Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 272

post #4066 of 5055

hey everyone!

 

So I am looking for a good setup without a huge cost (don't want to spend thousands). This means if I can get a good portable and desktop rig in one device, that would be awesome! This has lead me to the HiFi M8. I have a few questions however, and don't want to dig through 272 pages to see if they have been answered somewhere. Can someone quickly help?

 

  • I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sony MDR-MA900's, and Alpha Dog headphones. I take it this DAC/AMP sounds great on all of those?
  • If I have it plugged in and used as my desktop rig most of the time, am I harming the battery for when I do want to take it mobile?
  • I notice people like to bundle this thing with a source device, and I have heard if you use an iPhone, you can get interference with the radio. If I plan on using a longer cable and not have the iPhone right next to it, does this reduce the chance of interference? Also the only time I would be using it for mobile, is on a plane. Do I have to worry about interference it in airplane mode?
  • Any inexpensive MP3 players with optical out?
  • USB vs Optical from the desktop... any advantages for one or the other?
  • When hooked up to the computer from the USB, does it just show up as a sound card, or is it something special that something like foobar2000 knows how to send files too?

 

I am sure I have 50 other questions, but those are the most important ones :)


Edited by JeremyR - 12/9/13 at 7:59am
post #4067 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

hey everyone!

 

So I am looking for a good setup without a huge cost (don't want to spend thousands). This means if I can get a good portable and desktop rig in one device, that would be awesome! This has lead me to the HiFi M8. I have a few questions however, and don't want to dig through 272 pages to see if they have been answered somewhere. Can someone quickly help?

 

  •  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  • I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sony MDR-MA900's, and Alpha Dog headphones. I take it this DAC/AMP sounds great on all of those?
  • If I have it plugged in and used as my desktop rig most of the time, am I harming the battery for when I do want to take it mobile?
  • I notice people like to bundle this thing with a source device, and I have heard if you use an iPhone, you can get interference with the radio. If I plan on using a longer cable and not have the iPhone right next to it, does this reduce the chance of interference? Also the only time I would be using it for mobile, is on a plane. Do I have to worry about interference it in airplane mode?
  • Any inexpensive MP3 players with optical out?
  • USB vs Optical from the desktop... any advantages for one or the other?
  • When hooked up to the computer from the USB, does it just show up as a sound card, or is it something special that something like foobar2000 knows how to send files too?

 

I am sure I have 50 other questions, but those are the most important ones :)

 

1) Yes for the AD's, no comment on the other two, haven't heard them.
2) No
3) I've had no issues.  Longer cable will help.  No interference in Airplane Mode
4) I'll leave this one to others.
5) I'll leave this one to others.
6) Mac guy.  Shows up as an output device on Macs.

post #4068 of 5055

Have been running the Hi-Fi-M8 for a while from my IPAD. Completely plug and play, and I love the beautiful sound from this little DAC/Amp,

Last week I bought myself a new Samsung ATIV 9 Ultrabook running Windows 8.1.

Downloaded the Centrance Universal driver, and installed it.For some reason I couldnt get the computer recognise the HiFi-M8, and i didnt get this combo working at all.

Anyone else having trouble with the Centrance driver running Windows 8.1?

post #4069 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

1) Yes for the AD's, no comment on the other two, haven't heard them.
2) No
3) I've had no issues.  Longer cable will help.  No interference in Airplane Mode
4) I'll leave this one to others.
5) I'll leave this one to others.
6) Mac guy.  Shows up as an output device on Macs.

 

Thanks so much! I happen to be a mac guy as well, with a gaming PC. Was planing on using my gaming PC running windows 8.1, but I have a 27" iMac and an 11" Mac Book Air if I need to use one of those.

post #4070 of 5055

Ever step back for a second and realize how stupid your needs are?

 

So I realize the only real time I would use a portable setup is on a plane... however who cares how good the audio sounds on a plane? That's like putting a high end system in a Jeep Wrangler. I don't need to spend $700 on a portable capable solution, when I could apply that to a better desktop option, and then just not care when I'm flying.

 

Plug my M50's into my iPhone and be done with it.

post #4071 of 5055

Hi all,

 

Some prone for the case fanatics out there - this is a Megilla 950 case, with foam removed and replaced with 6mm foam sheet from Michaels, plus some glue. The case is just the right size that with the foam on the lid it holds the Centrance in place - and theres space for my IEMS, bands, cables etc.

In fact the rubber bands around an M8 may be sufficient as-is

 

  • Dimensions: Interior - 8.8"x5.18"x2.08"; Exterior - 7.88"x3.97"x1.55"

 

 

 

 

 

  • Waterproof (Floats), Dust proof, Dent resistant, Shatter resistant, Crush proof, Airtight

 

http://www.amazon.com/Megilla-950-Series-Waterproof-Drybox/dp/B007NMV782


Edited by JeremyLaurenson - 12/9/13 at 4:02pm
post #4072 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

Ever step back for a second and realize how stupid your needs are?

 

So I realize the only real time I would use a portable setup is on a plane... however who cares how good the audio sounds on a plane? That's like putting a high end system in a Jeep Wrangler. I don't need to spend $700 on a portable capable solution, when I could apply that to a better desktop option, and then just not care when I'm flying.

 

Plug my M50's into my iPhone and be done with it.

 

I dunno, I'm looking forward to using my AD's + M8 on a plane. I think the isolation of the AD will block out most of the ambient noise. Have you tried the AD?

 

But yes I do agree having a non portable setup does simplify the requirements and allow a lot more options

 

 

I have a question for windows users out there. Does the hifi-m8 work as a normal soundcard when connected via usb? System sounds and everything come through normally?

post #4073 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshark View Post
 

 

I dunno, I'm looking forward to using my AD's + M8 on a plane. I think the isolation of the AD will block out most of the ambient noise. Have you tried the AD?

 

No. Ordered them 2 weeks ago, so I have a while before I get them. Just got the Sony MA900's in the mail today. Been listening to them for the last 5-6 hours. Loving them.

 

I also plan not to travel with the AD's. That's what the M50's are for.

post #4074 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshark View Post
 

 

I dunno, I'm looking forward to using my AD's + M8 on a plane. I think the isolation of the AD will block out most of the ambient noise. Have you tried the AD?

 

But yes I do agree having a non portable setup does simplify the requirements and allow a lot more options

 

 

I have a question for windows users out there. Does the hifi-m8 work as a normal soundcard when connected via usb? System sounds and everything come through normally?

Yes, handles all sound for Windows once you install the CEntrance driver.

post #4075 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

however who cares how good the audio sounds on a plane?

I do.
post #4076 of 5055

Are any other M8 owners watching this thread?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1410

 

Its the Sony NWZ-ZX1 thread (AnakChan's unboxing in the link, with early impressions a little further down)

 

If all pans out, this Android DAP should be fully compatable with all flavors of the HiFi-M8, and have a native player that supports hi res files, and its 128GB hard drive is the storage level I'm currently craving.  Or am I mistaken?

post #4077 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

Are any other M8 owners watching this thread?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1410

 

Its the Sony NWZ-ZX1 thread (AnakChan's unboxing in the link, with early impressions a little further down)

 

If all pans out, this Android DAP should be fully compatable with all flavors of the HiFi-M8, and have a native player that supports hi res files, and its 128GB hard drive is the storage level I'm currently craving.  Or am I mistaken?

I am, and although it should work with the M8, I think the PHA-2 will be a better match for it.

post #4078 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspivak View Post


I do.

well, let me be more clear...

 

I care, but I am not going to pay a lot of money to change it from really really bad, to just really bad.

post #4079 of 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

I am, and although it should work with the M8, I think the PHA-2 will be a better match for it.

 

 

I tend to agree, but we already own the M8...

post #4080 of 5055

Has anyone received their preordered hifim8 without getting a shipping confirmation?

 

I'm worried they've forgotten about me :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread