Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 258

post #3856 of 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Thank you very much ExpatinJapan, very informative input wink.gif
added noisy commute impressions for the lighning cables.
post #3857 of 4961

Have you read this !!!   

 

An app that allow to play 24/192 & DSD from an iPHONE to an external DAC !!!  HOURAHH ???

 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/onkyo-hf-player-app-offers-24192-and-dsd-ios-devices

post #3858 of 4961
popcorn.gif
post #3859 of 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Have you read this !!!   

 

An app that allow to play 24/192 & DSD from an iPHONE to an external DAC !!!  HOURAHH ???

 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/onkyo-hf-player-app-offers-24192-and-dsd-ios-devices

THAT
IS
FRICKIN`
COOL
! ! ! ! !

post #3860 of 4961
Exciting stuff!

If it is true, .....but they also wouldn't be the first to mistake/confuse being able to put hi-res files on your ipod with hi-res output by ipods.


Until someone tests the app being output into a home system or similar showing the output sample rates i will have to stay in the wary doubters camp.
(Cck and the lights on a dragonfly lightning up aren't enough for me).

i am interested enough to download the free version so far though smily_headphones1.gif
post #3861 of 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Exciting stuff!

If it is true, .....but they also wouldn't be the first to mistake/confuse being able to put hi-res files on your ipod with hi-res output by ipods.


Until someone tests the app being output into a home system or similar showing the output sample rates i will have to stay in the wary doubters camp.
(Cck and the lights on a dragonfly lightning up aren't enough for me).

i am interested enough to download the free version so far though smily_headphones1.gif


Downloaded the free app.  I haven't purchased the HF package yet.  I have no way to know if it is actually playing 24/96 or downsampling.  Neither my Nova nor the M8 have a way to tell the actual file resolution on playback.  Somebody with a dac with LED's for source file resolution needs to take one for the team!  EQ looks decent.  The "famous artist" eq curves look pretty hoky.

post #3862 of 4961
Maybe we might see something on the cck and os devices thread.


It is a bit late...buut....

Tokyo Headphone Show tomorrow.

Any questions for Michael of Centrance?
post #3863 of 4961

Folks, I wanted to share a little DIY job I did on a lightning cable. Awhile back, I bought a few of the cheap "ebay" cables, and they work fine  with the M8 except for throwing the ios7 warning message that it's a bootleg cable.

 

So I using the M8 yesterday, I stuck it in a pocket to see how it worked out. The cable that sticks straight out is a no-go, it bends and I can tell it will fail. Even after 5 minutes, it was looking like this:

 

 

Not really the M8's fault, the cable is not built too well and obviously has no strain relief, you can see the cable separating from the connector.

 

So I sliced one of these up, and borrowed a couple parts from a right angle Neutrik 3.5mm connector. Here's the result:

 

 

There's still an ugly little hole in the plastic USB plug where the original wire came out, filled with epoxy:

 

 

 

But...It works just fine! and no cable pinching/bending in the pocket. 

 

This was just a rough "first try" to see if it worked out okay, the next one will be a black USB connector, maybe better wire, and an extra little strain relief at the USB end... some cosmetic improvements....Maybe heat shrink over the USB end, as the underside was slit open to take it apart, and epoxied back together. 

 

Anyway, an idea for anyone wanting to DIY their own M8 cable. I'll post pics of the "improved' version soon.

post #3864 of 4961

Ok after -$10, here is my quick test results with the Onkyo HF Player with the HD pack:

 

Test samples: 24/192 FLAC from HDtracks (American Idiot, Green Day) and random 64DSD from l2.

 

1, both format works, but they are being converted into PCM (unknown sample rate).

2, default upconversion is on, so make sure to turn it off for testing.

3, when connected to either my V-MODA VERZA or the VC SDT, 24/192 are converted to 48 PCM (blue 48PCM icon) but 64DSD does not (gray PCM icon as before), but this could be a hardware limitation.  Note that the VC SDT does support 96PCM in USB-DAC mode, but that doesn't work for my iPod Touch 5th Gen.  The same behavior for my VERZA even in USB-DAC mode.

4, my VC SDT has upconversion of it own and was set to 32/192, but since the USB-DAC mode doesn't work, I have no idea what's actually going on as none of the indicator lights work.

 

Bottom line is that this app is worth it and it is pretty easy to use.  However, I have a feeling that everything is being up/down converted into 48PCM so it is not exactly ideal.

post #3865 of 4961
Wow!, thats awesome!

Great low rider cable.
Edited by ExpatinJapan - 10/25/13 at 11:27am
post #3866 of 4961

Very nice cable.  I always have an idea of using ribbon cables like the ones for internal zif socket for a mod like this, anyone when to give it a try?

post #3867 of 4961

@thegrobe - Nice Cable!

post #3868 of 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post
 

Folks, I wanted to share a little DIY job I did on a lightning cable. Awhile back, I bought a few of the cheap "ebay" cables, and they work fine  with the M8 except for throwing the ios7 warning message that it's a bootleg cable.

 

So I using the M8 yesterday, I stuck it in a pocket to see how it worked out. The cable that sticks straight out is a no-go, it bends and I can tell it will fail. Even after 5 minutes, it was looking like this:

 

 

Not really the M8's fault, the cable is not built too well and obviously has no strain relief, you can see the cable separating from the connector.

 

So I sliced one of these up, and borrowed a couple parts from a right angle Neutrik 3.5mm connector. Here's the result:

 

 

There's still an ugly little hole in the plastic USB plug where the original wire came out, filled with epoxy:

 

 

 

But...It works just fine! and no cable pinching/bending in the pocket. 

 

This was just a rough "first try" to see if it worked out okay, the next one will be a black USB connector, maybe better wire, and an extra little strain relief at the USB end... some cosmetic improvements....Maybe heat shrink over the USB end, as the underside was slit open to take it apart, and epoxied back together. 

 

Anyway, an idea for anyone wanting to DIY their own M8 cable. I'll post pics of the "improved' version soon.

 

SUPER SUPER nice work !  

 

for the newbee that I am, can you detail more the exacts parts used and the wiring schema ?  I would like to do the same cable for my M8-LX...

 

and:

 

Just to be sure I understand well :

- you are using the NON iDevice version of M8 (the LX version) and it works well with an iPhone as long as you are under iOS7 ?  Right ? 

- Can you play 24/96 files without them being downsampled ? 

- with this DIY cable,  do you still have the  ios7 warning message ?

 

thanks a lot 


Edited by bmichels - 10/25/13 at 1:14pm
post #3869 of 4961

He is using the iDevice version.  The LX version does not have a USB A ("flat") input, only USB B ("square") input, and has a Toslink optical input instead of USB A.  See the first post and Expat's great pictures there...

 

Having said that, I (and perhaps others) have checked that the M8 does make sound with current iOS7-compatible iDevices when connected to the USB B input through a CCK or Lightning-to-USB Camera adapter, plus a USB A to USB B cable.  I'm not sure what limitations there are to the USB B input right now when connected in this way. 

post #3870 of 4961
Thanks for the kind comments on the cable, folks.

Bmichels - jazzman is correct, this is an i-device version. I don't have a CCK to make a cable to the Usb-B port to test functionality with the B port.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread