or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 288

post #4306 of 5768

Thank you for the quick response.  Will the audio quality of the AK120 + M8 LX be significantly better than the ipod + M8 combo?
Has anyone had experience in comparing these two?

 

Or I am better off saving my money for a new DAP and DAC next year......

post #4307 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post
 

There's an app called "Golden Ear" for iPhones & iPads which plays back up to 192kHz files but then again i devices can only output digital up to 48kHz max so all your high resolution files will be down sampled to 48kHz, so whatever you hear from the i device combi with the Hifi-M8 is actually 48kHz sampling rate.

 

If you're going for the A&K DAPs then you'll need the Hifi-M8 LX version for the optical input. Hifi-M8 XL4 version does not accept optical in.

Actually you can go up to 96 with iPads, but again, an AK100/120 with the LX is a much better combo, which is what I am using now.  BTW, you don't really need an AK for the LX since it is only a transport.  As long as you have a half way decent DAP that has an optical output, then you can use it for the LX and be fine.


Edited by DrSheep - 2/12/14 at 2:29am
post #4308 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by olilam View Post

My apologies in advance as I am new to headfi.
I currently have to hifi m8 and audeze LCD xc, which I run through my iPhone.

I recently downloaded some 96 and 192 audio files and really heard the difference. However, as expected the iPhone does not play the hires files.

I have read about ak100v2, ak120 , and zx1 and considering just getting an iPod touch.

I want to kindly ask whether some can comment on the dap setup with the m8. Will it be of a huge difference ?
If so, will I need to get the m8 LX to pair with my dap?

Also this may sound stupid, but since I ordered the WA7 fireflies, will it be necessary to use the m8 as well? Or do they provide the same functions?

Thank you and much appreciated smily_headphones1.gif

 

The ZX1 is Android based and will play through your iDevice M8, using Sony's special cable adapter.  It was done by one of our more active members, Rudi.  The only issue is the ZX1 has greatly reduced battery life this way, and I don't believe there's a way to charge the ZX1 while in use through the M8.

post #4309 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by olilam View Post

Thank you for the quick response.  Will the audio quality of the AK120 + M8 LX be significantly better than the ipod + M8 combo?

Has anyone had experience in comparing these two?

Or I am better off saving my money for a new DAP and DAC next year......

A current iDevice with iOS7 and the Onkyo player app will play high-res through the Apple CCK into the M8's USB B (non-iDevice) port.
post #4310 of 5768
Cool barbes, pls share the with us headfiiers a step by step method to do this. Thanks
post #4311 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post
 

Thanks for the link phototristan, but isn't this about the same size as the original? Any chance of getting those wall warts which is similar to the old Nokia mobile phone power adapters?

Search in this and the other M8 thread.  There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, including specific alternative chargers.

post #4312 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post

Cool barbes, pls share the with us headfiiers a step by step method to do this. Thanks

iDevice w/IOS7 > Onkyo HF Player app > Apple Camera Connector Kit > USB A to B cable > USB B input on M8.

post #4313 of 5768

Thank you for all the replies.  This community has always been so kind and swift to respond.

I have been trying to diligently learn about the audiophile world and I try to read as much as I can before I ask questions.

 

I know this next question will sound basic and common sense to some, but since players like the AK100/AK120/ZX1 already have an DAC built in, how does an external DAC such as the M8 improve upon the sounds quality?

post #4314 of 5768
Thanks for pointing out on the adapters barbes. As for the iPad & Hifi-M8, I assume this is working on iPad Air iOS 7.04. Does it need to be jailbroken?
Edited by Francisk - 2/12/14 at 8:56am
post #4315 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post

Thanks for pointing out on the adapters barbes. As for the iPad & Hifi-M8, I assume this is working on iPad Air iOS 7.04. Does it need to be jailbroken?

No, stock works.
post #4316 of 5768
Thanks for the info barbes, gotta get myself an Apple Camera Connector Kit.
post #4317 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by olilam View Post
 

Thank you for all the replies.  This community has always been so kind and swift to respond.

I have been trying to diligently learn about the audiophile world and I try to read as much as I can before I ask questions.

 

I know this next question will sound basic and common sense to some, but since players like the AK100/AK120/ZX1 already have an DAC built in, how does an external DAC such as the M8 improve upon the sounds quality?

 

Well there is the great debate.  The question really needs to be "Which DAC implementation is the best".  Those three players you mention have very good DAC sections, but most here would agree CEntrance did something special.  And the HiFi-M8 might be best.  But if you have one of those DAPs already, and like its sound sig, then buying just a portable amp might be the way to go.  Nobody would think less of you for going in that direction.  The A&K stuff has nice line out through their headphone outs.  And Sony has the PH-A2 to go with the ZX1.

post #4318 of 5768

DAC wise not so much, but the M8 can REALLY drives headphones into high heavens, especially with it's balanced output.

post #4319 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

 

Well there is the great debate.  The question really needs to be "Which DAC implementation is the best".  Those three players you mention have very good DAC sections, but most here would agree CEntrance did something special.  And the HiFi-M8 might be best.  But if you have one of those DAPs already, and like its sound sig, then buying just a portable amp might be the way to go.  Nobody would think less of you for going in that direction.  The A&K stuff has nice line out through their headphone outs.  And Sony has the PH-A2 to go with the ZX1.

 

Thank you for the information :)

 

I think I may have miscommunicated my question.  I currently have the M8 and am using it with my iphone.  

Besides the music file quality (96 or 192) how does connecting a DAP (AK100/AK120) which has in internal DAC improve the sound quality?

post #4320 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by olilam View Post
 

 

Thank you for the information :)

 

I think I may have miscommunicated my question.  I currently have the M8 and am using it with my iphone.

Besides the music file quality (96 or 192) how does connecting a DAP (AK100/AK120) which has in internal DAC improve the sound quality?

With the AK100/120 SPDIF out to M8 LX, the DAC in the AK is bypassed and the processor is only for DD conversion like DSD to PCM so the M8 can reads it.  Sound wise it is not necessary better or worse but just different.  However, like I have said before the AMP from the M8 is so powerful, that it will give much more life to any IEMs or headphones that you throw at it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread