The M8 has its own DAC. Assuming you go optical (Toslink) to the M8 LX, the AK1XX DACs are bypassed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:35am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 284
Gear mentioned in this thread:
With either A&K offering, you'll be listening to the DAC section of the M8 and not that of the the DAP. Now I believe the ak120 does play a couple more formats, like DSD. That, plus the added storage might swing one to the more expensive offering...
We are (were) knocking on the door several times already but nobody seems home.
I don't think that it's going to happen, at least on the Centrance side. Maybe with an Apple iOS rev. that is backward compatible.
wow, while I am not happy (at all) that 24/96 hasn't been released yet:
I don't share your pessimism about "never", mainly because Michael Goodman all but promised that his team has a patch that updates the M8 to do 24/96 from iDevices.
if they totally bail on that "promise" there'd be some loud backlash I suspect.
maybe they are waiting to do a joint-release of 24/96 with the Mini-M8 ?
anyhow it needs to get done or CEntrance has misled us from the start.
Ill be going with the 100 then thanks
Not really. It's always been ambiguous as to whether they could accomplish it from the downstream DAC/amp side. And they certainly put forth the resources, at least for a while. Maybe they even hit a stone wall...
All true. Lots of maybes. I'd sure like to hear the status / plans / issues / potential time line if there is one. Right now, all most of us remember is 24/96 capability via firmware update, and a long delay to implement the ability to do firmware updates, for this purpose. Frankly, I'd like to have the capability, but won't be too disappointed if it does not materialize, either due to Apple's disinterest or CEntrance not being able to make it work. What does disappoint me a bit at the moment, is Centrance' long radio silence on this subject. Time to speak up, imho.
Sorry about the lack of info. We have been super busy with trade shows, HiFi-M8 production and Mixerface/Mini-M8 development.
The 24/96 upgrade is still in the works and we will have more info very soon!
thanks for the ping here, making sure all (current) M8 customers are updated on this stellar product!
We look forward to you or Michael chiming back in with the "more info soon" on the 24/96 upgrade.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 53 seconds ago
- › The smallest and the cheapest mp3/flac audio player - ONN Q6 Review 54 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Question about the X5 Player. 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)