Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 235

post #3511 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

Well, I only set the base/treble switches at default 1 position when listening to my music. I just want to hear the effects of changing the tone switches. I never set the switch in-between positions while listening casually to my music. I'm just saying there is only an obvious change in sound when the switch is in between position while traveling from 2 to 3. Since, I don't hear any difference in the exact 2 and 3 positions, it made me think the switch is broken. Hence, the reason I brought it up here.

 

Same here. I was not trying to set the switches between positions. Like you, I noticed an obvious change in sound only when the switch was set between positions. The switches, at least the treble tone switch, felt loose when properly set into any of the 3 stops - it would "wiggle" a little bit from side to side. I assumed this might be a faulty switch, thus my question and decision to send my M8 in for a check up.

 

I was not trying to bash the M8. I love the sound. As an "early adopter-beta tester," I thought pointing out a potential problem was part of the "job description." 

 

Kenny replaced the switch and gave my M8 a clean bill of health. My M8 and Dacmini (blown resistor on the right RCA OUT) will be delivered, today. That is fast service!

 

Thank you Kenny, Michael, and Centrance for great products at reasonable prices, and for terrific customer service with a smile.

post #3512 of 4653
I cycled the switches back and forth a couple dozen times, and they pretty much quit sticking between positions. They either freed up, or I learned "the touch" from doing so. I also love mine. mikemercer - funny, I quite being jealous once got mine...

Went to see Adam Ant @ the Regency in SF last night, reliving my wife's teen years with her. My ears are ringing. No headphones for me for a couple of days.
post #3513 of 4653
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/09/13/f13-sale/

Folks, you get 13% off on everything in the Centrance web store, including M8!
It's Today only...
post #3514 of 4653
Ouch.
post #3515 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

I cycled the switches back and forth a couple dozen times, and they pretty much quit sticking between positions. They either freed up, or I learned "the touch" from doing so. I also love mine. mikemercer - funny, I quite being jealous once got mine...

Went to see Adam Ant @ the Regency in SF last night, reliving my wife's teen years with her. My ears are ringing. No headphones for me for a couple of days.

Glad to hear the jealousy evaporated into listening pleasure!

My review's goin live in Part-Time Audiophile tomorrow morning!

Sincerely hope you dig it brotha

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post
 

 

Same here. I was not trying to set the switches between positions. Like you, I noticed an obvious change in sound only when the switch was set between positions. The switches, at least the treble tone switch, felt loose when properly set into any of the 3 stops - it would "wiggle" a little bit from side to side. I assumed this might be a faulty switch, thus my question and decision to send my M8 in for a check up.

 

I was not trying to bash the M8. I love the sound. As an "early adopter-beta tester," I thought pointing out a potential problem was part of the "job description." 

 

Kenny replaced the switch and gave my M8 a clean bill of health. My M8 and Dacmini (blown resistor on the right RCA OUT) will be delivered, today. That is fast service!

 

Thank you Kenny, Michael, and Centrance for great products at reasonable prices, and for terrific customer service with a smile.

I didn't think you were trying to bash the M8 at ALL reading your post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

Well, I only set the base/treble switches at default 1 position when listening to my music. I just want to hear the effects of changing the tone switches. I never set the switch in-between positions while listening casually to my music. I'm just saying there is only an obvious change in sound when the switch is in between position while traveling from 2 to 3. Since, I don't hear any difference in the exact 2 and 3 positions, it made me think the switch is broken. Hence, the reason I brought it up here.

AH

got it!

 

is it better now?

If not be sure to s/w Michael or anyone on his team: Kenny or Stacie for example - both great people and on the ball

post #3516 of 4653

Still up cuz I'm hoping on a plane to LA in a couple hours...

 

and I just checked Part-Time Audiophile,

they got the review up already!!

 

They're on the East Coast

 

I'm PUMPED to share this with you guys, as I said before - I poured

my heart and soul into this:

 

CEntrance HiFi-M8: An Evolution in Portable Fidelity

 

I can't get enough of it, and it's coming with me on the plane!

That and my Mad Dogs.

 

 

Yours in Sound,

 

Michael Mercer

post #3517 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

Still up cuz I'm hoping on a plane to LA in a couple hours...

and I just checked Part-Time Audiophile,
they got the review up already!!

They're on the East Coast

I'm PUMPED to share this with you guys, as I said before - I poured
my heart and soul into this:

CEntrance HiFi-M8: An Evolution in Portable Fidelity




I can't get enough of it, and it's coming with me on the plane!
That and my Mad Dogs.


Yours in Sound,

Michael Mercer

Great article Michael.

Quick question. Have you used the M8 with less esoteric (exotic?) mainstream headphones and been "almost" as enthralled? Background to the question is simply that my M8 paired with my Mad Dogs is a bit OTT here in the tropics. (no IEMs please)
post #3518 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


Great article Michael.

Quick question. Have you used the M8 with less esoteric (exotic?) mainstream headphones and been "almost" as enthralled? Background to the question is simply that my M8 paired with my Mad Dogs is a bit OTT here in the tropics. (no IEMs please)

 

thanks George!!

I wholly appreciate the kind words.

 

YES, perhaps I should've mentioned that I tried other cans too.  I just used the ones listed as primary references.

I love it w/ my Grado 125i's, 225i's, and Pioneer SE-A1000!!

 

I'm going to write another piece about the M8 for The Daily Swarm.  Since that audience are the music masses

I'm going to pair it with more reasonable headphones there for sure!!

 

Thanks again for reading!!

post #3519 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

thanks George!!
I wholly appreciate the kind words.

YES, perhaps I should've mentioned that I tried other cans too.  I just used the ones listed as primary references.
I love it w/ my Grado 125i's, 225i's, and Pioneer SE-A1000!!

I'm going to write another piece about the M8 for The Daily Swarm.  Since that audience are the music masses
I'm going to pair it with more reasonable headphones there for sure!!

Thanks again for reading!!

That's an interesting choice or choices. I shall try with my 325iS and SE-A1000, the latter which I tend to use for watching movies and is a really under-rated cheap headphone in my view.
post #3520 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


That's an interesting choice or choices. I shall try with my 325iS and SE-A1000, the latter which I tend to use for watching movies and is a really under-rated cheap headphone in my view.

 

I agree!

I love the SE-A1000 - and for the price now, whoosh!

Thanks to @warrenpchi for turning me onto that one

post #3521 of 4653

I'm on the waiting list since last year for the M8 (iDevice version).  

 

 

 

- Do we know if the M8 that are shipping now have the firmware that will support the 24/96 upgrade when the patch will be available ?

 

- Also, has someone tested it with a TH900 ? Is the synergy good with the Fostex ?   Mike :D ?

 

 

 

thanks

post #3522 of 4653
I would also like to know if 24/96 support will ship on new versions? If not can we update ourselves?
post #3523 of 4653

somebody posted great combo with TH900, looking forward to trying it too 

post #3524 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

I'm on the waiting list since last year for the M8 (iDevice version).  

 

 

 

- Do we know if the M8 that are shipping now have the firmware that will support the 24/96 upgrade when the patch will be available ?

 

- Also, has someone tested it with a TH900 ? Is the synergy good with the Fostex ?   Mike :D ?

 

 

 

thanks

 

I think what we are consistently seeing is that the M8 puts out detailed, smooth, clean sound, with ample power for most headphones.  I don't know what headphone wouldn't sound at least very good with the M8.  I also thought that the TH900s weren't that picky about source or amps when I had them.  Should be a good pairing :)

post #3525 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

is it better now?

If not be sure to s/w Michael or anyone on his team: Kenny or Stacie for example - both great people and on the ball

 

It's been awesome, I don't really intend to add color my music. I just want them to sound as the source. It was just curiosity for me to check those switches. Like I said the output impedance and the gain switch is more important to me and both are perfectly fine.

 

I just bought a Beyerdynamics T1 this morning after demoing it with my Hifi-m8. It has just enough juice to drive the T1. I have to set the gain switch to position 3 and volume knob at 3'oclock to get the T1 to the minimum listening level for me and still have some spare in the volume knob.

 

Unfortunately, my excitement was put on hold as the unit I got seems to have a problem. There is no sound coming out from the right can. I suppose it's just the cable since I got the bundle from Jaben with the balanced cable.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread