- 366 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 8/14/14 at 2:52pm in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 254
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am really thinking about 240 gb IPC and M8 but right now I can't afford both of them at the same time. Geez, being a master student sucks some times, well actually most of the times
Also I read that Rockboxed IPC doesn't work with M8, that's a shame but anyway, I guess I will convert 300 gb of flac to alac and for some of them, I will have to degrade from 24 bit to 16 bit.
Is it really worth it or I should get something plays everything I have just fine? (FiiO X5 or iBasso DX50 or something like that)
(I am ciem guy, I won't get that hard to drive full sized cans like planar magnetics and all)
I have. Can't remember if I posted in earlier in this thread or the impressions thread, but I mentioned that the 5G Touch and 3G iPad both sound better to me vs. a 2 year old Classic, playing ALAC either on device or streamed over my network.
This also addresses the earlier poster who stated that the M8 sounded bland. I'd ask what source he's using, b/c I also thought my initial combo of M8 / Classic / UE10 was disappointing. I've since improved other components of that chain -- now M8 / 5G Touch / UERM with balanced cables -- and I love this combination.
The M8 scaled up well, so it was not the singular weak link in my original chain, and now has great synergy with my current components.
That said, the M8 remains much darker vs. other livelier DACs such as the Microstreamer and Dragonfly. But those obviously lack the M8's sheer power, producing very dynamic, satisfying, grinning sound in my IEMs.
But as you point out it can be the difference between blandness and a great sound.
Hmm inalso have an old iphone 3g some where and my wifes iphone 4s i might give them a whirl. Also i would like to try a classic.
Ipod touch 5g best i have tried so far.
Owners of HD800 and/or LCD-2,
Do you guys notice any significant improvements over the balanced out of M8 versus the single ended? I'm wondering if it merits investing a different set of cables with balanced termination for these two headphones in particular.
It isn't precisely easy to swap back and forth between the two, but I want to say that I get a bit better separation and ambiance with the balanced out using my HD800s. Sounds a bit punchier, too. I notice it on my Momentums as well. It is subtle, though.
Me neither. Mine was supposed to ship Wednesday as well.
I spoke too soon. Just received an email from Kenny saying that my M8 has been shipped. Looking forward to checking this thing out first-hand. Hope you guys receive similar news soon.
Scratch that, Kenny just emailed me with a tracking number. Apparently the tracking order was initiated on Wednesday, so it looks like they are running on schedule. Hope everyone else gets their tracking number as well.
Should arrive Monday. Can't wait.
Like FraGGLeR I didn't notice a significant difference balanced / single ended though there seems to be a slight advantage to running balanced. The caveat is that it's hard to do a back to back comparison, and I haven't be willing to do the work for a blind A/B comparison. I also have little motivation since my HD800 is already balanced for my GS-Xmk2 to it's easier for me to stay balanced.
Also volume appears to be better in balanced making the bass a tiny bit punchier but not much compared to single ended.
I use M8 on the desk and on the go. I've been trying to duplicate the same effect with T1 on the desk when I'm on the go with iems (mostly with H-200) but getting a balanced cable on my IEM is not as easy as I thought.
Soon as my JH16PRO arrives I believe there are many custom cable options for this ciem I will definitely try it balanced with M8.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 seconds ago
- › New To Electronic Music, Recommendations And Genres? 14 seconds ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 37 seconds ago
- › Would a portable tube amp pair better with high impedance... 1 minute ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 1 minute ago
- › HELP! How to improve sound and mic quality? 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD 10.33 2 minutes ago
- › Is break-in necessary for my HiFi Man 400i or any headphone? 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd SA31 amp (Mel) (price drop) 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)