- 5 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 8/29/12
- productDiamond External Xtreme Sound 7.1-Channel USB Audio Devicetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productGriffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macstagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- lost and seeking for help Last post on 3/19/13 at 11:12am in Headphones (full-size)
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
my iMac have S/PDIF output(mini Toslink) which is capable of output 5.1 as well as normal stereo 3.5mm output.
Yes I mainly use for movie watching with DVD or files in VIDEO_TS or mkv and sometimes listen to songs.
Your movie playback software *should* let you output AC-3 straight over the S/PDIF (TOSlink) output - you just need an external decoder. The ones you linked from Amazon should work, but they're likely to be extremely primitive; look for a theater decoder from the mid to late 1990s like the Technics SH-AC500D and go with that instead (it'll give you more configuration options); check Ebay.
Alright thanks a lot.
I think if I cant get the griffin one then I will go with this one.
Lets pray it actually works lol
The Griffin Firewave once drop to $30 but I miss the chance to buy it
Then I set up like this,
iMac -> optical digital output using mini Toslink -> the Xbox/ps3/ps2 DAC -> DAC output using 3 pairs of Y cable (2 RCA to a 3.5mm mini jack) and connect the to the back of the subwoofer of the speaker -> connect the other 6 satellite speakers from Subwoofer.
(so that i can control the volume of the whole set speaker via control on the subwoofer)
Is this setup correct and make real 5.1 surround sound finally?
Thanks again :)
You'll have to send a Dolby Digital signal out from the mac, which will be from a DVD or similar, for stereo music it will send out a stereo signal.
- 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 2359glenn | studio 6 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 9 seconds ago
- › Aune B1 Headphone AMP worldwide review tour --Reviewers Wanted! 30 seconds ago
- › Amp or Amp/DAC for Philips Fidelio X2? 35 seconds ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Battlefield 4 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2