Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next?

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 

I've been using the LCD-2 rev2 with a Lyr (Lorenz tubes) and bifrost (recent) for about a year as my only real headphones. I've owned the HD800's in the past and really enjoyed them for the level of detail, soundstage, and space. I've kept the LCD-2 so long because they have great emotion, female vocals are fantastic, and the low end is very enjoyable. 

 

I'm ready for something new and have been out of the headfi loop for a bit. I see Denon has some new monstrosity coming out, an interesting release from Fostex, LCD-3, and even a HD800 isn't off my radar. I'm really looking for something that would be in between the HD800 and the LCD-2. Something that had the level of detail, space and staging of the HD800 but more low end impact and a bit more emotion, especially with vocals. A friend recommended the hifiMan 500 but I would love to here some additional feedback. I'm not really interested in changing out the amp and dac right now but if I find a headphone I really like I would not be opposed to building around it.

post #2 of 56

I would start with either a pair of Denon AH-D2000/D5000 or the HE-500.  Both sounded more fun with a tad more soundstage than the LCD-2/3.

 

You may want to look at getting some custom IEMs done.  The Jerry Harvey JH16 Pro would probably be my next move and is why I am recommending it to you.  It is going to be quite difficult to overcome the 16-drive beast that is the JH16 Pro.


Edited by NA Blur - 8/14/12 at 3:44pm
post #3 of 56
If you really like planar's sound you really should try HE-500 otherwise I would try T1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 56

Take it to the next level.. I've heard good things of the Taket H2+ headphones..

post #5 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

I would start with either a pair of Denon AH-D2000/D5000 or the HE-500.  Both sounded more fun with a tad more soundstage than the LCD-2/3.

 

You may want to look at getting some custom IEMs done.  The Jerry Harvey JH16 Pro would probably be my next move and is why I am recommending it to you.  It is going to be quite difficult to overcome the 16-drive beast that is the JH16 Pro.

I've owned the D5000 and D7000 and would have to disagree as they sound fairly messy compared to the LCD-2 IMO. I'm not interested in IEM's at the moment, I've had customs before and while they are great I have no need for them at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

If you really like planar's sound you really should try HE-500 otherwise I would try T1
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It seemed like the T1 never got much love when the HD800, T1, and LCD-2 all hit the market but I did enjoy the DT880's ok.. guess I need to borrow a pair from someone here beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecourier View Post

Take it to the next level.. I've heard good things of the Taket H2+ headphones..

I have too but that is a big leap for a blind buy, I'd rather look at something that is easier for me to understand where it rests sonically when compared to the HD800 and LCD-2.

post #6 of 56
I have almost the same set up as you I am really intrigued by the TH 900 because I love my denons so much. I honestly find myself using the lyr for my krks more than my lcd2 simply because I mostly like listening to headphone while laying down and I just love the denons for my music preferences ( edm). If those fostex's were say $1500 or lower I would have already pulled the trigger. But I'm just blabbering on the lyr is too powerful of an amp and probably has bad synergy with those.
post #7 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronan2 View Post

I have almost the same set up as you I am really intrigued by the TH 900 because I love my denons so much. I honestly find myself using the lyr for my krks more than my lcd2 simply because I mostly like listening to headphone while laying down and I just love the denons for my music preferences ( edm). If those fostex's were say $1500 or lower I would have already pulled the trigger. But I'm just blabbering on the lyr is too powerful of an amp and probably has bad synergy with those.

I'm very intrigued by those as well but if the mids are recessed that is a deal killer. I liked my D7000 pretty well but after listening to the LCD-2 and going to the D7000 they sounded very muddy. The HD800 would be fantastic if it had just a bit more mid range body and more low end impact.

post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74 View Post

I'm very intrigued by those as well but if the mids are recessed that is a deal killer. I liked my D7000 pretty well but after listening to the LCD-2 and going to the D7000 they sounded very muddy. The HD800 would be fantastic if it had just a bit more mid range body and more low end impact.

That sounds like a T1 to me biggrin.gif. In all honesty though, I am vastly preferring the T1, though I find the HD800 bass to be superior and I think it is the best bass I've heard to date, but the T1 is more enjoyable since it has more impact thats needed. And since it's more musical than the HD800 it's a joy to listen too.

post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatcsi View Post

That sounds like a T1 to me biggrin.gif. In all honesty though, I am vastly preferring the T1, though I find the HD800 bass to be superior and I think it is the best bass I've heard to date, but the T1 is more enjoyable since it has more impact thats needed. And since it's more musical than the HD800 it's a joy to listen too.


I almost agree with you but i prefer T1's bass over D7000 and HD800

post #10 of 56
I don't know man everyone told me id sell my denons once I got the lcd 2's, but I still use them so much. I don't find the bass muddy, I just think the emphasis with sub bass isn't for everyone. To me the Lcd 2 is a mids machine, thats the biggest advantage over the denons. I just like headphones that aren't high maintenance, that don't need crazy power or specific amplification to get rockin and sound at their optimal performance. That's why the denons are still my go to headphone, and I'm contemplating those fostex if I ever decidemake poor financial decisions.
Edited by jronan2 - 8/14/12 at 7:39pm
post #11 of 56
I had the HD800 before the LCD-2. Ended up selling the LCD-2 twice... everyone is different.
post #12 of 56

I heard LCD2 twice at the meets and never heard anything special. Yes I also heard LCD3 and consider them to be better than LCD2 and T1 or D7000 but that difference is worth LCD3's price

post #13 of 56

GS1000i? Sound stage, highly resolving, bass is there, not tried the HD800 (yet) but from what I've read the GS1000i will be more engaging to listen to. Seems to tick some boxes for you.


Edited by NZtechfreak - 8/14/12 at 7:53pm
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

If you really like planar's sound you really should try HE-500 otherwise I would try T1
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

 

Since you are using the Lyr, I should put in my .02$.

I never thought my T1's sounded that good coming out of my Lyr. This was proved with the Burson Soloist I recently bought. The sound really comes alive on the T1.

However, the HE-500 does sound excellent with the Lyr.

The Lyr is a good amp, just doesn't work as well with the T1.

post #15 of 56

I don't own or ever heard any headphones with Lyr yet so can't comment but I heard HE-500 with EF-6 and they had overpowering bass plus heard them with O2, CTH and veryexpensive 2pcs Woo Audio amp and they had not enough sub-bass for me and I heard T1 with the amps above except EF-6 and they sounded great and as before better than HD800 for me

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next?