Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Centrance HiFi M8 thread - Page 208

post #3106 of 4632

Technical M8 question for Michael -

 

Regarding the 4 pin XLR output-

 

Is it safe to bridge pins #2 and #4 in a balanced 4 pin > single ended adapter cable? I know some balanced amps can be damaged by the two grounds being connected. So it's best to ask.

 

This would be to use the M8 with line out level setting to drive an external amplifier. I know the sensible thing to do would to be use the 1/8 or 1/4 output, which are already a three conductor configuraton, but I would prefer the robustness of the XLR connector in this application, if possible. 

 

Let me know if this is okay. Thanks!

post #3107 of 4632

Great video Jude!! It was presented beautifully. And it also validates a lot of my earlier impressions. This thing doesn't sound like a  portable device at all. It's a full desktop, battery powered,  desktop rig with excellent sound quality that fits in the palm of your hands. I've actually tried it as a dac only, and usb converter only as well. And the dac is really, really good. Beats my stage dac by a good margin, and caused me to sell my music streamer pro. As a usb converter, it made me realize just how long in the tooth my vlink is, wasn't even close.

 

There's been many products in the past that were feature rich, but those extra features most of the time resulted in a loss in overall sound quality. I was worried that this would be one of those products as well when I felt Michael was giving in to too many suggestions. But he really pulled it off and this product really shows his genius along with the rest of his team(have to give them credit too).

 

So congrats Michael on all of the recent publicity and the seemingly overwhelming number of orders. I guess all of the time and tons of money invested in this project is going to finally pay off.

post #3108 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Great video Jude!! It was presented beautifully. And it also validates a lot of my earlier impressions. This thing doesn't sound like a  portable device at all. It's a full desktop, battery powered,  desktop rig with excellent sound quality that fits in the palm of your hands. I've actually tried it as a dac only, and usb converter only as well. And the dac is really, really good. Beats my stage dac by a good margin, and caused me to sell my music streamer pro. As a usb converter, it made me realize just how long in the tooth my vlink is, wasn't even close.

 

There's been many products in the past that were feature rich, but those extra features most of the time resulted in a loss in overall sound quality. I was worried that this would be one of those products as well when I felt Michael was giving in to too many suggestions. But he really pulled it off and this product really shows his genius along with the rest of his team(have to give them credit too).

 

So congrats Michael on all of the recent publicity and the seemingly overwhelming number of orders. I guess all of the time and tons of money invested in this project is going to finally pay off.

HERE HERE!!

 

GREAT video, and I can't wait until tomorrow!

My HiFi-M8 is supposed to arrive.

 

The video only made me jones for it even more!!

The plan was always to make a devise that could serve multiple purposes,

and I knew Michael would pull it off!!

post #3109 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

Does anyone know where I could try one of these guys out in West LA?

Please PM me your location and phone number and I will see what we can do. 

post #3110 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Technical M8 question for Michael -

 

Regarding the 4 pin XLR output-

 

Is it safe to bridge pins #2 and #4 in a balanced 4 pin > single ended adapter cable? I know some balanced amps can be damaged by the two grounds being connected. So it's best to ask.

 

This would be to use the M8 with line out level setting to drive an external amplifier. I know the sensible thing to do would to be use the 1/8 or 1/4 output, which are already a three conductor configuraton, but I would prefer the robustness of the XLR connector in this application, if possible. 

 

Let me know if this is okay. Thanks!

No problem, you should be fine. We have protection from that sort of thing in there. Can you tell me more about the type of cable you are using? We have heard requests for that scenario previously.

post #3111 of 4632
No email from the lovely Stacie yet. Don't they know I'm jonesing? I'm not well. I just need a little bump, a little taste of HIFI-M8 and I'll be ok. Mostly I'm worked up cause mikemercer's getting his first. Ok not really. I just like to tease mikemercer. Plus I'm bored. And jonesing.
post #3112 of 4632

Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

 

I will relay the message.

post #3113 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

No problem, you should be fine. We have protection from that sort of thing in there. Can you tell me more about the type of cable you are using? We have heard requests for that scenario previously.

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. The cable would be a DIY adapter that I would make here at home. A 4 pin male XLR on the M8 side, the other end would be two RCA connectors. This would allow me to use the M8 as DAC/pre-amp to my desktop tube amp (Decware Taboo mkIII).

The two ground signals in the cable would still be separated but the other amp shares a common ground signal, so effectively "shorting" the M8's grounds together at the tube amp's input. Just making sure this wouldn't damage the M8. Thanks again for answering!

And of course a standard 1/8 mini male to RCA cable would do exactly the same job, but I just have to be difficult. wink.gif
Edited by thegrobe - 8/26/13 at 8:16pm
post #3114 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

 

I will relay the message.

 

I'm really excited and waiting mine to arrive, not to mention there are tons of people like me biggrin.gif

 

btw I ordered it from TTVJ audio. Are they receiving units from Centrance now? 

post #3115 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

I will relay the message.
Shucks, got the email, I'm stoked, I get to race mikemercer for fastest FedEx delivery! I feel bad you folks are still sending out emails and answering posts! Hard work is never done, that's for sure. I've always had great customer service from Centrance. Your fine reputation is earned and deserved. Please give Stacie an above and beyond award. Give one to yourself as well!
post #3116 of 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

 

I will relay the message.

Headamp always have a uploaded locked spreadsheet with updated shipping status of their preorders. That way people just have to refer to that list.

post #3117 of 4632
(Soon)....incoming!!!!


dypegyse.jpg

LOL.
post #3118 of 4632
4a5avepy.jpg

Heh heh. I made a few more gracious versions in a question and answer format too. A picture version of FAQs. Long delayed train ride.
post #3119 of 4632

CEntrance should probably have a nice flow chart for M8 selection. Jude's video was nice and thoughtful, but took so long to get there. Much better if he concentrated more on the other stuff like development and SQ.

post #3120 of 4632
OP/ first page updated.

ty2u6uhe.jpg

Firev1 and I updated the first post with basically a mirror of the first post from the Hifi-M8 /LX impressions thread.

Hopefully once Judes video hits this might cut down on the more basic questions that new interested parties need answering but might annoy the longer term Hifi-M8'ers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread