Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 246

post #3676 of 4632

Some other advantages of the iDevice M8 over the LX M8 when used with iPhones/iPods: 

 

1)  The iDevice version should (does? I think it is a standard configuration for some already) work with the iPod Classic, as well as with older iPods that run iOS but not the latest iOS 7 like the Touch 3rd and 4th generations.  Legacy device support may be important to some.

 

2)  The iDevice version is designed to work with iDevices..  If for some reason your LX M8 doesn't work with your iDevice and CCK or Lightning-to-USB, Apple probably won't help, and I think it is a bit much to ask Michael at Centrance to help as he has a dedicated solution for you already available.  You take a chance that something about your setup does not work with no recourse should it not work.

 

I think the second point is a little different than the issue of Apple pulling CCK compatibility away from iPhones in a future update.  We don't know exactly what is compatible, nor is there any simple way to test all the possibilities.  I've already experienced some DACs playing nicely with the iPhone, iOS 7 and CCK and some not, and the dependence is with differing sample rates. 

post #3677 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuceka View Post
 

Has anyone gotten any external/portable batteries to charge M8 on the go? I'd appreciate some recommendations as the stock charging cable is quite bulky to lug around. 

 

I use energizer XP8000 battery pack, very convenient and charges all kinds of gadgets.

post #3678 of 4632

I know this is far off-topic,

but I wanted to thank you guys here for pointing out that w/ iOS7 on my iPad2 + CCK

I can use my ALO International!!!

 

Fantastic...

 

now, back to HiFi-M8 stuff...

post #3679 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

 

I didn't know that the AK120 did DSD conversion.  Thanks.  So for the people who don't use DSD on a portable, the M8 and iDevices are an ideal pairing.

 

I'm waiting for M8's DSD upgrade. :D

post #3680 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
 

 

I'm waiting for M8's DSD upgrade. :D

 

You don't have to, just find something that can decode DSD into PCM and pass it to toslink to the M8 LX.

post #3681 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

 

You don't have to, just find something that can decode DSD into PCM and pass it to toslink to the M8 LX.

 

Thanks for your suggestion. I have Audirvana Plus on my Mac to do DSD conversions. I'm just waiting for something CEntrance to be DSD able!

post #3682 of 4632
On OS7.02 at the moment for one of my idevices.

It works with the hifi-m8 and the volume bar still isnt visible (flacplayer app).
post #3683 of 4632
Are they any new updates regarding shipping?
post #3684 of 4632

I got a shipment update and tracker ID last night. I preordered in December. I'll be in a cabin in the middle of nowhere all weekend so  I won't be able to pick it up, but still, excitement!


Edited by NorthernAvengeR - 10/4/13 at 4:25am
post #3685 of 4632

I was looking for a smaller charger that would still provide enough current for the M8, but for the life of me, I can't find the post where Michael talked about minimum requirements for a charger (ie minimum voltage and current to keep the m8 going indefinitely).  I did some searches, but nothing came up.  Went through the blog, too.

 

At any rate, if Michael is watching, would this charger do?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-052

post #3686 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

I was looking for a smaller charger that would still provide enough current for the M8, but for the life of me, I can't find the post where Michael talked about minimum requirements for a charger (ie minimum voltage and current to keep the m8 going indefinitely).  I did some searches, but nothing came up.  Went through the blog, too.

 

At any rate, if Michael is watching, would this charger do?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-052

 

That should be good.  I've been using this

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHOSJ6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

which is rated at the same power, and it's been fine.

post #3687 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

I was looking for a smaller charger that would still provide enough current for the M8, but for the life of me, I can't find the post where Michael talked about minimum requirements for a charger (ie minimum voltage and current to keep the m8 going indefinitely).  I did some searches, but nothing came up.  Went through the blog, too.

 

At any rate, if Michael is watching, would this charger do?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-052

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbes View Post
 

 

That should be good.  I've been using this

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHOSJ6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

which is rated at the same power, and it's been fine.

Been curious on the same subject. @barbes, are you using just to charge?  Or actually, I think the M8 runs off battery, even when plugged in, and the charger just charges the battery?  Trying to get my arms around the CEntrance supplied 19V charger vs. these 12V chargers.  If they charge the battery, even more slowly, they would be ideal for travel, though maybe not as good for a quick recharge on layover between flights.  Has anyone found a 19V charger that is more compact, or does the voltage of the charger really matter?

post #3688 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

 

 

Been curious on the same subject. @barbes, are you using just to charge?  Or actually, I think the M8 runs off battery, even when plugged in, and the charger just charges the battery?  Trying to get my arms around the CEntrance supplied 19V charger vs. these 12V chargers.  If they charge the battery, even more slowly, they would be ideal for travel, though maybe not as good for a quick recharge on layover between flights.  Has anyone found a 19V charger that is more compact, or does the voltage of the charger really matter?

 

Just about anything with more voltage or more current moves to the same form factor that the M8s charger has.  You might have something that is a tiny bit different in shape or slightly smaller, but I haven't found anything yet that is significant enough to make a difference.  I don't think the more compact chargers will be able to keep both iPad and M8 fully charged.   

post #3689 of 4632

I ordered December 10, 2012.  Due to arrive October 9, 2013.

post #3690 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

 

Just about anything with more voltage or more current moves to the same form factor that the M8s charger has.  You might have something that is a tiny bit different in shape or slightly smaller, but I haven't found anything yet that is significant enough to make a difference.  I don't think the more compact chargers will be able to keep both iPad and M8 fully charged.   

That would be acceptable.  My sessions are generally short.  When traveling, recharging at night is acceptable.  I'll never completely drain the battery, and a charged ipod/ipad well outlasts the M8 battery.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread