or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 386

post #5776 of 5786

  HELP!!! -------------- Becoming less certain regarding choices...

 

  Ok, about a week ago I queried the sonic character, and advantages/disadvantages of the Fidelio X1's vs. the Fidelio X2's...as well as the Hx. of issues/problems concerning them and if/how they have been resolved.

 

  NOW I am learning that TWO separate entities, (manufacturers(?)), have been/are currently(?) manufacturing the X2's...

 

My rather vague, current understanding is that the woox version is the problematic one, and the Gibson version is essentially problem free and sounds great...???...

 

PLEASE confirm or deny that I am understanding this correctly...?...and if not, please educate me further...???...

 

If in fact the Gibson version(?) is the Fidelio X2 headphone to purchase, how do I go about Identifying, locating, purchasing and verifying THAT version...

 

Thank you ALL in advance, I REALLY would like to try this headphone, however, with ALL the concerns expressed, I certainly do NOT want to mistakenly purchase a poor product...(one that  Philips would regret manufacturing/selling...)

post #5777 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergist969 View Post
 

  HELP!!! -------------- Becoming less certain regarding choices...

 

  Ok, about a week ago I queried the sonic character, and advantages/disadvantages of the Fidelio X1's vs. the Fidelio X2's...as well as the Hx. of issues/problems concerning them and if/how they have been resolved.

 

  NOW I am learning that TWO separate entities, (manufacturers(?)), have been/are currently(?) manufacturing the X2's...

 

My rather vague, current understanding is that the woox version is the problematic one, and the Gibson version is essentially problem free and sounds great...???...

 

PLEASE confirm or deny that I am understanding this correctly...?...and if not, please educate me further...???...

 

If in fact the Gibson version(?) is the Fidelio X2 headphone to purchase, how do I go about Identifying, locating, purchasing and verifying THAT version...

 

Thank you ALL in advance, I REALLY would like to try this headphone, however, with ALL the concerns expressed, I certainly do NOT want to mistakenly purchase a poor product...(one that  Philips would regret manufacturing/selling...)


Ok, after researching this just to be sure, the WOOX version is the original run of headphones. Gibson bought WOOX from Philips or something like that, and Gibson started manufacturing the X2 with glued earpads and less quality control according to many folks around the net. Some say the difference isn't great, others say it's a big difference. I've only heard the originals, so I can't comment myself, but that's the situation. The only way you could be 100% sure is probably buying used or asking the retailer.

post #5778 of 5786

Did Woox manufacture the X1 too? (EDIT: dug out the box to check, YUP!)

 

@Synergist: well, you could still just get the X1 if you feel hunting down the right X2 model is too big of a risk. If all are as good as mine with the cable replaced then I can heartily recommend them. Of course, I haven't heard the X2's, neither of them, which is why I didn't reply to your query until now.


Edited by LayLay - 7/16/16 at 12:36pm
post #5779 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay View Post
 

Did Woox manufacture the X1 too? (EDIT: dug out the box to check, YUP!)

 

@Synergist: well, you could still just get the X1 if you feel hunting down the right X2 model is too big of a risk. If all are as good as mine with the cable replaced then I can heartily recommend them. Of course, I haven't heard the X2's, neither of them, which is why I didn't reply to your query until now.

Yeah, either one is going to be a great deal and great value if you're a fan of warm or fun headphones. The X2 has a bit more refinement and control, but like I said, I feel like the treble and upper midrange sounds better on the X1. They're much more similar than different, so I'd just recommend the best deal you can find. Both my friend and I agreed that if you put one on rather than the other, you could tell which is which, but wouldn't really notice unless you had heard both and payed close attention. 

post #5780 of 5786

As far as I know, woox didn`t produce X1. 

Maybe I mixed up which is oog version of X2 - woox or gibson - idk, I just read that there were lot of problems with QC due to manufacturer change and ppl reporting sound quality differences. One must do his/her own research.


Edited by CoiL - 7/17/16 at 11:40pm
post #5781 of 5786

duplicate post... don`t know how. Sorry.

post #5782 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post
 

I guess you should try a 0.75$ cable then...

You'll find out how the noise gets more and more resolution and detail.

I did something similar (to recap, this is about RCA interconnects). I rummaged through a big bag full of old cables to look for the crappiest cable I could find. I found a dusty, dirty old generic cheapie, impossibly thin wires, and connected them. First impression was that that my system definitely sounded different. On further listening I was very pleased by the change. They seem to take off the harshness that I had with the other cables, make the sound more mellow, nicer, I dare even say warmer. They don't have the clarity, yet the sound is more pleasant and it's easier to hear the entire music, it all sounds more homogenous somehow, less separated. And for some reason lyrics are more intelligible than before, and easier to follow. All around I am very happy, my system now sounds like I like.

post #5783 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay View Post
 

I did something similar (to recap, this is about RCA interconnects). I rummaged through a big bag full of old cables to look for the crappiest cable I could find. I found a dusty, dirty old generic cheapie, impossibly thin wires, and connected them. First impression was that that my system definitely sounded different. On further listening I was very pleased by the change. They seem to take off the harshness that I had with the other cables, make the sound more mellow, nicer, I dare even say warmer. They don't have the clarity, yet the sound is more pleasant and it's easier to hear the entire music, it all sounds more homogenous somehow, less separated. And for some reason lyrics are more intelligible than before, and easier to follow. All around I am very happy, my system now sounds like I like.

Perhaps you're more treble-sensitive than you initially thought. Taming the highs would stay in line with your thoughts about there being less clarity since I feel the two are very connected and sounding more pleasant means your ears agree with it more, probably because it's now smoother and less fatiguing with lower treble energy.

post #5784 of 5786

My Chord Mojo is expected to arrive around Thursday 28.

 

I will post again when I receive it...

post #5785 of 5786

CoiL:

about the "Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE pro-patch" cable, can you safely recommend it not only as a headphone cable for the X1's but as a line-level interconnect too? For example to construct a 3.5mm to RCA cable, in order to connect a DAC to an integrated amplifier.

Have you compared it to any other ready-made or bulk cable such as Mogami, Belden, Canare, Choseal etc?

post #5786 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by artheo View Post
 

CoiL:

about the "Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE pro-patch" cable, can you safely recommend it not only as a headphone cable for the X1's but as a line-level interconnect too? For example to construct a 3.5mm to RCA cable, in order to connect a DAC to an integrated amplifier.

I don`t know what You mean about "safe" but it is very good quality cable imo. I did use it for my own made 3.5mm > RCA LO connection (for using with DX5X):

 

 

Have you compared it to any other ready-made or bulk cable such as Mogami, Belden, Canare, Choseal etc?

No, I haven`t compared the SQ if You meant that. For me, with home-hi-fi systems, it`s enough if cables have good build quality and screening along with good quality plugs. Never noticed much difference between home system cables between amps and such. Well, at least I haven`t heard difference yet but I don`t have high-end or even midrange system at home, so who knows, maybe there is difference. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1