Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jazz... - Page 6

post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Marcus Miller's best ever...and perhaps another Grammy.  Terrific release!

 

http://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Marcus-Miller/dp/B008BGNKIO

Will have to acquire! I love his stuff!

post #77 of 95

 

 

Some classic Mingus there, Great big performer and personality in 50's - 70's jazz (still underrated in my opinion- quite a composer as well)

post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

 

 

Some classic Mingus there, Great big performer and personality in 50's - 70's jazz (still underrated in my opinion- quite a composer as well)

 

 

…ironic trivia…Mingus received his only Grammy Award for the liner notes of this album…not the music…

post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru blu View Post

 

…ironic trivia…Mingus received his only Grammy Award for the liner notes of this album…not the music…

Bless him, Its a great album and I think it was his fave too. There are some great Ellington-esque moments and some really nice orchestrations, although some of it does come across as being a little contrived.

post #80 of 95

Julian Lage - this guy is an amazing Jazz guitarist. Highly recommend his "Sounding Point" and "Gladwell" albums.

 

He's the one on the right if you haven't heard of him.

 


Edited by Origin89 - 12/4/12 at 6:21pm
post #81 of 95

RIP Mr. Brubeck you provided lots of great content that will be enjoyed for generations to come!

post #82 of 95
My recent discovery. "Bitches Brew" is too different from other Miles Davis' albums and IMO it's Davis' best work.





"Romantic Warrior" is my all-time favorite. I don't think that I should give any introduction here.



Edited by sawyer - 12/10/12 at 4:26am
post #83 of 95
Thread Starter 

From Bitches Brew on out Miles was a different animal altogether. If you like what hear on the regular version of Bitches Brew, see if you can get your hands on the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions...amazing stuff.

 

You might also want to find a copy of Get Up With It.

post #84 of 95

What about chris botti? i like his stuff,

also i highly recommend miles davis' autobiography, a really good read, pretty much explains what we all hear; his music always keeps changing which what makes him a legend

post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

From Bitches Brew on out Miles was a different animal altogether. If you like what hear on the regular version of Bitches Brew, see if you can get your hands on the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions...amazing stuff.

You might also want to find a copy of Get Up With It.

Thanks for your recommendation!
post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post

also i highly recommend miles davis' autobiography, a really good read, pretty much explains what we all hear; his music always keeps changing which what makes him a legend

 

+1 on the Miles autobiography!! Highly entertaining - an inside look at his career from a "wet-behind the ears" teenager in NYC all the way through the 1980s. For the jazz fan, the book is hard to put down - it's written like you are just sitting there listening to Miles talk.

post #87 of 95

Donald Byrd of course.

 

post #88 of 95

I saw McCoy Tyner years ago and his pianist, Carlos McKinney, was a beast. An acquaintance of mine, Dezron Douglas, is currently gigging with Ravi Coltrane as his bassist - he's come a long way from playing small clubs in  Hartford, Connecticut, so I have to plug him.
 

post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

...small clubs in  Hartford, Connecticut...
 

There is Jazz in CT?  Damn, I gotta check this stuff out!

post #90 of 95

I realize this thread is pretty much one giant recomendations list to begin with, but would anyone care to recommend some tunes to a relative newbie of the jazz genre?

I know I love the classics (Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Dave Brubeck [R.I.P]), but beyond that, the most jazz I've listened to has been from the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks (good stuff if you haven't heard of it)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz...