- 405 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:35am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 254
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am really thinking about 240 gb IPC and M8 but right now I can't afford both of them at the same time. Geez, being a master student sucks some times, well actually most of the times
Also I read that Rockboxed IPC doesn't work with M8, that's a shame but anyway, I guess I will convert 300 gb of flac to alac and for some of them, I will have to degrade from 24 bit to 16 bit.
Is it really worth it or I should get something plays everything I have just fine? (FiiO X5 or iBasso DX50 or something like that)
(I am ciem guy, I won't get that hard to drive full sized cans like planar magnetics and all)
I have. Can't remember if I posted in earlier in this thread or the impressions thread, but I mentioned that the 5G Touch and 3G iPad both sound better to me vs. a 2 year old Classic, playing ALAC either on device or streamed over my network.
This also addresses the earlier poster who stated that the M8 sounded bland. I'd ask what source he's using, b/c I also thought my initial combo of M8 / Classic / UE10 was disappointing. I've since improved other components of that chain -- now M8 / 5G Touch / UERM with balanced cables -- and I love this combination.
The M8 scaled up well, so it was not the singular weak link in my original chain, and now has great synergy with my current components.
That said, the M8 remains much darker vs. other livelier DACs such as the Microstreamer and Dragonfly. But those obviously lack the M8's sheer power, producing very dynamic, satisfying, grinning sound in my IEMs.
But as you point out it can be the difference between blandness and a great sound.
Hmm inalso have an old iphone 3g some where and my wifes iphone 4s i might give them a whirl. Also i would like to try a classic.
Ipod touch 5g best i have tried so far.
Owners of HD800 and/or LCD-2,
Do you guys notice any significant improvements over the balanced out of M8 versus the single ended? I'm wondering if it merits investing a different set of cables with balanced termination for these two headphones in particular.
It isn't precisely easy to swap back and forth between the two, but I want to say that I get a bit better separation and ambiance with the balanced out using my HD800s. Sounds a bit punchier, too. I notice it on my Momentums as well. It is subtle, though.
Me neither. Mine was supposed to ship Wednesday as well.
I spoke too soon. Just received an email from Kenny saying that my M8 has been shipped. Looking forward to checking this thing out first-hand. Hope you guys receive similar news soon.
Scratch that, Kenny just emailed me with a tracking number. Apparently the tracking order was initiated on Wednesday, so it looks like they are running on schedule. Hope everyone else gets their tracking number as well.
Should arrive Monday. Can't wait.
Like FraGGLeR I didn't notice a significant difference balanced / single ended though there seems to be a slight advantage to running balanced. The caveat is that it's hard to do a back to back comparison, and I haven't be willing to do the work for a blind A/B comparison. I also have little motivation since my HD800 is already balanced for my GS-Xmk2 to it's easier for me to stay balanced.
Also volume appears to be better in balanced making the bass a tiny bit punchier but not much compared to single ended.
I use M8 on the desk and on the go. I've been trying to duplicate the same effect with T1 on the desk when I'm on the go with iems (mostly with H-200) but getting a balanced cable on my IEM is not as easy as I thought.
Soon as my JH16PRO arrives I believe there are many custom cable options for this ciem I will definitely try it balanced with M8.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 5 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100 (VTF-100) One of the first 150 ever sold, with a bunch... 7 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Facebook, Ericsson & XL Indonesia Create...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3