The M8 has its own DAC. Assuming you go optical (Toslink) to the M8 LX, the AK1XX DACs are bypassed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:35am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 284
Gear mentioned in this thread:
With either A&K offering, you'll be listening to the DAC section of the M8 and not that of the the DAP. Now I believe the ak120 does play a couple more formats, like DSD. That, plus the added storage might swing one to the more expensive offering...
We are (were) knocking on the door several times already but nobody seems home.
I don't think that it's going to happen, at least on the Centrance side. Maybe with an Apple iOS rev. that is backward compatible.
wow, while I am not happy (at all) that 24/96 hasn't been released yet:
I don't share your pessimism about "never", mainly because Michael Goodman all but promised that his team has a patch that updates the M8 to do 24/96 from iDevices.
if they totally bail on that "promise" there'd be some loud backlash I suspect.
maybe they are waiting to do a joint-release of 24/96 with the Mini-M8 ?
anyhow it needs to get done or CEntrance has misled us from the start.
Ill be going with the 100 then thanks
Not really. It's always been ambiguous as to whether they could accomplish it from the downstream DAC/amp side. And they certainly put forth the resources, at least for a while. Maybe they even hit a stone wall...
All true. Lots of maybes. I'd sure like to hear the status / plans / issues / potential time line if there is one. Right now, all most of us remember is 24/96 capability via firmware update, and a long delay to implement the ability to do firmware updates, for this purpose. Frankly, I'd like to have the capability, but won't be too disappointed if it does not materialize, either due to Apple's disinterest or CEntrance not being able to make it work. What does disappoint me a bit at the moment, is Centrance' long radio silence on this subject. Time to speak up, imho.
Sorry about the lack of info. We have been super busy with trade shows, HiFi-M8 production and Mixerface/Mini-M8 development.
The 24/96 upgrade is still in the works and we will have more info very soon!
thanks for the ping here, making sure all (current) M8 customers are updated on this stellar product!
We look forward to you or Michael chiming back in with the "more info soon" on the 24/96 upgrade.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 26 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 2 minutes ago
- › Best Single Driver IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 2 minutes ago
- › I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange 3 minutes ago
- › Ramen-Fi! 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)