The M8 has its own DAC. Assuming you go optical (Toslink) to the M8 LX, the AK1XX DACs are bypassed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 8/14/14 at 2:52pm in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Before I get started, I’d like to thank the team at Audiofly and Billy from Noisy Motel for making this tour possible. I know that the AF140s have received some criticism so far which is always a...
Disclaimer: I received my R3s for free under the condition I would write a review for them. Purchase price reflects their going rate on a popular online retailer at the time of the review. The...
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 284
Gear mentioned in this thread:
With either A&K offering, you'll be listening to the DAC section of the M8 and not that of the the DAP. Now I believe the ak120 does play a couple more formats, like DSD. That, plus the added storage might swing one to the more expensive offering...
We are (were) knocking on the door several times already but nobody seems home.
I don't think that it's going to happen, at least on the Centrance side. Maybe with an Apple iOS rev. that is backward compatible.
wow, while I am not happy (at all) that 24/96 hasn't been released yet:
I don't share your pessimism about "never", mainly because Michael Goodman all but promised that his team has a patch that updates the M8 to do 24/96 from iDevices.
if they totally bail on that "promise" there'd be some loud backlash I suspect.
maybe they are waiting to do a joint-release of 24/96 with the Mini-M8 ?
anyhow it needs to get done or CEntrance has misled us from the start.
Ill be going with the 100 then thanks
Not really. It's always been ambiguous as to whether they could accomplish it from the downstream DAC/amp side. And they certainly put forth the resources, at least for a while. Maybe they even hit a stone wall...
All true. Lots of maybes. I'd sure like to hear the status / plans / issues / potential time line if there is one. Right now, all most of us remember is 24/96 capability via firmware update, and a long delay to implement the ability to do firmware updates, for this purpose. Frankly, I'd like to have the capability, but won't be too disappointed if it does not materialize, either due to Apple's disinterest or CEntrance not being able to make it work. What does disappoint me a bit at the moment, is Centrance' long radio silence on this subject. Time to speak up, imho.
Sorry about the lack of info. We have been super busy with trade shows, HiFi-M8 production and Mixerface/Mini-M8 development.
The 24/96 upgrade is still in the works and we will have more info very soon!
thanks for the ping here, making sure all (current) M8 customers are updated on this stellar product!
We look forward to you or Michael chiming back in with the "more info soon" on the 24/96 upgrade.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 35 seconds ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado SR80e vs Beyerdynamic dt880 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best headphone/amp-dac setup for EDM. Budget: around US$4000 2 minutes ago
- › Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)