- 3,824 Posts. Joined 11/2007
- Location: SF Bay / Sacramento Area, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 1/10/17 at 7:24am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 242post #3616 of 57919/22/13 at 7:56pmI went round a bit - RSA or 4 pin. In the end decided 4 pin XLR is the current standard. I think most balanced headphones and cables on the used market will be 4 pin XLR. That assumption and the robustness of the 4 pin XLR made my decision for me.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3617 of 57919/22/13 at 8:20pmpost #3618 of 57919/22/13 at 9:13pm
Although I have no personal experience with the rsa and mini xlr connectors. the mini xlr's look so much more appealing to me, and hopefully one day they will be the standard used for balanced headphones...
Edited by wormsdriver - 9/22/13 at 10:13pmpost #3619 of 57919/22/13 at 9:47pmMy take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).
Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.post #3620 of 57919/22/13 at 10:21pmpost #3621 of 57919/22/13 at 10:28pmpost #3622 of 57919/22/13 at 11:48pmQuote:
RSA is weak? I am not sure about it. I didn't use one yet, but the connector seems quite durable actually.
Anyone have any problems with that?
I find XLR is way too big for c/iem users honestly.post #3623 of 57919/22/13 at 11:58pm
I was tossing up the same question. But as earlier posters said it seems like XL4 is the standard for most headphones (the ones I want anyway) so it made more sense to go with that.
But yeah I'd also prefer a single 4-pin mini XLR to either current option
Quote:Originally Posted by kkcc
My take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).
Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.
If you need an adapter you could make one for about $30 in parts (gold plated neutrik + Canare L4E6S).. that's what i'd do anyway :)post #3624 of 57919/23/13 at 1:43ampost #3625 of 57919/23/13 at 1:46amQuote:
It's technically possible but kinda pointless on the M8.
The wiring would be the same as a 1/4" plug: http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/11/balanced-to-single-ended-heaphone.html
But it's an unbalanced signal so you might as well use the SE output of the M8post #3626 of 57919/23/13 at 2:45amQuote:
My CLAS-db/Rx Mk3 stack is full of RSA connectors. Not even a remote issue with them. These connectors were first developed for pro photography, so I'm not too worried...post #3627 of 57919/23/13 at 2:51amQuote:
Ray Samuels would pop a blood vessel if he saw that. He is strongly against those, because he believes they would short his portable amps. Most likely unique to his stuff, but still worth noting...post #3628 of 57919/23/13 at 3:01amI think u can make adapter to convert from rsa to 3.5mm SE, but never the other way around.
I use rsa to 3.5mm adapter before with no issue...post #3629 of 57919/23/13 at 4:24amQuote:
To quote Ray's page on his new F-35 Lightning amp, which is balanced output only:
The F-35 comes with ONLY balanced output connector. It has no 3.5 mm SE output. NEVER EVER short the balanced output pins to create a single ended output. Using an adapter to convert the balanced output plug to single ended plug will over heat the buffers and burn the output stage. This act will NOT be covered under warranty. The F-35 should ONLY be used as balanced output."
Again, I don't have the technical expertise. But I tend to trust what Ray puts out there....post #3630 of 57919/23/13 at 4:32amI think what he meant was a "single ended female to rsa male adapter" which doesnt exist unless diy
Warning people who r lazy to rewire their cables with rsa jack
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 20 seconds ago
- › Single sided open over-ear recommendation needed 32 seconds ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone! 1 minute ago
- › Philadelphia Area Meet, January 29, 2017 - NO Football that weekend! 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear