments upon what is "good" and "bad" (perpetual conflict, violence).

 

Seriously though, how many times do people have to argue about nonexistent issues which in reality they all agree upon without knowing it?

measurements  preferences

preferences  neutrality, high fidelity

 

I hope I'm not doing the very thing I'm complaining about right now. Somebody stop me if I am, haha.


Edited by manveru - 11/15/12 at 12:21am
post #236 of 498
Thread Starter 
I really wanted to listen to that video, but there was just too many packing peanuts around the points they were making. I guess the sorts of people who make podcasts are the kind of people in love with their own voices, but that doesn't mean I am. Too much formatting blather and framing the arguments. That should have been a ten minute discussion, not an hour.
post #237 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I really wanted to listen to that video, but there was just too many packing peanuts around the points they were making. I guess the sorts of people who make podcasts are the kind of people in love with their own voices, but that doesn't mean I am. Too much formatting blather and framing the arguments. That should have been a ten minute discussion, not an hour.

Totally. I'm glad I watched it though because now I have confirmation not to ever listen to Guttenberg. I could listen to Tyll for hours though. Knowledgeable guy.
post #238 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Totally. I'm glad I watched it though because now I have confirmation not to ever listen to Guttenberg. I could listen to Tyll for hours though. Knowledgeable guy.

 

I always feel Guttenberg is very defensive of 'subjectivity' . Rather than evaluating arguments on their own, he seems wanting to attack and disprove them.

What is he afraid of ? What is he trying to protect ?


Edited by proton007 - 11/15/12 at 5:32pm
post #239 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

 

I always feel Guttenberg is very defensive of 'subjectivity' . Rather than evaluating arguments on their own, he seems wanting to attack and disprove them.

What is he afraid of ? What is he trying to protect ?

 

His authority as a reviewer. 

post #240 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 

His authority as a reviewer. 


I can see your point, but its not like his authority will diminish if he concedes that objectivity is helpful. And to be honest, his style of argument will diminish his credibility more than anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe