or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/) - Page 13

post #181 of 277
buggiest forum ever
post #182 of 277

Amazing how things have changed. I had my HP2's drivers replaced by Joe in maybe 2006 and he did it over the weekend. I got Flat Pads when they didn't exist.

 

Sad how it's turned out.

 

 

Mitch

post #183 of 277

So sad to read this. Why is he, on his last days of his life trying to get that much money out of people pockets ?

post #184 of 277

I was thinking the same thing.  Well, I heard that he's aware of the SR-009 and the Abyss and is aware of their prices.  He mentioned that he's heard some multi-thousand dollar headphones and they sounded like crap to him-- nothing like his improved HP1000s.  He kept mentioning on how his headphones would go for $3000-$5000 dollars on ebay. He can price his upgrades whatever price he wanted to.  That's no problem to me as long as he informs people before hand how much the final total will be.  I'll be in touch with him from time to time and hopefully his mind will clear up.


Edited by tamahome77 - 3/23/14 at 5:56pm
post #185 of 277
Thread Starter 

Was your HP 1000's headband previously DIY repaired or something (that made it different from say a stock HP 1000 headband)?

 

Joe told him 40-50 dollars for a ~30 minutes estimated replacement job... I mean if he replaced it with a newer condition headband I would consider it a decent price because this is real leather unlike what current Grado is using. Also he seems to like to treat things with oils and products, my NOS pair's headband didn't deserve any special treatment but he might have reconditioned your leather.

 

Then, something bad happened or he messed up, got frustrated, and ended up spending X number of hours instead of the minutes he had envisioned in his schedule. I don't know where those seemingly insane numbers (more than doubling the price of the upgrade) are coming from. If only he wasn't so secretive about the upgrade, “spicing” it up.

 

My pair (and I saw others' photos with the same defect) came back with (very) small dings near the 6 hexagonal screws area, due to the tool he used to tighten the screws (a bizarre drill set to a specific torque?). For the price you're paying I think you should expect your pair to return in visibly better condition than you last saw it. I don't think he babies, but more manipulate with adequate muscle memory the headphones. I was a bit afraid something would happen to the 100% lettering of my pair but it was still 100%, and I feel the need to mention that I received my very same headphone and parts, drivers, etc. (it wasn't mixed up with someone else's pair or had any parts replaced as there was no need). He was surprised how much less than the Pope I had paid for a HP 1000 in this condition, when came time to insure that amount for the shipping. I confirm Joe is aware of the prices mint HP 1000 are going over for on eBay.

 

Phone communication with Joe seems to be getting more difficult only since I made this thread summer 2012. I recall that my experience with him was without a hitch, and that I had to repeat myself only when telling him numbers, and that's considering I can type-input English but ever only spoke French in my corner of Canada (so I have a certain accent and uncomfort).

 

Of course years are passing, and the older you get the more relative perception of time compresses...


Edited by devouringone3 - 3/24/14 at 1:08am
post #186 of 277

I subscribe auctions, the maximum was $2000 - $2500

That's no reason to explore the people, the sound quality is the price?

post #187 of 277

Sorry to hear about all your problems. That does sound like a nightmare scenario. 

 

He needs to retire and just enjoy his later years. I don't know why he's all about money at that age. 

post #188 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome77 View Post
 

I was thinking the same thing.  Well, I heard that he's aware of the SR-009 and the Abyss and is aware of their prices.  He mentioned that he's heard some multi-thousand dollar headphones and they sounded like crap to him-- nothing like his improved HP1000s.  He kept mentioning on how his headphones would go for $3000-$5000 dollars on ebay. He can price his upgrades whatever price he wanted to.  That's no problem to me as long as he informs people before hand how much the final total will be.  I'll be in touch with him from time to time and hopefully his mind will clear up.

 

LOL.  HP-1000's are great no doubt but they don't decimate by any means today's "big boy" headphones.  I'd be curious to know what he heard and why he thought that!  In all honesty I paid a hefty sum for my well cared for HP-2's from a good friend; part of the reason why I don't think I'll ever let them go is that I doubt I would get my money back - not that I feel they are a better value than even say a Stax O2Mk1.  The secondary market for headphones and ancillaries is not what it used to be IMO; buyers are demanding more bang for their buck and willing to spend less and less for quality gear.  What I see is that those still paying crazy prices are the exception rather than the rule and often times it takes time and patience to find the right buyer these days.

 

It's not fair to you but at least those of us who see this thread will know to steer clear of JG moving forward... for once I am hoping the Head-Fi bubble is bigger in influence than I might assume.

post #189 of 277

If Joe is aware of how much his beloved HP1000 are selling for these days, he might feel insulted if he found out that I only paid $350 for my mint pair of HP1000.

post #190 of 277

^ I'm insulted :p

post #191 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

If Joe is aware of how much his beloved HP1000 are selling for these days, he might feel insulted if he found out that I only paid $350 for my mint pair of HP1000.

 

And I thought I got a heck of a good deal for my HP1 at 860 dollars...

post #192 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Drummond View Post
 

 

And I thought I got a heck of a good deal for my HP1 at 860 dollars...

 

You did get a very good deal.

 

To this day, I still can't believe that I was able to buy a mint pair of HP1000, from an autorized Grado dealer. Poor bastards, it's clear that they weren't aware of how rare and valuable these were.

 

Funny thing is, neither did I, plus, I had went there to buy a new cartridge and a felt mat for my turntable, so I wasn't even shopping for headphones, I was very happy with my GS1000. They were on the bottom shelf of a glass showcase among the new Grados, they seemed very well built, so I asked if I could listen to them, and a few minutes later, I picked my jaw back up from the floor!, asked for the price, and the rest is history.

 

It's only when I got home, and did a little research, that I found out, that I unknowingly, strucked the deal of the century.

 

And in all the comotion, I forgot all about the felt mat, so I went back the next day, and informed the salesman of my findings regarding the HP1000, the look on his face was priceless.

post #193 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

 

You did get a very good deal.

 

To this day, I still can't believe that I was able to buy a mint pair of HP1000, from an autorized Grado dealer. Poor bastards, it's clear that they weren't aware of how rare and valuable these were.

 

Funny thing is, neither did I, plus, I had went there to buy a new cartridge and a felt mat for my turntable, so I wasn't even shopping for headphones, I was very happy with my GS1000. They were on the bottom shelf of a glass showcase among the new Grados, they seemed very well built, so I asked if I could listen to them, and a few minutes later, I picked my jaw back up from the floor!, asked for the price, and the rest is history.

 

It's only when I got home, and did a little research, that I found out, that I unknowingly, strucked the deal of the century.

 

And in all the comotion, I forgot all about the felt mat, so I went back the next day, and informed the salesman of my findings regarding the HP1000, the look on his face was priceless.

 

This is unbelieavably lucky!

 

There have been a few interesting stories like this around here recently, though. There was someone – maybe even on this topic, I don't know – who got an HP1000 for dirt cheap in those garage sales when someone passes away, you know what I mean? I'm Brazilian so I'm not sure exactly what you call this.

 

Also there was a guy who got an R10 (!) from his deceased grandfather or something like this.

 

My HP1000 came out of the blue as well, in fact. As these are quite rare, many owners are known as they are on head-fi, and it's funny to find pairs where you least expect. I've got a review website and a Facebook profile for it, and once I got a message from a guy in Brazil asking me if there was a market for a HP1000 here in Brazil – I replied that I would buy it, of course. There were three known HP1000s in the country, and I never expected a fourth one, especially from someone that wasn't primarily into headphones. He got it from a friend who bought in America or something like that.

post #194 of 277

Interesting reading those stories. I wasn't as lucky on the price. I bought my original HP-2, and a couple of years later was contacted by a friend (headfier) who was going to sell his pair. I figured I'd buy it as a backup. The original pair I had was pretty rough looking, so when it came time to sell one of my two pair, I naturally decided to offload the original ones that looked rugged and keep the other set which was/is in good condition. 

 

The gentleman that bought my original pair from me did some research, and it turns out, that particular HP-2 had

been sent back to have brand new drivers installed right before I bought them. I had no idea. I would love to have that HP-2 back. It would be just nice knowing that I had brand new/fresh drivers (well NOS anyway). 

 

That being said, I'm really happy to just have a pair of HP-2s in general. There's really nothing quite as elegant as the sound they deliver. That and the K-1000s are my two top headphones. I'm hoping someone makes a new headphones that can capture the magic that either of those two do, but so far none have worked out for me. 

post #195 of 277

Yeah, include me in your "bought for crazy money" category.  First one I got for less than 2K, but my most recent pair cost me $2800 all told.  It is in great condition though, and this is the one headphone that actually satisfies me on a day-in, day-out basis.  They are not for putting on headphone stands and posting pictures in "Pics of your High End Headphones" threads.  They are for regular, awesome listening.  For people who like music.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)