Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 49

post #721 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySaville View Post

In the pre-order email from CEntrance, neither of the two options for faceplates included the 1/8 inch combo connector. I ordered the [4-pin XLR and 1/4"] version.  Is that an oversight, or will the 1/8 inch not be included in the first production run?


The 1/8" combo will be included in the 4 pin version. It was not included in the 2x3 pin version because there is not enough room.

post #722 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post


So you're terminating your headphone cables with mini-XLR's then?

 

I certainly am.  

post #723 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

> Mr. Goodman, Please please please make mini xlr version, pls pls pls smily_headphones1.gif

mmm... We just spent a lot of money to cut aluminum. Argh... Let's do this in January, perhaps?
Couldn't be happier if there will be a mini-XLR version biggrin.gif Please make it come true.
post #724 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doralikesmath View Post


Couldn't be happier if there will be a mini-XLR version biggrin.gif Please make it come true.

 

I'd pay a little extra to make it happen.  

post #725 of 5050

And the moral of this story is to thoroughly vet the connectors before casting them in aluminum (as it were). 


Edited by jacal01 - 11/28/12 at 11:48am
post #726 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

I don't think the target market for this is those wanting to walk around with their balanced JH13Pro custom IEM.  I want this for going onto my back patio and watching the sun set over the mountain, while I listen to my LCD-2, HE-500 or HD800 with a beer.

 



I will also use my HiFi-M8 outside on my back patio and at the camping during the week-end. wink.gif


Edited by pfillion - 11/29/12 at 3:50am
post #727 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

I'd pay a little extra to make it happen.  

Yeah, that's the only (very small) quibble I have. The "rsa' has the form factor I want. The 4pin xlr has the robustness, and reliability I want. And plus it's made for audio while the rsa connector is not. The mini 4pin xlr would be the best of both worlds. But I completely understand centrance's situation since they have already set things in motion. But if the possibility arises that the mini 4pin xlr could happen in January, then I would be willing to wait until then.
post #728 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Yeah, that's the only (very small) quibble I have. The "rsa' has the form factor I want. The 4pin xlr has the robustness, and reliability I want. And plus it's made for audio while the rsa connector is not. The mini 4pin xlr would be the best of both worlds. But I completely understand centrance's situation since they have already set things in motion. But if the possibility arises that the mini 4pin xlr could happen in January, then I would be willing to wait until then.

 

At this point I don't have any balanced headphones but I'm predominately an IEM user which means the smaller mini 4 pin XLR would likely serve me better in the long run so I'd be willing to wait as well if it were a possibility.

post #729 of 5050

I would still like to see an S/PDIF input, or if space makes this impossible as I have been told, an external adapter cable that would allow an S/PDIF source to be used with the M8 i input or the USB input. I want to be able to use the M8 with other digital sources, such as CD players, not just with my Macs, PCs and i devices. Does anyone else have this need? 

post #730 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post


The XLR in your configuration is 4 pin which means balanced. You are fine for both single ended and balanced.

Thank you for the info.

post #731 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncreevy View Post

I would still like to see an S/PDIF input, or if space makes this impossible as I have been told, an external adapter cable that would allow an S/PDIF source to be used with the M8 i input or the USB input. I want to be able to use the M8 with other digital sources, such as CD players, not just with my Macs, PCs and i devices. Does anyone else have this need? 

 

The LX version comes with an S/PDIF input in place of an i-device input...

post #732 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doralikesmath View Post


Couldn't be happier if there will be a mini-XLR version biggrin.gif Please make it come true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

I'd pay a little extra to make it happen.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal01 View Post

And the moral of this story is to thoroughly vet the connectors before casting them in aluminum (as it were). 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post


Yeah, that's the only (very small) quibble I have. The "rsa' has the form factor I want. The 4pin xlr has the robustness, and reliability I want. And plus it's made for audio while the rsa connector is not. The mini 4pin xlr would be the best of both worlds. But I completely understand centrance's situation since they have already set things in motion. But if the possibility arises that the mini 4pin xlr could happen in January, then I would be willing to wait until then.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post

 

At this point I don't have any balanced headphones but I'm predominately an IEM user which means the smaller mini 4 pin XLR would likely serve me better in the long run so I'd be willing to wait as well if it were a possibility.

 

All of the above, emphasis on "little" ($20?  $30?  $50 tops, and I'd grumble) in "I'd pay a little more" and I am an equal opportunity iem/headphone user, but I use everything transportably, so preference for smaller parts.

 

Strong preference for mini 4 pin XLR, but can live with 4 pin XLR - it just means an adapter, another connection, and a male/female mini XLR joint on one end or another of my cable.

post #733 of 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncreevy View Post

I would still like to see an S/PDIF input, or if space makes this impossible as I have been told, an external adapter cable that would allow an S/PDIF source to be used with the M8 i input or the USB input. I want to be able to use the M8 with other digital sources, such as CD players, not just with my Macs, PCs and i devices. Does anyone else have this need? 

What you would ideally need is an separate mini or micro BNC SPDIF input connector, but I don't think there's room at this point.  Perhaps when the new Apple lightning idevice connector replaces the 30-pin in some downstream M8 version, if Michael hasn't become thoroughly disgusted with the Forum riffraff baying for more mods (myself included) by then, and stops soliciting input.

 

Heck, I'm willing to wait till February or even March for the 4-pin mini XLR, and pay up to $29.95 extra...  wink.gif

post #734 of 5050
^^^ but wait! There's more! Order today And we'll include at no extra charge, a Popiel pocket fisherman!
post #735 of 5050
Ok guys and mickeal, couple of questions here.

I'm on the preorder list (nice t-shirt by the way , thanks centrance team ;-))
I intend to use the flexibility of the hifi-m8 either to use it as a simple link between my ipod classic and my cans, and also to use it as nice source to connect to my amp in my speaker rig.
with this idear in mind, I went to the dual 3 pin xlr combo jack. But I've just realised that with the dual combo jack there is not the free space available to also have the 1/8 audio/optical spdif output ...arghhh ;-(
So now I'm wondering if I souldn't go with the 4 pin xlr to be able to have the optical output option. But is it possible to make a custom cable 4pin xlr (hifi-m8 output) to dual 3 pin xlr (speaker amp input) without sonic degradation? or at least something really subtle? I guess previously mentionned moon audio - alo -Qcable or other skills DIY could do such a cable with sufficient quality parts? Or is the technical and real world statement that the dual 3pin xlr output should be prefered with a speaker amp and rig?

I noticed there are 3 pin xlr (balanced) to rca (single ended) cable available? If connecting to the rca input of a speaker amp, Is there any benefit to use a balanced signal (4pin xlr output) instead of the single ended stereo jack?

Mickeal, with all your work on idevise with the hifi-m8, will we have the pleasure to see released a new dac mini px with integrated ipod dock? (that will kick ass!!!)

best regards everyone and thanks in advance for the advises;-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread