My wallets going to hate me.....
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD2000tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/17/12More
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productStax SR-Lambda (Λ)tagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 4/16/16 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone has the most neutral tonal balance? (poll) Last post on 3/2/13 at 8:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cost-no-object cans Last post on 1/28/11 at 4:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Disclaimer: I received this earphone for free from the manufacturers. I did my best not to let that color my opinion on the product, but my impressions may not be entirely without bias. Shozy...
Introduction: The Effect Audio is a Singapore brand that is known by some famous aftermarket cables. They offer Ares and Thor series headphone/IEM cables as well as Piccolino Ultimate and Eros...
Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? - Page 5post #61 of 3258/27/12 at 4:55am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 3258/27/12 at 6:18am
It was fantastic with all of BT's work. Morceau Subrosa is quickly becoming my favorite work of his (I've been practically A/Bing TBU and Morceau to decide on an all time favorite album). Seriously...at 8 minutes into that work (movement 2) it will blow your mind with the 009s. I had a fellow Head-fier come listen when I had the 009 + LL on loan and he said that with the HD800s you could position the birds perfectly but with the 009 you could tell exactly what bird they were. :DQuote:
Mine doesn't know what's coming yet. It just seems a huge number in my account right now and is super happy. But once it all lines up...BAM...it's screwed.post #63 of 3258/27/12 at 6:23amQuote:Originally Posted by MorbidToaster
It was fantastic with all of BT's work. Morceau Subrosa is quickly becoming my favorite work of his (I've been practically A/Bing TBU and Morceau to decide on an all time favorite album). Seriously...at 8 minutes into that work (movement 2) it will blow your mind with the 009s. I had a fellow Head-fier come listen when I had the 009 + LL on loan and he said that with the HD800s you could position the birds perfectly but with the 009 you could tell exactly what bird they were. :D
Oh goshh....... stop tempting me!!post #64 of 3258/27/12 at 6:54amQuote:
Great things often happen by accident. From now on when I explain why tubes are superior to solid state to a die hard measurements fan I simply say I like the euphoric distortion.
Maybe it will be easier for them to comprehend.post #65 of 3258/28/12 at 12:01ampost #66 of 3258/28/12 at 8:48ampost #67 of 3258/28/12 at 10:01pmpost #68 of 3258/29/12 at 8:07ampost #69 of 3258/29/12 at 6:35pmpost #70 of 3258/29/12 at 6:59pmCurrently my Nirvana lies at the ODAC + O2 + HD800
Nothing has matched up so far.
Bryston amp was too harsh/treble happy for the HD800 (which are already pretty bright)
EF6 was too soft/dull for the hd800 (hard to believe >.<)post #71 of 3258/29/12 at 10:23pmQuote:
And then you listen to the HD800 from a really good tube amp and figure out what you have been missing all along...post #72 of 3258/30/12 at 5:38amQuote:
I tried it with the WA22 at SSI this past march and I did really enjoy it. Whether I like it any more I don't think I can say that.post #73 of 3258/30/12 at 10:00amQuote:
What you get with a good tube amp is that amazing holographic soundstage and imaging plus a richer tone that complements the slightly sterile sound of a HD800 perfect. That sense of being there and feeling air move. No solid state amp I've tried have had that holographic property. I have not tried WA22 though. Heard its a great match with the T1.post #74 of 3258/30/12 at 2:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sweden
What you get with a good tube amp is that amazing holographic soundstage and imaging plus a richer tone that complements the slightly sterile sound of a HD800 perfect. That sense of being there and feeling air move. No solid state amp I've tried have had that holographic property. I have not tried WA22 though. Heard its a great match with the T1.
Sometimes I like my sterile sound though (sometimes) where I can just sit back and hear everything put forward.
Though of course, sometimes I wish I had a tube amp sitting next to my SS amp to switch between the 2 as I felt like it.post #75 of 3259/1/12 at 5:20amQuote:
I would have completely agreed with this comment, until recently. I'm a tube head through and through and wouldn't give up my SE 300B monoblocks in my main system for anything. However, my AMB Labs Beta 22 in my headphone rig has given me all the fantastic attributes of tube gear in spades with the added ability to drive the most difficult headphones with ease. I would have never believed that any SS amp could sound anything like this. Granted, this is allot more about synergy, the Beta seems to match very well with the magnetic planars, and your mileage may vary with something like the HD800.
Headphone nirvana, no way. That would mean we are at the end of the road, it's more about the journey than just a final destination.
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 26 seconds ago
- › iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Which headphone with replaceable cable are you using? 59 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › The Altmann Tera-Player - Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Good 3.5mm replacement for the Fostex locking angle cable / Mad Dog... 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 8 minutes ago
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by getclikinagas
- › Yulong U100 by Spork67
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...