- 1,895 Posts. Joined 12/2011
- Location: california
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD2000tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 9/17/12More
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-Lambda (Λ)tagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 5:20 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone has the most neutral tonal balance? (poll) Last post on 3/2/13 at 8:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cost-no-object cans Last post on 1/28/11 at 4:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 3/1/14 at 7:46pm in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? - Page 7post #91 of 29212/1/12 at 10:29amLOL madbull sr009 or Orpheus?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 29212/1/12 at 12:44pmpost #93 of 29212/1/12 at 6:58pmpost #94 of 29212/2/12 at 2:07ampost #95 of 29212/2/12 at 2:44amYep, I'm there. (Gear in my profile.) At least until better headphones come on the scene which they inevitably will. I'm not much of a stat person so I don't know if I'll ever go down that road (the only ones that I really enjoyed were the SR-Omega but were much too loose on the head and from what I was told are quite rare; they had superb imaging though.)post #96 of 29212/2/12 at 10:49amQuote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc
Lol. This thread started 4 months ago, and some that posted "totally satisfied with XX" now have vastly different cans in their rigs.
As for finding any kind of nirvana, there's a saying that goes "the only peace you find on the tops of mountains is that which you bring with you."
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself" – Galileopost #97 of 29212/2/12 at 11:01ampost #98 of 29212/2/12 at 2:51pmQuote:to my ears 009 is far superior than he90. And I'm not using the best amplification yet.
While I've yet to hear the 009's I have heard the Orpheus system many times and currently own an Aristaeus/HE90 rig and to my ears it mates much better with the HE90's than the HEV90 does. If you have the resources I recommend trying out the Aristaeus with upgraded tubes. It's helped me appreciate the strengths of the HE90's all the more. Not sure if I'll ever reach audio Nirvana but I am satisfied with what I have at the moment, although, I am looking forward to hearing the 009's and the next Sennheiser electrostat offering. Garypost #99 of 29212/2/12 at 3:02pmpost #100 of 29212/2/12 at 3:14pmQuote:
Love the photo...LOL..are those imported German Ge's on top?
I may have found a pair for you,....An old pair of Porta-Pros-------used....,missing one ear cushion
post #101 of 29212/2/12 at 3:17pm
I have, but it wouldn't help anybody because it wound up being a strange DIY odyssey and currently a one-off.
Stax 507 with home replaced mylar, now used with normal bias, Srpitzer mod Stax SRD 7 transformer box with home replaced Dyna Z565 new production transformers, Hogan amplifier, two unit, one unit tube rectified 6sn7 preamp connecting to 26/300b DHT tube rectified amplifier, probably one of just half a dozen such made by the late amp hobbyist. All butt ugly, but transcendant sound, better than anything I heard at last Headphone show.
Sound is utterly huge, fast, transparent, detailed, luxurious with bass that rivals my dynamic ultrasone Ed8.
Second honors: Manley 300b with Stax 7SB and Lambda original normal bias.
Third honors: Ultrasone Ed8 with either Manley 300b or Yamaha C70 solid state vintage preamp. Different flavors, both great. Don't know why more dynamic headphone fans don't use the Yamaha C70, cheap and really wonderful headphone amp.
Edited by cjfrbw - 12/2/12 at 3:21pmpost #102 of 29212/2/12 at 9:20pmI have, in fact i was in audio nirvana with my iPhone earbuds. I was happy and loving all my songs, until I discovered HF... like seriously. So thank you all very much for changing my world. I'm just not sure if I should celebrate or cry.. Lolpost #103 of 29212/2/12 at 11:50pmQuote:
your ears should celebrate while your wallet should cry lolpost #104 of 29212/9/12 at 12:16pm
Then I lost it & have been searching for it since.
It was probably the late 1980s, and I was somewhere between 18 and 22. I think it was the original Sony Discman and the accompanying cans at Paul & Tony's Stereo near campus in State College, Pennsylvania. I heard Papa Doo Run Run's "Good Vibrations" off the Telarc sampler...the first drum hit blew me away, and I listened to it over and over. Paul & Tony were very accommodating.
Priorities...I never bought it.
I've owned a lot of players, amps, and headphones since, but have yet to find a headphone playback chain that handles that drum hit as well as that particularly synergistic combination.
I have a few combinations here, though, that I still need to try. Ah, I didn't have anything else planned for today, did I?
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Great Modern Classical Recordings 30 seconds ago
- › $500 bedroom setup suggestions 1 minute ago
- › SUPERLUX HD-330 VS HD-668B ! Little Review. 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 2 minutes ago
- › Mr. Speaker Alpha Dog 3 minutes ago
- › Topping VX1... anybody try it yet? 3 minutes ago
- › First Post! KSC75 drivers.....in a HD555 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude