- 16 Posts. Joined 1/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Philips Fidelio L1/M1/X1 or ATH-ESW9 or V-MODA M-100? Last post on 6/5/15 at 4:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- seeking recommendations: B&W P5, Philips Fidelio L1 M1, Sennheiser Amperior, Focal Spririt... Last post on 6/24/14 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Philips FIDELIO M1 v Sennheiser HD25-1 II v Sennheiser Amperior Last post on 10/17/12 at 6:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for Liquid Dubstep/D&B/House (electronic music) Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 292post #4366 of 56905/1/14 at 12:48amwhat's the best amp to use with this if i wanna watch movies on my tv? i already got a yamaha v577 receiver i wonder if thats good enough. thanks!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4367 of 56905/1/14 at 12:57amWhat do you not like about your receiver when you use it? What are you looking for in terms of sound quality, and what cost are you willing to accept to achieve your goals?post #4368 of 56905/1/14 at 12:57am
just few posts backwards there was talk about X1 pairing with reciever: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4350#post_10502540
Read Your receiver manual and find out about impedance.post #4369 of 56905/1/14 at 1:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Voltmod
The problem is that I don't have the Magni or the Mixamp. Everything is plugged into my receiver, which is mismatched for the X1s. So now I must buy more stuff and complicate my setup... but I love gadgets, so hard to be mad. My receiver isn't that great so I don't trust it with headphones anyway.
Well if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, the TurtleBeach DSS is like $25 on Ebay and does the same thing as the Mixamp. $125 (not including shipping and tax) will get you all you need on that part.post #4370 of 56905/1/14 at 7:49amQuote:I think my X1`s are now starting to properly burn-in because sound has "opened up". Of course it is affected also by my brain and ears getting used to it but still, even with rock/metal/jazz I feel that JAN Sylvania 6922 isn`t anymore certainly best tube for these genres. Now I`m really enjoying my Siemens E88CC`s again and also Amperex OG 6DJ8 GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 are now sounding better than before. Anyone has experience with x1 burn-in?
Ok, I`ve been burning in my X1`s intensively with different genre music at about 1/5 higher volume that I usually listen and with Aune T1 set to +10dB. Yes, my ears/brain have got used to X1 sound but I think those cans have changed by now and memory pads are also settled in. I`ve been also tube rolling and I have reached back to the point where I still grab my Siemens E88CC grey shield o-ring getter goldpins - they are very good match for X1 because of tinybit laid back (not recessed) bass department. Yes, JAN Sylvania 6922 makes things more "intimate & live" with some rock/metal/progressive but it still can`t match Siemens E88CC clarity, detail, separation, imaging, transparency and soundstage. Also Amperex 6DJ8 OG GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 sound more resolving and detailed by now and I think most of the time they still come ahead of JAN Sylvania 6922.
Maybe I have littlebit distanced myself from analytical listening by getting used to X1 warm, natural & fun sound signature but when I grab my heavily modded HD-681... I feel something missing and turn back to X1`s. Love those cans! ;P
Edited by CoiL - 5/1/14 at 12:22pmpost #4371 of 56905/1/14 at 12:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by s0ckpupp3t
I had the Slappa. It works fine for transport but its a bit tight and squishes the ear pads a bit so I wouldn't recommend it for storage.
I now use the CASEBUDi XL case which is a bit roomier and more understated in the looks department than the Slappa (and I think lighter too). http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00BF6IKL4/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398781630&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=casebudi+xlarge
I was about to pull the trigger on the Slappa, but I think I will heed your advice and go with the CASEBUDi XL. I like the understated looks of the casebudi more anyway. Do you have any regrets with the purchase? It fits the X1 perfectly, right?Quote:Originally Posted by SaLX
@Voltmod - took about a week for me to break them in..... or a week for my brain to be broken in. Probably a combination of both.
Agree with you that you can EQ out unwanted freq's, but trying to boost them never really works.
I agree with this. It took me ~1.5 weeks to break them in. The sound changed quite dramatically.
Question for all of your binaural/3D audio lovers out there (and this is kind of driving me crazy, so hopefully someone else can give input). Whenever I listen to binaural test tracks or 3D audio with the X1's I can't help but think that the audio is coming from slightly behind my head. Has anyone else noticed this? For example, I was watching the Head-Fi review of Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration disk, and in that review they talk about a binaural album called Explorations in Space and Time. I looked up the album preview on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsyCqE8kb_I and that seems to illustrate my concerns most directly. There are instruments/voices that I think are meant to be directly beside you.. but to me they sound like they're all coming from the side/back. Maybe I'm going crazy like the song suggests at 3:40...
Would what I am describing be considered the "soundstage"? And, is there any way to shift that forward so that it sounds more natural to me? I suppose a high end soundcard might do it. Maybe a different DAC/amp? Right now I'm just powering them off of my laptop audio out.post #4372 of 56905/1/14 at 12:38pm
Are You sure that Your laptop has no software processing effects turned on? X1 actually don`t have much soundstage extension going behind head but it still has it in good amount (enough for me). X1 has kind of ∩- shaped soundstage. But LOT depends on DAC being used. For example I have some tubes with very large soundstage but on X1 they do not make it reach so far behind head as with my modded HD-681. X1 has very large open soundstage and extends more towards front ( in a good way) imo. I think maybe Your laptop integrated soundcard has "hit the wall" and can`t "paint" so much foward-depth, hence, You feel it too far back on your head.
But maybe You are just experiencing first time proper soundstage and You need to get used to it? :)
Chesky tracks have much reverb/echo and room/air going on. I think those tracks sound great with X1.
Edited by CoiL - 5/1/14 at 12:46pmpost #4373 of 56905/1/14 at 3:34pmQuote:
No regrets on the CASEBUDi XL case. The CASEBUDi fits the X1 perfectly with room for a portable DAC/amp.
I did have regrets with the Slappa case, which looked a little too over the top for me and was heavier.
Whichever case you get, I would definitely recommend transporting the X1 with the cable removed. If you read earlier posts, there have been some issues with the cable jack being a bit on the fragile side.
Edited by s0ckpupp3t - 5/1/14 at 3:43pmpost #4374 of 56905/1/14 at 9:14pmpost #4375 of 56905/1/14 at 9:58pmQuote:
I read that in the reviews too so I took a big whiff as soon as I got the case, No strong odor on mine. I also just took them out just now and took another sniff and nothing out of the ordinary.post #4376 of 56905/1/14 at 11:19pmQuote:
Thanks! Been looking to pickup a travel case but wasn't totally sold on the slappa.post #4377 of 56905/1/14 at 11:55pm
I use this case to transport my large cans:
It's quite a spacious case with a carrying handle.
note the bootleg Koss logo and the "V-Mota" textpost #4378 of 56905/2/14 at 9:40ampost #4379 of 56905/2/14 at 12:40pmQuote:
These look fine.
It usually doesn't matter, really.
You really only want it to be OFC, gold platted and look reasonable.
It could be a bit chunky [I got a similar one] but they're great cables nonetheless.post #4380 of 56905/2/14 at 12:51pmQuote:
Have a go at these:
Notice that even Amazon pairs it with the X1 (in the "Frequently bought together" bit)!
- [New] Philips Fidelio X1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 2015 Tokyo Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone festival - 24-25 October 17 seconds ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 22 seconds ago
- › Kef M500 23 seconds ago
- › 150$ on ear/over ear 41 seconds ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 44 seconds ago
- › I will be at the Rocky Mountain Audio fest/Canjam 2015 this year. 52 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 55 seconds ago
- › Chesky Records Tournament Finals: Last Chance to get 50% off any... 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2