- 3,834 Posts. Joined 11/2007
- Location: SF Bay / Sacramento Area, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread Last post on 1/10/17 at 7:24am in Portable Source Gear
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 242post #3616 of 58219/22/13 at 7:56pmI went round a bit - RSA or 4 pin. In the end decided 4 pin XLR is the current standard. I think most balanced headphones and cables on the used market will be 4 pin XLR. That assumption and the robustness of the 4 pin XLR made my decision for me.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3617 of 58219/22/13 at 8:20pmpost #3618 of 58219/22/13 at 9:13pm
Although I have no personal experience with the rsa and mini xlr connectors. the mini xlr's look so much more appealing to me, and hopefully one day they will be the standard used for balanced headphones...
Edited by wormsdriver - 9/22/13 at 10:13pmpost #3619 of 58219/22/13 at 9:47pmMy take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).
Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.post #3620 of 58219/22/13 at 10:21pmpost #3621 of 58219/22/13 at 10:28pmpost #3622 of 58219/22/13 at 11:48pmQuote:
RSA is weak? I am not sure about it. I didn't use one yet, but the connector seems quite durable actually.
Anyone have any problems with that?
I find XLR is way too big for c/iem users honestly.post #3623 of 58219/22/13 at 11:58pm
I was tossing up the same question. But as earlier posters said it seems like XL4 is the standard for most headphones (the ones I want anyway) so it made more sense to go with that.
But yeah I'd also prefer a single 4-pin mini XLR to either current option
Quote:Originally Posted by kkcc
My take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).
Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.
If you need an adapter you could make one for about $30 in parts (gold plated neutrik + Canare L4E6S).. that's what i'd do anyway :)post #3624 of 58219/23/13 at 1:43ampost #3625 of 58219/23/13 at 1:46amQuote:
It's technically possible but kinda pointless on the M8.
The wiring would be the same as a 1/4" plug: http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/11/balanced-to-single-ended-heaphone.html
But it's an unbalanced signal so you might as well use the SE output of the M8post #3626 of 58219/23/13 at 2:45amQuote:
My CLAS-db/Rx Mk3 stack is full of RSA connectors. Not even a remote issue with them. These connectors were first developed for pro photography, so I'm not too worried...post #3627 of 58219/23/13 at 2:51amQuote:
Ray Samuels would pop a blood vessel if he saw that. He is strongly against those, because he believes they would short his portable amps. Most likely unique to his stuff, but still worth noting...post #3628 of 58219/23/13 at 3:01amI think u can make adapter to convert from rsa to 3.5mm SE, but never the other way around.
I use rsa to 3.5mm adapter before with no issue...post #3629 of 58219/23/13 at 4:24amQuote:
To quote Ray's page on his new F-35 Lightning amp, which is balanced output only:
The F-35 comes with ONLY balanced output connector. It has no 3.5 mm SE output. NEVER EVER short the balanced output pins to create a single ended output. Using an adapter to convert the balanced output plug to single ended plug will over heat the buffers and burn the output stage. This act will NOT be covered under warranty. The F-35 should ONLY be used as balanced output."
Again, I don't have the technical expertise. But I tend to trust what Ray puts out there....post #3630 of 58219/23/13 at 4:32amI think what he meant was a "single ended female to rsa male adapter" which doesnt exist unless diy
Warning people who r lazy to rewire their cables with rsa jack
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 8 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 32 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Ve asura 2 balanced 2.5trrs 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 1 minute ago
- › AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T51i 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Asgard Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear