Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 283

post #4231 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by thievesarmy View Post
 

Appreciate the insights. I should have made it clear, I already own the X1's and I absolutely love them, I just want to get some Senn's and have read that there are similarities in sound between the X1's & 650's, so I think I'm leaning towards the 600's at this point, to experience something different. 

 

I just wrote a thread comparing the two cans, actually. I have both. The HD600s are incredibly.

post #4232 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Keep in mind that Aune T1 is not tube amp - it is SS DAC with tube buffer + SS amp. And My aune T1 is recapped with ELNA SilmicII`s which made soundstage larger, boosted mids, tightened bass and tinybit smoothed highs.

 

Stock 6922EH tube is mainly good only for electronic atmospheric music/ EDM / Dubstep etc. and it has quite loose bass in stock Aune T1 configuration. Also 6922EH tubes seem to have problems with durability, maybe your tube was going bad and thats why some distortion. Anyway can`t hear any distortion with 6922EH tube + X1, no matter what genre.

And I`m using Aune T1 with my X1 @ +10dB gain setting. Atm listening to Animals as Leaders with Siemens E88CC and no distortion either. Instead hearing great tight bass and kick. But this tube has sometimes too large & holographic soundstage that doesn`t fit for genres like this so well as 69` Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe GAC, of course this is my subjective opinion and lot also depends on mastering and "metal" style.

 

Btw, just finished recabling my X1 with 3-metre cable (Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-patch + Neutrik jacks).

Measured stock cable impedance and result was very high 2.4 Ohm - that`s crazy! O_o.

New cable measures 0.9 Ohm. With new cable sound got tinybit cleaner and tighter. 

 

Hmmm... That's what I was suspecting too. But it happens to the Valhalla as well, so that was a little bit weird to me. I'll try to pick up the E8CC and see how it goes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Hmmm... I just listened that Nightwish`s Storytime song with 3 different cans (X1 / HD-681 and Creative EP-630 IEM) and I could also hear distorted bass with all of them. 

Also tried with ELE EL-D02 DAC and same thing. Seems this distortion comes from the song itself (Youtube HD quality).

Btw, ELE EL-D02 (recapped with ELNA SilmicII`s) also sound pretty good with X1.

 

I know right?! Same here, I've tried with a variety of different cans and every single time there's distortion EXCEPT when I'm using a solid state amp (in which case, a FiiO E12).

I have the album itself, so I've been listening to it in FLAC. So yeah, doesn't seem to be a Youtube problem.

post #4233 of 4954

Well, T1 is a SS amp and ELE also. How do You comment on that? I just tried FLAC version of that song also and with all my cans I could still hear that distortion. Weird. I think it is not a problem of my cans or dacs. I`m guessing it has something to do with mastering/recording and certain dac capability to replay (or not to play) that absurd frequency mixup or something...


Edited by CoiL - 4/4/14 at 12:58am
post #4234 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Well, T1 is a SS amp and ELE also. How do You comment on that? I just tried FLAC version of that song also and with all my cans I could still hear that distortion. Weird. I think it is not a problem of my cans or dacs. I`m guessing it has something to do with mastering/recording and certain dac capability to replay (or not to play) that absurd frequency mixup or something...

 

Which is why I'm rather confused on why there's distortion.

 

Basically; PC (MusicBee) > WASAPI > Optical Out > E17 > L7 out > E12 > X1.

This setup, I basically hear no distortion. Just to make sure it isn't a fluke with the X1, I tried it with a DT770, HD558, and a Soundmagic E10 IEM. Didn't hear any distortion either.

 

If; PC (MusicBee) > WASAPI > USB out > T1 > X1

Just like you heard, there's distortion. Same thing with Valhalla.

 

 

Perhaps, I'm also believing the fact that it's mastering issue. I haven't exactly found another song that has this crazy mix of instruments like Nightwish's Storytime yet, so can't make a comparison with any other song. You have any in mind?

post #4235 of 4954

Lately I was listening to some epic music, such as Hans Zimmer, Zack Hemsey, Two Steps From Hell and Audiomachine.

If you can, listen to some of those tracks (in FLAC) with X1. They redefine the meaning of EPIC.:basshead:

post #4236 of 4954

True, Hans Zimmer Inception live HD almost plays with my feelings! EPIC it is and X1 sounds awesome with this kind of music.

post #4237 of 4954

Where can I buy this in Canada for a fair price?

post #4238 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

Lately I was listening to some epic music, such as Hans Zimmer, Zack Hemsey, Two Steps From Hell and Audiomachine.

If you can, listen to some of those tracks (in FLAC) with X1. They redefine the meaning of EPIC.:basshead:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

True, Hans Zimmer Inception live HD almost plays with my feelings! EPIC it is and X1 sounds awesome with this kind of music.

Inception is indeed awesome on the X1s as is Sherlock Holmes (both of the movie soundtracks) but Gladiator is still my favorite Hans Zimmer (and Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dance). I listened to the the soundtrack to American Beauty the other night - if you don't have it, get it; you will love it!

post #4239 of 4954

Those who wants another form of epic, listen to Thomas Bergersen's Illusions. I guarantee, you WILL NOT be dissapointed with the X1.

post #4240 of 4954

Wow, the bass on X1 is great! On the 9th second when the sub-bass hits ( http://music.zackhemsey.com/track/remember-me-instrumental ), these cans are able to play it out. Even my external speakers subwoofer is dead quiet at that part.

Don`t get me wrong, I still think X1 is not a bass-head can but it has such ability to go very deep with bass while maintaining immerse large soundstage, clarity, separation and all that without being boomy-overly-bassy cans.

Just great! ;P


Edited by CoiL - 4/6/14 at 11:23am
post #4241 of 4954

Yeah, bass goes really deep, they're perfect for epic music.

EDIT: Great track 


Edited by Neo-ST - 4/6/14 at 1:20pm
post #4242 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post
 

Am I correct in saying that the X1 has a fairly flat/frequency response, with a slight bump for bass (but not so much)?

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf

 

If so, I am currently looking for other headphones that display these characteristics as it seems I like it a lot.

 

Anyone familiar with any other headphones that is comparable to the sound signature of the X1's...closed or open-back?

post #4243 of 4954

Hi guys, I'm buying a X1 soon and already have a 2009 mixamp pro. I mostly use it with my AD700 in FPS games with awesome results, but I'm looking for an improved immersion solution while playing single player games.

 

I don't much care about music, but I love playing games and watching movies.

 

For those that already own a X1 and play games on it, would I need to invest in an extra amp to use it properly (plus my mixamp) or the mixamp alone is enough? I'm looking at Fiio E12 or E09...but if it just improves the experience marginally, I don't know if it's justified to spend an extra 100 bucks in one of those.

 

Thoughts?

post #4244 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus007 View Post
 

Hi guys, I'm buying a X1 soon and already have a 2009 mixamp pro. I mostly use it with my AD700 in FPS games with awesome results, but I'm looking for an improved immersion solution while playing single player games.

 

I don't much care about music, but I love playing games and watching movies.

 

For those that already own a X1 and play games on it, would I need to invest in an extra amp to use it properly (plus my mixamp) or the mixamp alone is enough? I'm looking at Fiio E12 or E09...but if it just improves the experience marginally, I don't know if it's justified to spend an extra 100 bucks in one of those.

 

Thoughts?

 

I've had my X1s for about a month now. I game regularly. I have had no need for an amp. They sound fantastic with a great soundstage with just my onboard sound. I've been playing League of Legends, Diablo 3, Counter Strike: GO primarily. Sound is excellent. 

 

My onboard sound is pretty good but no amp. I still want one eventually but I sometimes listen to music while I play and it's more for that than the games.

post #4245 of 4954
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post
 

 

I've had my X1s for about a month now. I game regularly. I have had no need for an amp. They sound fantastic with a great soundstage with just my onboard sound. I've been playing League of Legends, Diablo 3, Counter Strike: GO primarily. Sound is excellent. 

 

My onboard sound is pretty good but no amp. I still want one eventually but I sometimes listen to music while I play and it's more for that than the games.


Good to hear you enjoy your headphone.

Anyway, If you ever have the oppertunity to try a dac/amp or money to spend on one, do it. It might amaze you that they can sound even better.

Had same experience myself (with other headphones); thought they where all I needed (and they where since I didn't knew better), until I tried them with a dac/amp. Blew me away what such improvement can make a difference.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1