Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 206

post #3076 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torashin View Post
 

Hi people. I got my new X1's today. One question; do the pads stop feeling so prickly and uncomfortable? I can't take any more :-/

 

I am truly wondering if there is more than one pad type out there. I am extremely sensitive to materials and while not very manly, I cannot wear wool AT ALL. Any wool and I am scratching, wriggling, itching and can't wait to get it off. Even a sweater over a thin shirt drives me nuts. And woollen suit trousers have to be 100% lined. Yet, I have no problems with the pads at all...when I touch them with my fingers they are not prickly at all. But you are not the first person to comment on this. So I am wondering if there are two variants out there.

post #3077 of 5145
I highly doubt there are different pads. Pad comfort is just extremely personal.

The X1s pads have a little different velour material than most velour headphones. I don't find it prickly, but I can see how someone else might. Pad material comfort varies a lot person to person.

If anyone has a major problem with the X1's pad material I wouldn't expect that to change much after owning it a while.
Edited by chicolom - 10/31/13 at 10:28am
post #3078 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post
 

 

This is why vendors have return policies, how about instead of endlessly asking for ratings...which tbh is pointless from person to person. Just dive in and get a budget dac like say the E17 which has repeatedly been recommended...if you don't like it or do not perceive a jump in quality worth the price it cost then send it back and you are just out a few shipping bucks. At least then you will actually know instead of repeatedly insisting everyone arbitrarily rate their own personal listening experiences with amp/dac and headphone.

 

It's very nice that people have obliged your requests but if you really think about it there are hundreds of variables to take in that could make a recommendation or rating completely irrelevant to you.

Thanks for the advice. I think a relative rating of SQ is more useful than saying that something sounds "much better than..". If we know that a rating of 1 is the SQ of ipod+default earbuds then at least we all have a reference to compare (especially for new people like me who have never used a DAC/amp before). 

 

I am planning on compiling all the comments so that it will be useful in the future if people want to know how current users of the X1 rate different amps/DAC. Anyway I'll use the private messages so I don't annoy everyone and I won't be offended if people don't reply so I hope no one feels I am insisting on anything..

 

Anyway, I'll post the results when I get enough data.


Edited by PTom - 10/31/13 at 12:06pm
post #3079 of 5145
Sounds like an interesting idea... Interested in seeing how this goes
post #3080 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I highly doubt there are different pads. Pad comfort is just extremely personal.

The X1s pads have a little different velour material than most velour headphones. I don't find it prickly, but I can see how someone else might. Pad material comfort varies a lot person to person.

If anyone has a major problem with the X1's pad material I wouldn't expect that to change much after owning it a while.

 

I seem to be getting used to it, thank god.

 

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a decent cable in the UK (apart from amazon rubbish)? The V-moda speakeasy looks great but  I can't get it over here.

post #3081 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTom View Post
 

Thanks for the advice. I think a relative rating of SQ is more useful than saying that something sounds "much better than..". If we know that a rating of 1 is the SQ of ipod+default earbuds then at least we all have a reference to compare (especially for new people like me who have never used a DAC/amp before). 

 

I am planning on compiling all the comments so that it will be useful in the future if people want to know how current users of the X1 rate different amps/DAC. Anyway I'll use the private messages so I don't annoy everyone and I won't be offended if people don't reply so I hope no one feels I am insisting on anything..

 

Anyway, I'll post the results when I get enough data.

 

Really pointless if you ask me, do what you want though obviously.

I see literally no benefit in the exercise.

post #3082 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post
 

 

Really pointless if you ask me, do what you want though obviously.

I see literally no benefit in the exercise.

 

I'd be interested in the results

post #3083 of 5145
I could definitely see the benefits espeially considering he does say hes newer on the audio scene. It could give people ideas of how much improvement you get and for how much money. Yes it might not be as sophisticated as being able to describe specifically the changes and benefits of different products but it breaks it down to something simple that almost anyone can understand. It would definitely be a good source for starters.

At the end of the day even if its not that useful for most people, its always interesting to see how peoples opinion differ based on their taste and experience with audio. Thats why we're here right?

Lets be a supportive community and have some fun with the thigs people are interested in doing.
post #3084 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

Lets be a supportive community and have some fun with the thigs people are interested in doing.
Love this and fully support it across all of head-fi.
post #3085 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torashin View Post
 

Hi people. I got my new X1's today. One question; do the pads stop feeling so prickly and uncomfortable? I can't take any more :-/

 

Prickly? Not so much. A little itchy, yes! Then again, I literally just started using them, so take that for whatever its worth. As someone already mentioned though, comfort is a very user specific experience.


Edited by KarlAgathon - 10/31/13 at 2:24pm
post #3086 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

I could definitely see the benefits espeially considering he does say hes newer on the audio scene. It could give people ideas of how much improvement you get and for how much money. Yes it might not be as sophisticated as being able to describe specifically the changes and benefits of different products but it breaks it down to something simple that almost anyone can understand. It would definitely be a good source for starters.

At the end of the day even if its not that useful for most people, its always interesting to see how peoples opinion differ based on their taste and experience with audio. Thats why we're here right?

Lets be a supportive community and have some fun with the thigs people are interested in doing.

 

You're not getting my point at all, I am not discouraging anyone from doing anything. But what he was proposing is useless.

 

On the contrary I think it would be a bad misleading source, unless you provide alot more details. Like what your source is, what music are you listening to, what sample rate, what format etc. etc. etc.  and that's not even getting into other physical differences. Otherwise it's just going to be a bunch of baseless numbers.  You get me ?

 

The bottom line is he was fishing for ratings to somehow sway his opinion one way or another on trying a dac with this headphone or not, and that's the completely wrong way to go about it. He even started a separate thread about it. How could you possibly think someone elses ears and hearing could help you come to an ultimate decision. If he would have just asked generally for suggestions and then went to do some research on his own cool, but the persistent asking for ratings got on my nerves. Not to be hard on the guy cause it happens all the time here and elsewhere, but you just have to listen yourself. Getting started and getting pointed in the right direction is great and helpful, especially in the beginning but know the limits of when information is beneficial and when it is not. What he was attempting to do, or is doing (go for it dude) is not beneficial. If anything it will lead someone to be lazy and trust someone elses opinion and not know any better.

post #3087 of 5145

My only advice to him and another new comer, use reviews and opinion as a guide on choosing the correct cans and gear. Don't take someone else opinion as an absolute point for your purchase.

I already have my own mistake with the ATH M50. Other people and website review it like its a superb sounding and comfy cans. After I bought it the sound is just ok, congested and super uncomfortable (hard clamp, hot leather).

Try the cans or gear on your own and determine if its according to your sound taste, use other people opinion only as a guide. If you like it, then its for you.

post #3088 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

 

Custom Headset GEAR / Connection Cable with Gooseneck Microphone: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/custom-headset-gear.html

 

 

Got an email back from Beyerdynamic about this detachable microphone re it's impedance (a bit anal of me but there you go:smile:):

 

The guys from our R&D department told me today that the impedance of the cable must be much below 1 Ohm. If you have further questions don’t hesitate to contact me.

 

Best Regards,

 

Joscha Kretschmann, B.A.

Product and Marketing Manager Headphones

 

OK, I know it's expensive at $70 and I wouldn't be using it all the time, but do you guys think it would fit the X1 with such a wide collar at the jack? The other option is a V=Moda Boom Pro or a Reloop RHM-10 (Modmics are still waiting for their new version).

 

wow, thanks for that post. I was not aware that these types of microphones existed. I much prefer this type of setup that only has one cable instead of 2 like the modmic would have. 

 

Why get the beyerdynamic for twice as much as the vmode though, that one looks just fine, unless the cable is maybe inferior?

post #3089 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoogLe View Post
 

 

wow, thanks for that post. I was not aware that these types of microphones existed. I much prefer this type of setup that only has one cable instead of 2 like the modmic would have. 

 

Why get the beyerdynamic for twice as much as the vmode though, that one looks just fine, unless the cable is maybe inferior?

 

Or the radio shack one which is only $10...

 

-Erik

post #3090 of 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post
 

 

Or the radio shack one which is only $10...

 

-Erik

ah, found it

 

 

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16409356#

 

vmoda one looks much better quality though


Edited by MoogLe - 11/1/13 at 9:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1