The M8 has its own DAC. Assuming you go optical (Toslink) to the M8 LX, the AK1XX DACs are bypassed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 6/12/15 at 3:43am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 284
Gear mentioned in this thread:
With either A&K offering, you'll be listening to the DAC section of the M8 and not that of the the DAP. Now I believe the ak120 does play a couple more formats, like DSD. That, plus the added storage might swing one to the more expensive offering...
We are (were) knocking on the door several times already but nobody seems home.
I don't think that it's going to happen, at least on the Centrance side. Maybe with an Apple iOS rev. that is backward compatible.
wow, while I am not happy (at all) that 24/96 hasn't been released yet:
I don't share your pessimism about "never", mainly because Michael Goodman all but promised that his team has a patch that updates the M8 to do 24/96 from iDevices.
if they totally bail on that "promise" there'd be some loud backlash I suspect.
maybe they are waiting to do a joint-release of 24/96 with the Mini-M8 ?
anyhow it needs to get done or CEntrance has misled us from the start.
Ill be going with the 100 then thanks
Not really. It's always been ambiguous as to whether they could accomplish it from the downstream DAC/amp side. And they certainly put forth the resources, at least for a while. Maybe they even hit a stone wall...
All true. Lots of maybes. I'd sure like to hear the status / plans / issues / potential time line if there is one. Right now, all most of us remember is 24/96 capability via firmware update, and a long delay to implement the ability to do firmware updates, for this purpose. Frankly, I'd like to have the capability, but won't be too disappointed if it does not materialize, either due to Apple's disinterest or CEntrance not being able to make it work. What does disappoint me a bit at the moment, is Centrance' long radio silence on this subject. Time to speak up, imho.
Sorry about the lack of info. We have been super busy with trade shows, HiFi-M8 production and Mixerface/Mini-M8 development.
The 24/96 upgrade is still in the works and we will have more info very soon!
thanks for the ping here, making sure all (current) M8 customers are updated on this stellar product!
We look forward to you or Michael chiming back in with the "more info soon" on the 24/96 upgrade.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 2 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 6 minutes ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 7 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by snapacap
- › AKG Y50 Black On-Ear Headphone with In-Line One-Button Universal... by acain
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)