Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 89

post #1321 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleniekov View Post

Is there a problem with the stock cable?

 

Check this video to know more about the X1...

Tyll is an excellent reviewer.

 

post #1322 of 4342

Hmm okey, thank you. What kind of features does my new cable need to have, besides low resistance? What kind of connectors and whatever?

 

Edit: oh wait he just said in the video, hehe.. They use minijack!

Have you guys reached a consensus on good choices for replacement cables?


Edited by taleniekov - 5/27/13 at 4:02pm
post #1323 of 4342
V-moda cables.
post #1324 of 4342
The consensus so far is: V Moda gives minimal improvement (I think it's impedance is still high at 1.3 ohms). Other better ones that have been suggested are Mogami cables or the Moon Audio Dragon series. I've personally ordered a Toxic cable but still waiting for it to arrive.
post #1325 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci80899 View Post

. I've personally ordered a Toxic cable but still waiting for it to arrive.

 

 I have used a toxic cable with X1's since December and the results are really excellent.  I have not used my Beyer T1's ever since !!!

 

My toxic cable is the silver plated high purity copper with cryo treatment.  great improvement over everything else I tried including Silver Dragon mk 1's.

 

The biggest issue with the X1's is they are not very robust in use.  I have had to replace 2 so far since September last year and my 3rd pair are having problems again in signal drop out one Channel and its not the cable. Not sure of the long term reliability of the X1 for years of service. Its a shame as it a great headphone if you use a good cable.  I'd better get in touch with Phillips again !!!

post #1326 of 4342

So X1 + toxic cable > T1?

 

May I ask you:

Where could you get the toxic cable for X1?

How does the cable change the sound signature of X1?

And, how much is the cable? (I just googled it, it seems that toxic cable is really expensive! more than half the price of X1!)

post #1327 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaphz View Post

So X1 + toxic cable > T1?

 

May I ask you:

Where could you get the toxic cable for X1?

How does the cable change the sound signature of X1?

And, how much is the cable? (I just googled it, it seems that toxic cable is really expensive! more than half the price of X1!)

 You need to contact Frank at toxic cables via his website and ask what price for a cable for the X1 it will depend on Materials Length and end termination types 

 

I have 5ft of 3 wire Litz platted  each conductor is high purity copper silver plated and cryo treated with Viablue connectors.  Cost was £95 in December 2012. It was a special order from Frank and took about 8 weeks in the end to get but well worth the wait.

 

Its main improvements which I posted in Jan on this thread somewhere was that it lifted the midrange out of its mire  when using stock ,this helped improve the bass definition and also made the highs sound a little bit fuller as well. Yes not cheap but I did only pay £178 for the X! 's via special offer discounts available in December and therefore total price with cable was around RRP in the UK of £270.

 

 I currently prefer the sound signature of this combination than my T1's  which are still good in there own right for certain types of music.  I just like the sound balance from the X!'s for Rock and Pop especially Live recordings and Vocal/Guitar tracks.  Thats my Preference but certainly the X1+ toxic cable sounds better to my ears than my T1's ,HD650's with Stefan art audio cable and AKG Q701's with a Mogami cable I made . I have tried them all at home and find X1 + Toxic really a good combination with the rest of my system.

 

When partnered with a good head amp ( I use a XcanV8 with Russian Mil spec valves) the sound quality is really special but It also good with solid state head amps as well but I like the warmth/sweetness of valves !!! you need a low output impedance head amp to match the X1 low resistance, This also tightens up the Bass.

 

Hope this reply helps !!!!

post #1328 of 4342

Thanks a lot! Really helpful!

 

You brought the X1 via the official Philips UK online store I assume?

 

You said cable did improve the mid and perfect the bass of X1. So did the cable improve the overall transparency of X1? I guess your 650 would have better transparency (cleaner and clearer) than X1? Which amp/DAC do you use to drive these headphones?

 

But still the cable is way too expensive for me... I wonder there is a cheaper alternative?


Edited by soaphz - 5/29/13 at 4:32am
post #1329 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaphz View Post

Thanks a lot! Really helpful!

 

You brought the X1 via the official Philips UK online store I assume?

 

You said cable did improve the mid and perfect the bass of X1. So did the cable improve the overall transparency of X1? I guess your 650 would have better transparency (cleaner and clearer) than X1? Which amp/DAC do you use to drive these headphones?

 

But still the cable is way too expensive for me... I wonder there is a cheaper alternative?

Oh yes only use UK official online site so far except purchased 1 pair as a present for my son from amazon italy  which are still working !!!

 

Certainly the 650's Do Not have better transparency than the X1's the 650's have a midband that can get muddled on fast changes in dynamics especially guitar rifts and can sound quite coloured.  the  AKG Q701's are much better here as well as the  Beyer T1's but the overall balance and up front presentation of the X1's is rather special I think across the spectrum.

 

Its difficult to to recommend any other cable as I have used already assembled ipod cables which are compatable with the X1's  3.5mm to either 2 phono and Jack adaptor or  straight 3.5 to 1/4 jack but nothing has been as good as the Toxic !!!  I think it does depend on the rest of you system as I have found that the X1's are great at listening directly into the components that play the music and do scale up !!!

 

I have been listening to headphones for some 35 years and cost vs quality the X1's have been a great buy. Its such a shame I don't think they are mechanically robust for a real quality headphone on the internal wiring/connection side and the external cable which I started to changed 1 week after initial purchase is quite poor !!!     Anyway good luch in your quest for good upgrade cable I have used various microphone cable as well but unfortunately toxic was really the best by a long long way!!!

post #1330 of 4342

I am thinking about buying this as replacement to my stock cable:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-00m-Inakustik-Premium-Serie-MP3-Audiokabel-Klinke-Klinke-3-0m-/121086209228?pt=DE_Computing_Audiokabel_Adapter&hash=item1c314ceccc

 

Inakustik Premium, 3,00m, with solid conductors. Did someone use/have some experience with this cable? I tried to contact the seller twice about shipping to my country but he didn't answer me; the seller is German and, maybe, he doesn't understand English and doesn't know Google Translate either, I don't know. :o/ 

 

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Cheers!

post #1331 of 4342

X1's are no longer listed on the philips online shop.  Price has rocketed on amazon.co.uk web site as well (near on RRP).  Was waiting until payday to buy a new pair (after sending back the old because one can was louder than the other).

post #1332 of 4342
post #1333 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixlbg View Post

I am thinking about buying this as replacement to my stock cable:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-00m-Inakustik-Premium-Serie-MP3-Audiokabel-Klinke-Klinke-3-0m-/121086209228?pt=DE_Computing_Audiokabel_Adapter&hash=item1c314ceccc

 

Inakustik Premium, 3,00m, with solid conductors. Did someone use/have some experience with this cable? I tried to contact the seller twice about shipping to my country but he didn't answer me; the seller is German and, maybe, he doesn't understand English and doesn't know Google Translate either, I don't know. :o/ 

 

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Cheers!

If by solid conducter is meant that the core is solid then it could have a high cable noise and maybe it can break fast since solid core wires have less flexibility and higher breaking rate then stranded wire.

post #1334 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustin View Post

X1's are no longer listed on the philips online shop.  Price has rocketed on amazon.co.uk web site as well (near on RRP).  Was waiting until payday to buy a new pair (after sending back the old because one can was louder than the other).


You can buy X1 on amazon.it for € 190,13.

post #1335 of 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixlbg View Post

I am thinking about buying this as replacement to my stock cable:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-00m-Inakustik-Premium-Serie-MP3-Audiokabel-Klinke-Klinke-3-0m-/121086209228?pt=DE_Computing_Audiokabel_Adapter&hash=item1c314ceccc

 

Inakustik Premium, 3,00m, with solid conductors. Did someone use/have some experience with this cable? I tried to contact the seller twice about shipping to my country but he didn't answer me; the seller is German and, maybe, he doesn't understand English and doesn't know Google Translate either, I don't know. :o/ 

 

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Cheers!

Hi,

 

The premium version is a very stiff cable. It does have a very low resistance (see some messages back in this thread), but I would not recommend it to use it as a headphone cable.
The INAKUSTIK MP3 cable (cheaper than the premium version) is a thin flexible cable and also has a very low resistance (0.2 Ohms).
I would say just to try the INAKUSTIK MP3 cable because it is a cheap cable. It' no disaster that the cable isn't better than the stock cable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1