or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 220

post #3286 of 5768

sorry for the noob question, guys.. but how do you do 24/96 out of idevice (preferably flac)?

post #3287 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

sorry for the noob question, guys.. but how do you do 24/96 out of idevice (preferably flac)?


I don't have much knowledge but I think Rockboxed iDevices play flac. Still not sure about 24/96. Stock iDevice does play ALAC (lossless) but again, I am not sure about 24/96.

post #3288 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

sorry for the noob question, guys.. but how do you do 24/96 out of idevice (preferably flac)?

Not sure if it's possible yet. At least CEntrance is still working on it (IIRC, they managed to do 16/48 so far). The big idea is that the iDevice bypasses its onboard DAC and sends signal to an external one directly. The external DAC has to be Apple certified (the iM8 is).

Also, to my knowledge, to play FLACs you need either some alternative iOS player for iPhone or iPod Touch, or Rockbox for all the rest iPods. Bad news is Rockbox will downsample them to 16/44.

post #3289 of 5768

Apple products are compatible with WAV, aren't they? Surely a 24/96 WAV (PCM) file will be able to be streamed digitally to the Hifi-M8 when the firmware is finally upgraded? Or does the iDevice not like anything greater than 16/44.1 when you try and sync music off your computer?

 

That said, can ALAC handle 24/96 material as a container?

post #3290 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

sorry for the noob question, guys.. but how do you do 24/96 out of idevice (preferably flac)?

Plenty of free and paid Flac players on the App store.

post #3291 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

Apple products are compatible with WAV, aren't they? Surely a 24/96 WAV (PCM) file will be able to be streamed digitally to the Hifi-M8 when the firmware is finally upgraded? Or does the iDevice not like anything greater than 16/44.1 when you try and sync music off your computer?

That said, can ALAC handle 24/96 material as a container?
Alac works fine as a container for 24/96. I transcode HD Tracks 24/96 to Alac and it works fine.

I'm not sure about 24/96 from iDevices. I *think* that Apple needs to provide the capability to the iDevice via a future IOS update, AND Centrance needs to provide the capability to the HIFI-M8 in a future firmware update. I have every faith that Centrance will deliver on their end. I have less faith that Apple will ever care about high Res, unless the ITunes Store looses significant market share to hi res file sellers.

On a side note, I transcode my 24/96 down to 24/44.1 (I think. Might be 16/44.1) I can't hear the difference through my iBasso PB2/DB2 stack. I haven't tried through anything higher end than this though.
post #3292 of 5768

It sounds really complicated.... and the thought of going back to using idevice is already terrifying enough... its a cheap transport if it really works.
 

post #3293 of 5768
IDevice works for me. Cheap enough, and I don't seem to hear the difference between the 24/96 and 24/44.1 versions of a file, so 24/96 capability is less of an issue for me. Will still be nice once it's sorted, though.
post #3294 of 5768

Yeap, another iPod Classic noob here, I need answers.

 

So I can play lossless with IPC. It can be ALAC or WAV. There is a FLAC player app in the store but can it be installed on iPod Classic?

 

Also those ALAC and WAV, up to which bit rate/sample rate is supported?

 

I am digging so much because M8 is a game changer and I want to get one soon or late. I am trying to figure out which version. LX version needs DX100 (R10) or AK products. I am not fan of them. I like R10 but buying it in Europe is kind of gamble, I read many stories about device becoming a brick and I don't want to get into that trouble (Belgium-Japan shipping and all).

 

IHIFI960 on the other hand can't play 24/96 or 24/192.

 

Sorry for basic level questions but I have not touch any Apple products for so long and stopped following news about them, now I feel completely new to them.

post #3295 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
There is a FLAC player app in the store but can it be installed on iPod Classic?

 

Don't think it can. Rockbox it to play FLAC, but I'm not sure if the M8 can play it from there. Don't think any users have tried so far.

post #3296 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post

Don't think it can. Rockbox it to play FLAC, but I'm not sure if the M8 can play it from there. Don't think any users have tried so far.


RB downsample high res files so no good for me.

 

I still couldn't find a perfect dap to pair with M8. I find AK products are extremely overpriced so I am not gonna play their game but on the other hand there is not much choice. I am waiting for future DAPs. I wish JamesFiiO could put optical output to its new coming dap X5.

post #3297 of 5768

just got my HiFi-M8 today.

 

its CRAZY Good.

 

its a pity the included LOD-USB cable doesn't work.

 

switched it for a Fostex cable (for the HP-P1) and it worked fine.

post #3298 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrile View Post

its a pity the included LOD-USB cable doesn't work.

 

Seems to happened with a few of the LODs.

post #3299 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Seems to happened with a few of the LODs.

 

I walked into Jaben, auditioned it and bought it on the spot cos it was really good.

 

The guy there said that I'm not the only one with problems with the cable.

 

They're going to write CEntrance about it.

post #3300 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Yeap, another iPod Classic noob here, I need answers.

 

So I can play lossless with IPC. It can be ALAC or WAV. There is a FLAC player app in the store but can it be installed on iPod Classic?

 

Also those ALAC and WAV, up to which bit rate/sample rate is supported?

 

I am digging so much because M8 is a game changer and I want to get one soon or late. I am trying to figure out which version. LX version needs DX100 (R10) or AK products. I am not fan of them. I like R10 but buying it in Europe is kind of gamble, I read many stories about device becoming a brick and I don't want to get into that trouble (Belgium-Japan shipping and all).

 

IHIFI960 on the other hand can't play 24/96 or 24/192.

 

Sorry for basic level questions but I have not touch any Apple products for so long and stopped following news about them, now I feel completely new to them.

 

Your assumptions are quite spot on.  But, I'm not sure about WAV support in the Apple ecosystem.  Something else to keep an eye on is there are rumors of a 128gb iPod Touch, which would open up FLAC and streaming options, but would cost more and require a Lightning cable...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread