Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 329

post #4921 of 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Look at the end of my cable measurements & impressions post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

 

lead resistance isn when you ground both the red and black meter cable? mine is 0.8.

 

Stock Cable:

ground to ground  - 1.8 ohms

ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.7 ohms

ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms

ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 35.0 ohms

ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.8 ohms

 

I also used the sony extra cord, which has 1.4 measure -.08 = .06 omhs resistance? I can only notice a slight tightness in bass, nothing more. details and reproduction of everything from lows to high are pretty much all the same.

 

gold plated 1.0m auxilary 3.5m-3.5m cable, $1.80 from a mobile phone accesory shop.

ground to ground  -  0.8 ohms

ground to terminal 1 loop - 0.8 ohms

ground to terminal 2 loop - 0.7 ohms

ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 32.8 ohms

ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 33.1 ohms

 

also have a non gold plated for 1$ it measure mostly 3.4~3.5.


Edited by wigglepuff - 8/28/14 at 6:07am
post #4922 of 4931

Oh my god

 

These headphones are amazing! Haven't listened many songs yet but listened some deadmau5 and they really blew my mind just using stock cable and onboard audio. Compared them to my razers megalodon (overpriced crap) and I have never realised how flat they're.

I'm not sure if I should try them with another cable or not just using onboard audio as jodgey4 stated that it matters more when using amp. The test would cost like 10 bucks tops though. How does the cable affect the sound anyways?

 

I'm currently very happy with onboard audio (motherboard asus M4A87TD/USB3) but would xonar dgx change the sound by alot? I'm not really interested buying it if the change is minor. 

 

Thanks for all your help guys!

Definitely recommending these headphones! :L3000: 


Edited by Panzo - 8/28/14 at 8:00am
post #4923 of 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglepuff View Post
 

gold plated 1.0m auxilary 3.5m-3.5m cable, $1.80 from a mobile phone accesory shop.

ground to ground  -  0.8 ohms

ground to terminal 1 loop - 0.8 ohms

ground to terminal 2 loop - 0.7 ohms

ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 32.8 ohms

ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 33.1 ohms

Thats good enough I think. Bass & kick tightness improvement is what You should hear. Maybe it`s related also with DAC and AMP but my X1 had also improvement in overall clarity.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzo View Post
 

I'm currently very happy with onboard audio (motherboard asus M4A87TD/USB3) but would xonar dgx change the sound by alot? I'm not really interested buying it if the change is minor. 

I haven`t had good match with onboard audio yet. Depending on DAC/AMP sound improvement could be very noticeable.

I don`t remember exactly atm but I think xonar dg had pretty high output impedance, though not so good match. Someone correct me if I`m wrong.

post #4924 of 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Thats good enough I think. Bass & kick tightness improvement is what You should hear. Maybe it`s related also with DAC and AMP but my X1 had also improvement in overall clarity.

but my stock cable isn't the updated one ins't it? I'm using the fiio e07k for the moment which adds more bass and treble to the already warm sounding X1? (not familiar of which term is correct) and (my onboard has really bad emi pickup) , I'm still waiting for the e11k or an updated version of the e17 to become available here in my area. If they dont match pretty well with the X1 then I'm probably getting a jds amp. well the e07k fits perfectly for my mdr 1r's sound profile and is portable so no waste there.

 

@panzo - try listening to it using a more neutral/flat amp (not familiar with all the terms), as the X1 is already warm? so a pairing of clean and distortion free amp would be be better (oboard has serious distortion, and you might already be used to listening to it thats why it sounds normal). with a serpate dac/amp outside of the pc or laptop there is little distortion and emi(noise) so you can listen to lower volume with more clarity and detail, also safer rather than going high volume and damaging your ears permanently (I think :/).


Edited by wigglepuff - 8/28/14 at 10:44am
post #4925 of 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Thats good enough I think. Bass & kick tightness improvement is what You should hear. Maybe it`s related also with DAC and AMP but my X1 had also improvement in overall clarity.

 

 

I haven`t had good match with onboard audio yet. Depending on DAC/AMP sound improvement could be very noticeable.

I don`t remember exactly atm but I think xonar dg had pretty high output impedance, though not so good match. Someone correct me if I`m wrong.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf Still aimed at Panzo btw... Not to get too scary-science-y on ya, but do you see in the 'Electrical Impedance and Phase' graph where the pink line raises up? With a higher output impedance (amp+cable), you're getting less control on these regions and more bloating (which means excess volume and less detail). You generally want the output impedance (amp+cable) to be at least 1:8 of your cans or smaller. The Xonar DGX will provide more power and clarity certainly (it did for me and my brother), but the 30 ohms output impedance could cause some bloating. It's about one of the cheapest upgrades you can do though, soundcards are usually a good value b/c you've already paid for the power supply via your computer, and they're quite mass produced which makes them real cheap. Though, if you're patient, upgrading to a set-up with a dedicated amp section for lower impedance headphones would be best.

post #4926 of 4931

I'm finally getting hang of it (the meaning for cable switching and amping).

As I said I'm currently very happy with just onboard audio + stock cable but will eventually upgrade to amp so I could get the best out of them.

Thanks for being newbie friendly and explaining everything so a guy like me could understand!

No more stupid questions from me (except when I come back in future and ask help buying an amp) :beyersmile:

post #4927 of 4931

My stock cable was measured at 1.8, I replaced it with a flat aux cable that came with a jabra bt speaker, only 0.7. Ordered one from ebay but hasn't arrive yet.

 

After 1 month of use I can only say great things about the X1. The pads are extremely deep and comfy and does not trap heat.

 

I never burn in my headphones, Instead I listen to them normally and notice the change over time. After about 30 hours of playtime, I've noticed a more controlled bass. mid and high remains pretty much the same. What I love most about the X1 is how natural it sounds, some people confuse clarity with overly sharp highs, but in the X1 at no point I felt the highs being piercing, despite the volume (I listen at 70%) and acoustic EQ. 

post #4928 of 4931

"acoustic EQ" - why is that needed? 

post #4929 of 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfwtflol View Post
 

My stock cable was measured at 1.8, I replaced it with a flat aux cable that came with a jabra bt speaker, only 0.7. Ordered one from ebay but hasn't arrive yet.

 

After 1 month of use I can only say great things about the X1. The pads are extremely deep and comfy and does not trap heat.

 

I never burn in my headphones, Instead I listen to them normally and notice the change over time. After about 30 hours of playtime, I've noticed a more controlled bass. mid and high remains pretty much the same. What I love most about the X1 is how natural it sounds, some people confuse clarity with overly sharp highs, but in the X1 at no point I felt the highs being piercing, despite the volume (I listen at 70%) and acoustic EQ. 


Just wondering also, acoustic eq for the purpose of what? btw 70% volume from what gear? mobile phone? straight out of an amp or desktop you brain will turn into liquid.

post #4930 of 4931

Mostly I listen straight from iPhone 5S. I also have the E07k but the X1 sounds just fine without it. When amped, I remove the EQ, and set it on +4bass and +2treb, mid gain.

 

I use the X1 with Spotify app. I don't know if it something from the app or the music while streaming (supposedly all songs streams at 320kbps), but sometimes it sounds weak. The acoustic eq in spotify is subtle and gives it a bit of that v-shape sound which I'm used to, just a matter of taste I guess.

post #4931 of 4931

I only put +2 treb on mide when on the e07k, I'm not really into strong bass, I sometimes put -2 bass on it depending on what genre of music I'm listeting to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1