or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 270

post #4036 of 5820

You can glue a new set on, what I want to know is how do phillips intend on repairing them ? I don't see any spare parts for phillips headphones anywhere.

Well I am keeping mine I don't care I'll just glue on pads when it comes to that and for now using the sock mod.

 

Apparently beyer pads fit ? for gluing at least

post #4037 of 5820

Wait, the pads for the X1 aren't replaceable?  That might just keep me from purchasing honestly.

post #4038 of 5820
I might sell mine tbh. This is just indefensible. You're basically buying a 2-3 year deal on headphones. That ruins the value.
post #4039 of 5820

I'm sure someone will try to disassemble and repair them sooner or later, then share the mod with us...

post #4040 of 5820

The problem is what pads to replace them with.  My Q701 pads are a bit bigger.

post #4041 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

I'm sure someone will try to disassemble and repair them sooner or later, then share the mod with us...


If one could get at least spare parts from the manufacturer, it'd be at least partially relieved. But since they are not, whatever mod modification would have to do with some other pad setting which would alter the sound profile most likely, besides the obvious ergonomic factor. But this is introducing an unacceptable level of contingency, not to mention the potential risks and failures of mod-repairing.

I spent some good time with these and I love their sound. But truth be told, unless someone comes with an accessible solution for this problem, it has destined this product to obsolescence within a 5 year window. That is NOT good, and being an audiophile that buys and trades all the time does not change this point. 

post #4042 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelianx View Post
 


If one could get at least spare pads from the parts manufacturer, it'd be at least partially relieved. But since one cannot, whatever mod modification came our way would have to do with some other pad setting, which would most likely alter the sound profile, besides the obvious ergonomic factor. But this is introducing an unacceptable level of contingency and potential deviation from the stock quality, not to mention the potential risks, troubles and failures of mod-repairing.

I spent some good time with these and I love their sound. But truth be told, unless someone comes with an accessible solution for this problem, Phillips has destined this product to obsolescence within a 5 year window. That is NOT good, these are suppose to be top-tier cans, and being an audiophile that buys and trades all the time or spends far more in high end cans does not change this point. 


Edited by krelianx - 3/3/14 at 1:44pm
post #4043 of 5820

You sure that pads would change the sound signature ?

post #4044 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

You sure that pads would change the sound signature ?


Pads do affect the sound profile; so unless one could get analogous parts I would expect different pads to have an effect on the sound, yes.

post #4045 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelianx View Post

I might sell mine tbh. This is just indefensible. You're basically buying a 2-3 year deal on headphones. That ruins the value.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelianx View Post
 


If one could get at least spare parts from the manufacturer, it'd be at least partially relieved. But since they are not, whatever mod modification would have to do with some other pad setting which would alter the sound profile most likely, besides the obvious ergonomic factor. But this is introducing an unacceptable level of contingency, not to mention the potential risks and failures of mod-repairing.

I spent some good time with these and I love their sound. But truth be told, unless someone comes with an accessible solution for this problem, it has destined this product to obsolescence within a 5 year window. That is NOT good, and being an audiophile that buys and trades all the time does not change this point. 


I've never used a set of headphones long enough to warrant replacing the earpads. My ultrasone's original earpads definitely have some wear over the years but they are still good and they came with a replaceable set, which is nice no doubt!

 

Why is it such a dealbreaker that the earpads aren't replaceable from the factory even though you love their sound?

post #4046 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post
 

 


I've never used a set of headphones long enough to warrant replacing the earpads. My ultrasone's original earpads definitely have some wear over the years but they are still good and they came with a replaceable set, which is nice no doubt!

 

Why is it such a dealbreaker that the earpads aren't replaceable from the factory even though you love their sound?

 

Because once they give away, which will happen is given extended use within a few years, then you're pretty much screwed. You can't get the same parts for replacement, which means you'd have to risk getting pads from another manufacturer (Beyer, AKG) and hope you can perform a mod that will preserve the sound as it is.

 

The X1s are also pretty easy to get crap on; so the sock mod might be a good place to start to ameliorate this. Still, I think everyone intending to keep these should pressure Phillips. 


Edited by krelianx - 3/3/14 at 5:11pm
post #4047 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelianx View Post
 

 

Because once they give away, which will happen is given extended use within a few years, then you're pretty much screwed. You can't get the same parts for replacement, which means you'd have to risk getting pads from another manufacturer (Beyer, AKG) and hope you can perform a mod that will preserve the sound as it is.

I guess I don't see that being too much of an issue then. I will just find a suitable replacement for the pads and replace them when the time comes.

 

I don't understand how the pads being a wearable item is indefensible. The non-replaceable earpads is a very small con for me and therefore the pros very much outweigh the cons for the X1s.

post #4048 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post
 

I guess I don't see that being too much of an issue then. I will just find a suitable replacement for the pads and replace them when the time comes.

 

I don't understand how the pads being a wearable item is indefensible. The non-replaceable earpads is a very small con for me and therefore the pros very much outweigh the cons for the X1s.

 

If we could find out, say, that some pads by other manufacturers can be replaced easily without compromising the ergonomics and preserving the sound signature, without trouble, then I'm totally satisfied. Beyer pads might do the job. We don't even know if there is a suitable replacement for the pads as of now, nor the implications of the mod for replacement.

post #4049 of 5820
Has anyone even had the pads on their x1 wear out? Do we know that its even an issue?
post #4050 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Has anyone even had the pads on their x1 wear out? Do we know that its even an issue?


We'll see I s'pose. I'll definitely make note of it and share.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1