- 710 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 1/10/17 at 7:24am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 254post #3796 of 578310/17/13 at 10:40amSubd
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3797 of 578310/17/13 at 11:12am
I am really thinking about 240 gb IPC and M8 but right now I can't afford both of them at the same time. Geez, being a master student sucks some times, well actually most of the times
Also I read that Rockboxed IPC doesn't work with M8, that's a shame but anyway, I guess I will convert 300 gb of flac to alac and for some of them, I will have to degrade from 24 bit to 16 bit.
Is it really worth it or I should get something plays everything I have just fine? (FiiO X5 or iBasso DX50 or something like that)
(I am ciem guy, I won't get that hard to drive full sized cans like planar magnetics and all)post #3798 of 578310/17/13 at 2:40pmpost #3799 of 578310/17/13 at 2:55pmpost #3800 of 578310/17/13 at 4:03pmQuote:i have ipod touch 5g, iphone 4, ipod touch4g(still one left) and definitely notice a difference when feeding th hifi-m8, very small though.Originally Posted by deadie
I have. Can't remember if I posted in earlier in this thread or the impressions thread, but I mentioned that the 5G Touch and 3G iPad both sound better to me vs. a 2 year old Classic, playing ALAC either on device or streamed over my network.
This also addresses the earlier poster who stated that the M8 sounded bland. I'd ask what source he's using, b/c I also thought my initial combo of M8 / Classic / UE10 was disappointing. I've since improved other components of that chain -- now M8 / 5G Touch / UERM with balanced cables -- and I love this combination.
The M8 scaled up well, so it was not the singular weak link in my original chain, and now has great synergy with my current components.
That said, the M8 remains much darker vs. other livelier DACs such as the Microstreamer and Dragonfly. But those obviously lack the M8's sheer power, producing very dynamic, satisfying, grinning sound in my IEMs.
But as you point out it can be the difference between blandness and a great sound.
Hmm inalso have an old iphone 3g some where and my wifes iphone 4s i might give them a whirl. Also i would like to try a classic.
Ipod touch 5g best i have tried so far.post #3801 of 578310/17/13 at 4:29pm
Owners of HD800 and/or LCD-2,
Do you guys notice any significant improvements over the balanced out of M8 versus the single ended? I'm wondering if it merits investing a different set of cables with balanced termination for these two headphones in particular.post #3802 of 578310/17/13 at 5:11pmQuote:
It isn't precisely easy to swap back and forth between the two, but I want to say that I get a bit better separation and ambiance with the balanced out using my HD800s. Sounds a bit punchier, too. I notice it on my Momentums as well. It is subtle, though.post #3803 of 578310/17/13 at 5:31pmpost #3804 of 578310/17/13 at 5:44pmpost #3805 of 578310/17/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
Me neither. Mine was supposed to ship Wednesday as well.post #3806 of 578310/17/13 at 7:06pmQuote:
I spoke too soon. Just received an email from Kenny saying that my M8 has been shipped. Looking forward to checking this thing out first-hand. Hope you guys receive similar news soon.post #3807 of 578310/17/13 at 7:06pm
Scratch that, Kenny just emailed me with a tracking number. Apparently the tracking order was initiated on Wednesday, so it looks like they are running on schedule. Hope everyone else gets their tracking number as well.
Should arrive Monday. Can't wait.post #3808 of 578310/17/13 at 7:23pmQuote:
Like FraGGLeR I didn't notice a significant difference balanced / single ended though there seems to be a slight advantage to running balanced. The caveat is that it's hard to do a back to back comparison, and I haven't be willing to do the work for a blind A/B comparison. I also have little motivation since my HD800 is already balanced for my GS-Xmk2 to it's easier for me to stay balanced.
--Markpost #3809 of 578310/17/13 at 8:56pmI used M8 paired with T1 with balanced cable and I can definitely distinguish a difference. May not be obvious on some tracks but if I play Nirvana songs I can definitely hear a wider soundstage for balanced.
Also volume appears to be better in balanced making the bass a tiny bit punchier but not much compared to single ended.
I use M8 on the desk and on the go. I've been trying to duplicate the same effect with T1 on the desk when I'm on the go with iems (mostly with H-200) but getting a balanced cable on my IEM is not as easy as I thought.
Soon as my JH16PRO arrives I believe there are many custom cable options for this ciem I will definitely try it balanced with M8.
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp 2 seconds ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 10 seconds ago
- › Where to start? 29 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-7200 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 1 minute ago
- › best tablet for audio? 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear