or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 381

post #5701 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilflare View Post
 

sorry to bump this thread up.

any suggestions on how to properly care for them?

 

especially on how to repair/prevent oxidation on the headphones and cleaning the pads?


Don't be sorry, this thread's here for a reason! How long have you been using yours? Because I haven't needed to worry about the pads yet and I've used mine for about 6 months. I feel like the pads should be good if you just keep a relatively clean head and don't throw them around on anything dirty. As far as oxidation, I don't really know what you're thinking about. The metal nature of the build? Cuz I haven't had any issues with that either. Don't get dirt and grime on them, maybe wipe down the metal with a cloth like once every month or so? Pretty much anything you'd do to take good care of any item: don't drop, wipe down every once in a while. People have shown that the pads are technically removable if you need to wash them, they're just glued in. I haven't needed to test those that though happily enough.

post #5702 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetguy View Post
 


Don't be sorry, this thread's here for a reason! How long have you been using yours? Because I haven't needed to worry about the pads yet and I've used mine for about 6 months. I feel like the pads should be good if you just keep a relatively clean head and don't throw them around on anything dirty. As far as oxidation, I don't really know what you're thinking about. The metal nature of the build? Cuz I haven't had any issues with that either. Don't get dirt and grime on them, maybe wipe down the metal with a cloth like once every month or so? Pretty much anything you'd do to take good care of any item: don't drop, wipe down every once in a while. People have shown that the pads are technically removable if you need to wash them, they're just glued in. I haven't needed to test those that though happily enough.

 

I think I have them for slightly more than a year now. I haven't been using them much (there would be months where I don't use them at all). The headphones are usually left hanging on my smaller screen (which acts like a stand)....

The thing is the metal bits kinda look slightly oxidised now (not sure if it's the climate where I'm at)....

 

what would be the best way to clean the pads though? - my ears are kinda sensitive so sometimes they will feel "stuffy" wearing the headphones

post #5703 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilflare View Post
 

 

I think I have them for slightly more than a year now. I haven't been using them much (there would be months where I don't use them at all). The headphones are usually left hanging on my smaller screen (which acts like a stand)....

The thing is the metal bits kinda look slightly oxidised now (not sure if it's the climate where I'm at)....

 

what would be the best way to clean the pads though? - my ears are kinda sensitive so sometimes they will feel "stuffy" wearing the headphones


Hmm, mine haven't shown any signs of oxidation. Maybe just look into how to generally keep aluminum looking good? Cuz I think that's what they're made of. Honestly, I can't be sure about the pad thing. It could just be that they're feeling stuff due to the nature of being velour pads. If you're not going the route of completely taking off the pads (which I'm personally not doing cuz I'd probably mess it up :P), then maybe just take a damp paper town and scrub the pads that way, then let them air for a week?

post #5704 of 5744

Hello everyone.

 

I am sorry to bump this thread, but, I got these cans about 2 days ago. I've read the entire thread and I know this has been discused a million times. But, I have to ask.

 

I want to change the cable. Currently I'm using a cheap (CHEAP) mini plug 3.5 mm to RCA (I'm connecting the Headphones into a Creative SB X-FI Titanium HD)

 

But, I would love to have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm,

 

So, the question is. Which cable would you guys recommend me? V-Moda price is to high and it will end up in customs (Don't know if that's the correct translation for "Aduana") here in my country. (Argentina) And I would have to pay 20% more on top.

I have seen a couple in Amazon with free shipping, but, I don't know if they are any good.

 

This one, for example.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Tangle-Free-Auxiliary-Android-Smartphone/dp/B00KWR8ME2/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1446823453&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011

 

Can anyone, please, lend me a hand choosing it?

Also, be VERY aware. I'am not a "Head-fi" by any means. My knoledge is VERY limted.

 

Thanks for your time.

post #5705 of 5744

Really pretty much any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do. My cable is one from China that I bought on eBay. The one you have listed there from Amazon will work, the X1 doesn't have recessed sockets or any special mechanism. I say just go with whatever works for you. If buying that cable doesn't create any shipping hassles for you, then I don't see why not.

post #5706 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetguy View Post
 

Really pretty much any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do. My cable is one from China that I bought on eBay. The one you have listed there from Amazon will work, the X1 doesn't have recessed sockets or any special mechanism. I say just go with whatever works for you. If buying that cable doesn't create any shipping hassles for you, then I don't see why not.

Thanks for the reply.

 

Ok, I settle for these.

 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-3-5mm-Auxiliary-Audio-Cable-4ft-1-2m-AUX-Cable-for-Headphones-Car-Stereos-/221849199421?hash=item33a73e233d:g:bmQAAOSwgQ9VyJWm

 

Had to drop amazon, because Amazon does not ship to my city.... :(

 

I just tested how much Ω the 3.5 mm to RCA has/is.

It's 1.5Ω

Almost as high as the stock cable.

 

I have a 3.5mm cable from a crap Genius 2.1 system. It's 0.5Ω and it sounds so much better.

Problem is, it's faulty.

 

Thanks again!

post #5707 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianSM View Post
 

Thanks for the reply.

 

Ok, I settle for these.

 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-3-5mm-Auxiliary-Audio-Cable-4ft-1-2m-AUX-Cable-for-Headphones-Car-Stereos-/221849199421?hash=item33a73e233d:g:bmQAAOSwgQ9VyJWm

 

Had to drop amazon, because Amazon does not ship to my city.... :(

 

I just tested how much Ω the 3.5 mm to RCA has/is.

It's 1.5Ω

Almost as high as the stock cable.

 

I have a 3.5mm cable from a crap Genius 2.1 system. It's 0.5Ω and it sounds so much better.

Problem is, it's faulty.

 

Thanks again!


Good luck! Keep enjoying the music!

post #5708 of 5744

I know these are the X1's, but will these Alpha pads fit the X2's? I think the ear cups are the same size. Also do these pads take away from the sound or improve them?

post #5709 of 5744

Is there anyway to make these headphones more clampy on your head? I've had mine for about 2 yrs, and initially found them uncomfortable so I stretched them out a bit. I haven't used them for quite a while but now I find them too loose.

post #5710 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleex View Post
 

Is there anyway to make these headphones more clampy on your head? I've had mine for about 2 yrs, and initially found them uncomfortable so I stretched them out a bit. I haven't used them for quite a while but now I find them too loose.


Maybe try the opposite of stretching? Like, maybe find a couple of heavy objects (something that wouldn't move from the headphones trying to spread out) and put these in between them and leave them like that for a week or two? Rinse and repeat until it's clampy enough. I'd figure if one could stretch them and have them hold that form, one should also be able to clamp them and have them hold that form ;). Good luck!

post #5711 of 5744

See Tyll's review on Inner Fidelity on how to bend the head band: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1-page-2#M3LSMktup5a44Il8.97 


Edited by Funambulistic - 12/30/15 at 2:47pm
post #5712 of 5744

I just got this headphones a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying them so far. But the sound is a little unclear. I was wondering if the sound would become clearer if I bought the Soundblaster Z soundcard. I'm using the stock cable since I like how thick it is.

post #5713 of 5744

The X1 doesn't require extra power to drive it but it DEFINITELY BENEFITS from it. I can't vouch for the soundblaster, but I know the stock cable is notorious for delivering less than accurate frequency responses. I actually just use mine for my 3DS since I've gotten new headphones for my desktop. As for the cable I've had good results with these if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LTEUDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

post #5714 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG268 View Post
 

I just got this headphones a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying them so far. But the sound is a little unclear. I was wondering if the sound would become clearer if I bought the Soundblaster Z soundcard. I'm using the stock cable since I like how thick it is.

If you're running onboard audio from your PC, then getting a sound card would definitely be an improvement as I haven't heard an onboard chipset yet that actually sounds good. If you can spare the money, buying an external DAC and amp is the best choice, I believe the Fiio E10K can still be found fairly cheap on Amazon, haven't checked recently. Also replace the cable as @Alchemist007 recommended, I do also personally like the MediaBridge cable linked as I think they make pretty solid cables.

post #5715 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetguy View Post
 

If you're running onboard audio from your PC, then getting a sound card would definitely be an improvement as I haven't heard an onboard chipset yet that actually sounds good. If you can spare the money, buying an external DAC and amp is the best choice, I believe the Fiio E10K can still be found fairly cheap on Amazon, haven't checked recently. Also replace the cable as @Alchemist007 recommended, I do also personally like the MediaBridge cable linked as I think they make pretty solid cables.

 

+1. External DAC, an amp and a different cable. Then enjoy the X1 :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1