- 34 Posts. Joined 6/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Philips Fidelio L1/M1/X1 or ATH-ESW9 or V-MODA M-100? Last post on 6/5/15 at 4:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- seeking recommendations: B&W P5, Philips Fidelio L1 M1, Sennheiser Amperior, Focal Spririt... Last post on 6/24/14 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Philips FIDELIO M1 v Sennheiser HD25-1 II v Sennheiser Amperior Last post on 10/17/12 at 6:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for Liquid Dubstep/D&B/House (electronic music) Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
i bought it this buletooth headphone 1 week ago. when i received it, i found it's very weightless, i think it's about half an ounce weight. about the performace, it can play 7 hours or more, the...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 103post #1531 of 57476/20/13 at 4:39amVery good thx Before going for it, what about the sound ? Good ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1532 of 57476/20/13 at 4:44amYes, very good sound, and even has bass and treble balance, so you can add or take away some if you want. It also has a left/right fade, in case you're deaf in one ear, etc.
It's a fantastic device. I've owned it twice. Contemplating on owning it again.post #1533 of 57476/20/13 at 4:46amQuote:Originally Posted by bizkid
Today i got my Soundmagic HP 100 and it's bass slam reminds me of the X1. I kinda miss my X1 but i would like to have just a tiny bit less bass (~3dB) and clearer mids. Any contenders? HD600/650 maybe? I have owned the Sennheisers before but that was many years ago and i don't remember anything about them.
AKG K702 Anniversaries fit that description perfectly in my opinion.post #1534 of 57476/20/13 at 4:49amQuote:
+1 for the E17.
I love using it as a DAC for my PC and adding a little bass when listening to certain genres on the K702.post #1535 of 57476/20/13 at 4:49amQuote:
Agreed. Better mids, warmth, good bass (not as much as the X1), big soundstage, smoother treble than the X1, (but not HD650 smooth, so it's more airy). The pads are very much like the X1 in that they are memory foam covered in velour. The headband design is also similar.
What extension cable to go with that?
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/20/13 at 5:34ampost #1536 of 57476/20/13 at 7:01amI know this is hard to believe but after testing some Lorn tracks, the Inakustik cable has proven to be superior. The bass is tighter and cleaner than the Mediabridge cable. It sound sharper. The mediabridge cable is good 9better than stock), but the bass still isn't AS tight as the Inakustik. The stock cable is definitely less reigned in.
It sounds great. I hadn't heard what it does with overly bassy tracks until now. The Inakustik handles it better, without a doubt.
I'm almost fully convinced it's the impedance difference, so I'm gonna place an order for the Star version cable, which won't be as nice, but will at least be manageable. I which there was a 6ft option. 5 feet is a bit too restrictive, so I have to go with the 10ft one... Oh well, $15 less...
I just hope it sounds as good. Either way, I just re-packaged the Premium cable to send back, and ordered the Star.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/20/13 at 7:57ampost #1537 of 57476/20/13 at 8:21amso one of the cable you posted kind of scares me as it's labeled as silver color wall is actually a copper cable. I'd avoid that one.
I realize the desire to have the 6" cable to avoid overusing the jack on the X1, but the more your put between the HP's and the source will likely increase your resistance.
I'm tempted to make you a cable. I just got a bunch of parts in recently. The only thing I couldn't guarantee that your after is the resistance. I'm still trying to determine what variables in my cable making affect it.post #1538 of 57476/20/13 at 8:23amIf you build one with a low resistance, keep me posted. I'd be okay with a 6 footer, as long as it's as malleable (or close to) as the stock cable.
And yeah, i was thinking about that. Extension cables aren't known for keeping the SQ completely intact, so I decided to skip that. For now, I'll deal with the 9.8ft Inakustik Star cable. Can't complain for $10, and I'm sure it will at least be comparable if not better than the Mediabridge.
I saw THIS:
That's a good price for such a nice cable (IMHO), but the length is 2 feet too short (seller states it's about the size of the standard Monster cable, which I read was just over 4 feet).
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/20/13 at 8:29ampost #1539 of 57476/20/13 at 8:53ampost #1540 of 57476/21/13 at 5:02amHello, I'm still looking for a portable DAC/Amp for the X1 with PC or iphone as source. I initially looked at the Fiio E17 and E12, not sure I need a DAC acutally. I've also looked at the JDS Labs C5 that seems a good one too, how would it compare to the 12 ? Then Fiio or JDS ? And are there other competitors in the same price range that worth the value ? Thxpost #1541 of 57476/21/13 at 5:04amIf you're using a PC, you WILL want a DAC, unless you have a great soundcard with a LINE OUT. If you have a laptop, you DO want a DAC.post #1542 of 57476/21/13 at 5:07amQuote:post #1543 of 57476/21/13 at 5:15amYeah, you'll want the E17 over the E12 as the E12 is just an amp. Also, the X1 doesn't require TOO much power, and the E17 should be plentiful.
Not sure of the alternatives that are in the price range and in that form factor. Fiio brings out a lot of performance for the price. Comparable alternatives more than likely will cost twice the price.
I'm actually considering selling my Compass 2 for a cheaper, smaller setup, since I plan on sticking to my X1, and don't need all that power and size. Maybe like an Asgard 2 with an ODAC.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/21/13 at 5:17ampost #1544 of 57476/21/13 at 7:55amQuote:
A proper unit with a decent DAC can improve the sound quality to easily noticeable levels while an amp can't improve a thing on its own. To put it simple, a nice amp like the E12 can give you more control over the sound... Some amps are even used to color the sound a bit to meet the listener's music tastes (tube amps are an example), however an amp can't "elevate" the sound without the proper rig. Since using the PC headphone out means you are basically double-amping, you'll probably end up exalting the quirks and the flaws of the built-in soundcard.
You can read a lot about a huge number of alternatives around here on head-fi like the Izmo M1 and the Leckerton Audio UHA S6-MKII, however they don't have the same features and/or they cost at least twice the price. The E17 is one of the best portable DAC/AMPs considering its price-to-quality&features-ratio.
Since you are looking for a simple USB DAC/AMP w/AUX-IN for portable use you should look for the less pricey units like the iBasso D-ZERO, the FiiO E07k "Alpen" or the good ol' HeadRoom Total Bithead (this one isn't recommended for sensitive IEMs and low impedance cans).
Edited by MrScratch - 6/21/13 at 8:01ampost #1545 of 57476/21/13 at 10:46am
Ok thanks for your feedback.
Guess I'll consider the E17 as very versatile piece.
I just see positive review about the Hippo Cricri+ that seems to sound a bit better (and less warm) than the E17.
What do you think about this one considering the X1 sound a bit warm by itself ?
"CriCri+ VS E17
Well the E17 comes packed with accessories and features, variable gain is very helpful, and it also has a fairly clean sound, but does sound a bit warm compared to the CriCri+, I think the E17 has the upper hand in features and accessories, but the CriCri+ sounds better and is smaller and a lot more portable, as it really doesn’t add much weight or bulk to a portable setup that can be used with your computer when you need it.
I personally prefer the E17 for its features, but that is because I use IEM’s most of the time, if I used more full size cans then I would probably go for the CriCri+ as it has the upper hand in detail retrieval and overall cleaner sound."
Edited by Padawan38 - 6/21/13 at 11:10am
- [New] Philips Fidelio X1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › m50x and iPod. Help! 1 minute ago
- › Brainstorming concepts for newly designed headphones. 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser's New HD Line of Affordable Headphones (HD 451, HD 461,... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 2 minutes ago
- › Help Required with my MUSIC SETUP MESS!! 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Hunter Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Sports 4.1 Bluetooth Headset... by Shobin Wang
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...