- 5 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 8/29/12
- productDiamond External Xtreme Sound 7.1-Channel USB Audio Devicetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productGriffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macstagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- lost and seeking for help Last post on 3/19/13 at 11:12am in Headphones (full-size)
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
my iMac have S/PDIF output(mini Toslink) which is capable of output 5.1 as well as normal stereo 3.5mm output.
Yes I mainly use for movie watching with DVD or files in VIDEO_TS or mkv and sometimes listen to songs.
Your movie playback software *should* let you output AC-3 straight over the S/PDIF (TOSlink) output - you just need an external decoder. The ones you linked from Amazon should work, but they're likely to be extremely primitive; look for a theater decoder from the mid to late 1990s like the Technics SH-AC500D and go with that instead (it'll give you more configuration options); check Ebay.
Alright thanks a lot.
I think if I cant get the griffin one then I will go with this one.
Lets pray it actually works lol
The Griffin Firewave once drop to $30 but I miss the chance to buy it
Then I set up like this,
iMac -> optical digital output using mini Toslink -> the Xbox/ps3/ps2 DAC -> DAC output using 3 pairs of Y cable (2 RCA to a 3.5mm mini jack) and connect the to the back of the subwoofer of the speaker -> connect the other 6 satellite speakers from Subwoofer.
(so that i can control the volume of the whole set speaker via control on the subwoofer)
Is this setup correct and make real 5.1 surround sound finally?
Thanks again :)
You'll have to send a Dolby Digital signal out from the mac, which will be from a DVD or similar, for stereo music it will send out a stereo signal.
- 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Cheapest Amp to Drive HD600 31 seconds ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 1 minute ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A71 Dual Dynamic - Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 3 minutes ago
- › Aune S16 dac and headphone amp 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)