- 5 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 8/29/12
- productDiamond External Xtreme Sound 7.1-Channel USB Audio Devicetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productGriffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macstagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- lost and seeking for help Last post on 3/19/13 at 11:12am in Headphones (full-size)
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
my iMac have S/PDIF output(mini Toslink) which is capable of output 5.1 as well as normal stereo 3.5mm output.
Yes I mainly use for movie watching with DVD or files in VIDEO_TS or mkv and sometimes listen to songs.
Your movie playback software *should* let you output AC-3 straight over the S/PDIF (TOSlink) output - you just need an external decoder. The ones you linked from Amazon should work, but they're likely to be extremely primitive; look for a theater decoder from the mid to late 1990s like the Technics SH-AC500D and go with that instead (it'll give you more configuration options); check Ebay.
Alright thanks a lot.
I think if I cant get the griffin one then I will go with this one.
Lets pray it actually works lol
The Griffin Firewave once drop to $30 but I miss the chance to buy it
Then I set up like this,
iMac -> optical digital output using mini Toslink -> the Xbox/ps3/ps2 DAC -> DAC output using 3 pairs of Y cable (2 RCA to a 3.5mm mini jack) and connect the to the back of the subwoofer of the speaker -> connect the other 6 satellite speakers from Subwoofer.
(so that i can control the volume of the whole set speaker via control on the subwoofer)
Is this setup correct and make real 5.1 surround sound finally?
Thanks again :)
You'll have to send a Dolby Digital signal out from the mac, which will be from a DVD or similar, for stereo music it will send out a stereo signal.
- 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 21 seconds ago
- › WTB: TH-900 55 seconds ago
- › FS: Sealed Refurbished UE600 Ultimate Ears Logitech UE600 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › A New Face In Search of Better Sound 2 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Grado 225i with Grado Adapter Free Shipping to CONUS 3 minutes ago
- › Upgraded amp + upgraded DAC + FLAC vs. lower end amp + lower end... 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)