Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 186

post #2776 of 4839

So fun when people are talking about my cable!

It got here lightning quick.

Aesthetics are lost on me but it sounds great, just what i wanted. Mids come a bit more out of the mix, Everything stands out a bit more that warm lushness is gone a bit.

uote:

Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I made a cable for the X1 with Plussound SPC and two Viablue connectors. I hadn't used the Viablue plugs before so I made it upon request for the practice.

Not sure if it's the wire alone or a combo of it and the plugs but when I tried it on my gear before shipping it out, it was like new life into blown into my gear. It was a noticeable improvement over other things I've tried. I had 0 expectation bias going in. Maybe even negative as I didn't expect it to be any different.

Can't wait to hear the members take with the X1 and the cable. Going to be at least a week due to shipping though.

Made me want to make another
post #2777 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
 

 

 

Well just so you know...... that cable is gorgeous!!

post #2778 of 4839

I mentioned this in the discovery thread...

 

Btw, anyone who is interested in the ZU mission cable for their Phillip's X1's can get it here:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zu-Audio-MISSION-iPod-cable-3-3-ft-1m-mini-to-RCA-BLACK-/360731322714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fd43295a

 

When you buy it, you just have to tell them to change it to a "mini to mini" cable and they will do that for no extra charge.

 

And yes, the cable really plays very nicely with the X1. Very nicely.

post #2779 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

I mentioned this in the discovery thread...

Btw, anyone who is interested in the ZU mission cable for their Phillip's X1's can get it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zu-Audio-MISSION-iPod-cable-3-3-ft-1m-mini-to-RCA-BLACK-/360731322714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fd43295a

When you buy it, you just have to tell them to change it to a "mini to mini" cable and they will do that for no extra charge.

And yes, the cable really plays very nicely with the X1. Very nicely.

I'm confused. Are you advertising for them?

It sounds a lot like when ericp did they same.
Do you own one of theirs cause I don't see you having one listed.

I'd love to give one of theirs whirl but their whole answers section provides almost no actual information about their cables other than it's a "trade secret".

They don't actually explain their cable as much as try to explain why they think other cables are bogus. Feels like partial truths mixes with a lot of bogus run around.

400 hours of burn in to reach proper sound?
That's just plain bs when it comes to cables and dielectric properties.
post #2780 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


I'm confused. Are you advertising for them?

It sounds a lot like when ericp did they same.
Do you own one of theirs cause I don't see you having one listed.

 

No, not advertising them, and no stock in the company lol. Just trying to be helpful. And yes, I bought one and received it a few days ago.

 

Quote:
 I'd love to give one of theirs whirl but their whole answers section provides almost no actual information about their cables other than it's a "trade secret".

They don't actually explain their cable as much as try to explain why they think other cables are bogus. Feels like partial truths mixes with a lot of bogus run around.

400 hours of burn in to reach proper sound?
That's just plain bs when it comes to cables and dielectric properties.

 

I can't help you with any of that. But what I am finding (without the prerequisite 400 hour burn in lol), is that the bass is tightened up, and extra clarity, definition and refinement seems to be added to the entire spectrum. In short, it sounds excellent to me. But ymmv.

 

Fwiw, it's $79 on the main ZU website. So if you want it, that ebay link is the much better deal at $39.99.

post #2781 of 4839

No offense but I'm sure a typical $10 mediabridge cable will sound the same in this case.

Maybe it makes a difference when you hit the thousand dollar hi-fi territory, but cmon...

 

Looks no better than my home made cable. Megumi cabling + paracord + neutrik plugs.

post #2782 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanpandaChan View Post
 

No offense but I'm sure a typical $10 mediabridge cable will sound the same in this case.

Maybe it makes a difference when you hit the thousand dollar hi-fi territory, but cmon...

 

Looks no better than my home made cable. Megumi cabling + paracord + neutrik plugs.

 

No offense taken.

post #2783 of 4839
Having the Media Bridge cable, BlueRigger cable, V-Moda cable and a couple of others, the Zu cable made the biggest difference for the better that I can hear.
post #2784 of 4839
I didn't mean offense either. It just reminded me of a month or so back when I saw ericp come out with one of their cables out of the blue. His post seemed very "selling this product".

His post was followed up a few posts later by a new user that sounded exactly like an ad for the cable.

While it doesn't matter what he does or who he supports, the whole thing felt a little shady and staged under the pretence or his board reputation. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Doesn't mean that the cables aren't good, but they really avoid giving details on their products. It's too bad because I very much like where they are manufactured.
Edited by Kamakahah - 9/29/13 at 8:25pm
post #2785 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I didn't mean offense either. It just reminded me of a month or so back when I saw ericp come out with one of their cables out of the blue. His post seemed very "selling this product".

His post was followed up a few posts later by a new user that sounded exactly like am ad for the cable.

While it doesn't matter what he does or who he supports, the whole thing felt a little shady and staged under they presence or his board reputation. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Doesn't mean that the cables aren't good, but they really avoid giving details on their products. It's too bad because I very much like where they are manufactured.

 

No problem. Although eric's post may have come across as "selling" (just like my post apparently did), he was just expressing his satisfaction in the cable. And that's the only reason I am posting about it also - because I am actually quite happy with it and I think that if someone is looking for a different cable for their X1, they should consider it.

 

Fwiw, after those initial posts, the ebay listing for the ZU mission "mini to mini" cable listing was discontinued, and even though quite a few people had gotten it and were really happy with the cable, they were a bit confused and annoyed with ZU for doing the de-listment, so not much more was mentioned about it after that. I contacted them however and apparently you can do what I suggested - order the one I linked to but ask them to change the order. So, I just wanted to make my post in case anyone else had previously been interested in it.

post #2786 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


I'm confused. Are you advertising for them?

It sounds a lot like when ericp did they same.
Do you own one of theirs cause I don't see you having one listed.

I'd love to give one of theirs whirl but their whole answers section provides almost no actual information about their cables other than it's a "trade secret".

They don't actually explain their cable as much as try to explain why they think other cables are bogus. Feels like partial truths mixes with a lot of bogus run around.

400 hours of burn in to reach proper sound?
That's just plain bs when it comes to cables and dielectric properties.

Woah Woah Woah hold on there meng, aren't you the same dood that has been selling your cables on this thread??? Don't know how much you charge and what your claims are but WAYNE just purchased a cable from those Zu guys cuz in Dsnuts Discovery Thread it was given VERY favorable reviews by many trusted members.

 

He just got them like a day ago and was immediately WOWed as i was by them and is simply relaying what he has heard and from personal experience, so how are you gonna accuse him of advertising/ a shill for the Zu people. :rolleyes:

 

See this is why despite i recently got this cable i didn't even bother to share my experience on this thread, cuz the Zu guys were originally selling them for $35 shipped but they suddenly pulled their listing after Dsnuts and others were saying how amazing they paired with the X1s. Despite people contacting them about relisting for the $35 price they wouldn't do it cuz of some lamo promo excuse, which got EVERYONE me included PISSED and was saying how we were gonna boycott them for such a shady practice.

 

But they somewhat changed their mind and was allowing others that order their RCA mini cable to change it to a mini to min by request so in essence you're getting the same cable as the original $35 one but now you had to pay $40 which also requires a request to change the cable as WAYNE's post stated.

 

This was why i wasn't really diggin' those Zu guys, But my X1s were not really sounding as amazing as i expected them to so i ended up giving that Zu cable a try, cuz if not i would probably have sold these X1s again. Long story short the Zu cable is MUCH MUCH better than the stock cable or even my cheap ~$10 aftermarket cable. In fact that cheapo aftermarket cable sounded just slightly better, with a tiny a bit more brightness and less congestion than the stock one. But when i hooked the Zu cable to my X1s they FINALLY sounded the way i had expected them to sound. Here is what i PMed to others:

 

Quote:
 
38x38px-ZC-5a4c7316_images.jpeg
sfwalcer
Sep 22, 2013 at 12:52 am
HOLY CRAP THIS STUPID CABLE IS THE REAL DEALIO!!! The sound is sooo much more clear, engaging/ lively/ spacious and upfront!!!

Maybe it is just that these have a lower resistance etc, but D'YAM pretty impressive so far compared to the sound of the stock cable. It is also slightly louder on the same volume level as the stock one, makes these X1s just a bit easier to drive. Me likey so far!!!

Finally these X1s are where i want them to sound. NICE!!!

+

Quote:
 Yeah ya'll probably have noticed i was being kinda quiet about these X1s, cuz with the stock cable it really wasn't ALL that impressive and a bag of chips to me. They were good but doesn't have that WOW factor as i had hoped. BUT with this stupid Zu cable their sound is much more engaging and WOW worthy. This change is not completely night and day but there are noticeable subtle changes in the sound with the cable changes. Lets just say it refines the overall sound of X1s and bring them to a more dynamic level.

+

Quote:
 Yeah WAYNE these these damn Zu cables has finally made me appreciate the sound of these X1s, man people say they aren't THAT hard to drive, but they are pretty damn hard to drive WELL that's for sure. Takes a lot of juice and power in order for them to sound right, so i imagine the DX50s with it's neutral sound will gel crazy nicely with them. Oh well too bad i don't like the looks of the DX50s and the X3s much, so no rush to get them as well. Best to buy when they are stable and all the bugs are ironed out, then it's time to go in for a killing!!! :ph34r:

 

I didn't even want to post about the Zu cable here cuz they wouldn't relist them for the original price, but they seems to have really good customer service and was really prompt in answering my questions and requests, so i guess i can give them a pass, but still i was like meng $40 for a stupid cable you people must be trippin' but sadly for me it does make a pretty big difference.

 

/rant.


Edited by sfwalcer - 9/29/13 at 8:40pm
post #2787 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

Woah Woah Woah hold on there meng, aren't you the same dood that has been selling your cables on this thread??? Don't know how much you charge and what your claims are but WAYNE just purchased a cable from those Zu guys cuz in Dsnuts Discovery Thread it was given VERY favorable reviews by many trusted members.

 

He just got them like a day ago and was immediately WOWed as i was by them and is simply relaying what he has heard and from personal experience, so how are you gonna accuse him of advertising/ a shill for the Zu people. :rolleyes:

 

See this is why despite i recently got this cable i didn't even bother to share my experience on this thread, cuz the Zu guys were originally selling them for $35 shipped but they suddenly pulled their listing after Dsnuts and others were saying how amazing they paired with the X1s. Despite people contacting them about relisting for the $35 price they wouldn't do it cuz of some lamo promo excuse, which got EVERYONE me included PISSED and was saying how we were gonna boycott them for such a shady practice.

 

But they somewhat changed their mind and was allowing others that order their RCA mini cable to change it to a mini to min by request so in essence you're getting the same cable as the original $35 one but now you had to pay $40 which also requires a request to change the cable as WAYNE's post stated.

 

This was why i wasn't really diggin' those Zu guys, But my X1s were not really sounding as amazing as i expected them to so i ended up giving that Zu cable a try, cuz if not i would probably have sold these X1s again. Long story short the Zu cable is MUCH MUCH better than the stock cable or even my cheap ~$10 aftermarket cable. In fact that cheapo aftermarket cable sounded just slightly better, with a tiny a bit more brightness and less congestion than the stock one. But when i hooked the Zu cable to my X1s they FINALLY sounded the way i had expected them to sound. Here is what i PMed to others:

 

+

+

 

I didn't even want to post about the Zu cable here cuz they wouldn't relist them for the original price, but they seems to have really good customer service and was really prompt in answering my questions and requests, so i guess i can give them a pass, but still i was like meng $40 for a stupid cable you people must be trippin' but sadly for me it does make a pretty big difference.

 

/rant.

 

Let me go ahead and set you straight. I don't sell cables. I offered to build X1 cables for some guys here in the thread so I can practice. They chose the materials, they paid for them, and I built the cable. End of story. 

 

I still stand by my thoughts about the posts that I read. 

 

I didn't accuse Wayne of advertising. I asked him if he was. Huge difference there. 

 

Specifically, I never mentioned anything about how any Zu cable performs since I haven't tried one. I said that I'd like to compare it sometime. What was stated is that their website is filled with a lot of information but no actual mention to the materials they use. All of their "answers" are run-arounds to point at other cable companies without actually telling you what you are getting. There are more than a few mentions on their site to things that are totally unproven. They spend their whole time trying to disprove, while only saying that they have "done significant research" but never actually post or link to a single piece of it. I'm a molecular biologist. You know what we call people that don't have data for their experiments? Nothing, because they aren't anything. If you say that you've done research but never show any of it, then it's the same as having done none. 

 

I'm not trying to offend the "well-known and trusted" members, as if that means anything (its the internet). I am simply calling the bull**** as I see it and this one smells. 

 

Just to make myself clear. I'm not saying that their cables don't shoot double-rainbows of joy out their butts and into your ears. But based on the information that THEY provide, their cable is no different than the thousands of other cable makers. Other cable makers that are mention on these boards and are well respected offer up the details of their cables. 

So their cables could be great for the X1, but then again they could be the same as any other. But none of that really matters. The simple point is, I asked a question. I pointed out a concern. I got an answer to my question, and my same concerns remain the same. 

 

Edit: just wanted to add. If we as members don't point out the companies that are making claims that we don't feel are 100% the truth, who else is going to do it?


Edited by Kamakahah - 9/29/13 at 9:20pm
post #2788 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 

 

Let me go ahead and set you straight. I don't sell cables. I offered to build X1 cables for some guys here in the thread so I can practice. They chose the materials, they paid for them, and I built the cable. End of story. 

 

I still stand by my thoughts about the posts that I read. 

 

I didn't accuse Wayne of advertising. I asked him if he was. Huge difference there. 

 

Specifically, I never mentioned anything about how any Zu cable performs since I haven't tried one. I said that I'd like to compare it sometime. What was stated is that their website is filled with a lot of information but no actual mention to the materials they use. All of their "answers" are run-arounds to point at other cable companies without actually telling you what you are getting. There are more than a few mentions on their site to things that are totally unproven. They spend their whole time trying to disprove, while only saying that they have "done significant research" but never actually post or link to a single piece of it. I'm a molecular biologist. You know what we call people that don't have data for their experiments? Nothing, because they aren't anything. If you say that you've done research but never show any of it, then it's the same as having done none. 

 

I'm not trying to offend the "well-known and trusted" members, as if that means anything (its the internet). I am simply calling the bull**** as I see it and this one smells. 

 

Just to make myself clear. I'm not saying that their cables don't shoot double-rainbows of joy out their butts and into your ears. But based on the information that THEY provide, their cable is no different than the thousands of other cable makers. Other cable makers that are mention on these boards and are well respected offer up the details of their cables. 

So their cables could be great for the X1, but then again they could be the same as any other. But none of that really matters. The simple point is, I asked a question. I pointed out a concern. I got an answer to my question, and my same concerns remain the same. 

 

Edit: just wanted to add. If we as members don't point out the companies that are making claims that we don't feel are 100% the truth, who else is going to do it?

^ Fair enough..... but since you have concerns regarding the integrity of the said company and questions their claim then wouldn't it behove you to "test" out your hypothesis by researching/ experimenting with some of the stated materials molecular biologist???

 

Since you are into cables/ DIY stuff it only makes sense now for you to get one of these Zu cables and test/ hear them for yourself to see if there is really a difference between yours or not. Shoot $40 should be no big deal cuz i remember you posting one of them cable plugs you used that already cost $15. 

 

Your tone was in an accusatory manner, that what matters. If you stated it in a different way then i wouldn't have given it any further thought.

 

Welp i don't really give a hoot about "well-know and trusted" members as well, but i was just saying that MANY others have talked about this cable and are they ALL advertising for it??? Telling others about a great sounding piece of gear is not a crime ya' know and if that counts as advertising simply cuz you like the said gear then shoot i guess i am working/advertising for JVC, ATH, KEF, Vsonic, and now Zu, etc etc.  If that's call "advertising" then you indeed smell something and that something is coming outta' your mouth. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself as that wonderful saying goes.

 

Yeppp 100% agreed with you regarding pointing out the bull claims that companies make, but if you are gonna shoot off your mouth then you better have some solid evidence to back your claims as well. Karma is a too way street meng.

 

edit: almost forgot to post this insightful quote: :tongue_smile:

Quote:
 
 "Everyone has limited knowledge which means that everyone's Truth will be different, but that doesn't make them more wrong than someone else. If a person says someone else is wrong he is wrong himself because he doesn't know that the knowledge of the other person is the Truth for him. But in the end, he isn't wrong anyway because the limited knowledge made him act that way."
 
-- Patrick82

Edited by sfwalcer - 9/29/13 at 10:18pm
post #2789 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

^ Fair enough..... but since you have concerns regarding the integrity of the said company and questions their claim then wouldn't it behove you to "test" out your hypothesis by researching/ experimenting with some of the stated materials molecular biologist???

 

Since you are into cables/ DIY stuff it only makes sense now for you to get one of these Zu cables and test/ hear them for yourself to see if there is really a difference between yours or not. Shoot $40 should be no big deal cuz i remember you posting one of them cable plugs you used that already cost $15. 

 

Your tone was in an accusatory manner, that what matters. If you stated it in a different way then i wouldn't have given it any further thought.

 

Welp i don't really give a hoot about "well-know and trusted" members as well, but i was just saying that MANY others have talked about this cable and are they ALL advertising for it??? Telling others about a great sounding piece of gear is not a crime ya' know and if that counts as advertising simply cuz you like the said gear then shoot i guess i am working/advertising for JVC, ATH, KEF, Vsonic, and now Zu, etc etc.  If that's call "advertising" then you indeed smell something and that something is coming outta' your mouth. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself as that wonderful saying goes.

 

Yeppp 100% agreed with you regarding pointing out the bull claims that companies make, but if you are gonna shoot off your mouth then you better have some solid evidence to back your claims as well. Karma is a too way street meng.

 

edit: almost forgot to post this insightful quote: :tongue_smile:

 

Great idea. In addition to building cables for members at cost, I should spend my hard earned money on trying to disprove every false claim that comes along to appease your sense of truth. And clearly there is a misunderstanding of what a hypothesis is because one was never stated. 

 

I realize that you are basically the resident troll. That's fine. You have a reputation to maintain so I don't take offense to your passive-aggressive "tone". I have nothing against you. I was simply pointing out what I saw and provided the reasoning for my position. 

 

Also, I also understand that the only actual reason for your response was to defend your friend Wayne. There is value in that. For that, you have my respect. However, It was unnecessary because my intent was never malicious. 

 

To answer your question (in bold). Please feel free to quote the part of any of my posts that I accused "ALL" the people that own Zu cables of advertising. So far, you are the only person to use that word. As a matter of fact, so far I have yet to accuse anyone of it. I said that they sounded "like they were trying to sell it" or "like an ad". I stand by those statements -- They did. 

 

See, here is the best part. I stated my opinion of the company and of the way I thought something sounded. That is otherwise known as an "opinion". As you might know, I actually don't have any need to justify my opinion. Now, if I had said "X members are all advertising for Zu cables and have ulterior motives", then it would only be reasonable to provide evidence of said statement. I made no such claim. 

 

Going to be frank here for clarity. You don't seem to hold any claim to this company. In fact, you've said things that would lead one to believe that you don't particularly trust their claims and practices either. So from that there are only a few possible reason for you to even respond. 1. For Wayne's defense (which you've already done). 2. Simply to be antagonistic.

 

I'm going to go with #1 as the reason and let it be the end of the conversation. 

 

Just to finalize, I don't think the information on Zu's site adequately or transparently explains their products and provides little to no explanation of their actual cable build to justify it being any different. Additionally, while Wayne isn't likely involved with Zu products in any way shape or form, he did offer up the product that I just explained seems shady. My reason for pointing out his post was to point out that the company has some discrepancies, not to hurt Wayne. 

 

"What is truth? It's true, if and only if it is actually the case". - me

post #2790 of 4839
Kama has been a real stand up guy, and he never asked for more than just price to ship and material. I would gladly give him extra just off that alone. Still using that cable as my Mixamp to E17 interconnect, Kama. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1