Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
MHDT Lab Stockholm Balanced DAC - Page 2post #16 of 248/31/12 at 8:47pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 2411/3/12 at 7:14ampost #18 of 2411/4/12 at 1:21amThread Starter
I sent it back to MHDT Labs and sold the Havana Balanced. I don't think either of these DACs are a good match for the McIntosh C2300, MC275 V combo. I also sold the McIntosh C2300. The Havana Balanced seems to have been a better match with the YS Audio Balanced A2SE preamp, but I can't say for sure since something in the YS Audio Preamp wasn't functioning properly. I did send it back to YS Audio where he said there is nothing wrong with the preamp, so it must have been the tubes. I told him, as long as he had the preamp opened up, please install new tubes. YS Audio also installed(at my request) russian JAN oil caps in the preamp. The preamp seems to be working okay except, every time I turn on my McIntosh MC275, it causes the relays in the preamp to "click" and the red light source indicator starts blinking.
Stevepost #19 of 2412/1/12 at 5:20am
Just found this thread ... thanks for your comments.
I'm a Stockholm user myself, and previously a Havana user. Both DACs mate very well with my particular rig.
That said, and as others have mentioned...it's very refreshing to hear some alternate opinions of these DACS. And although the gear didn't work well in your system, you nonetheless qualified in a way that made sense and very much explained specific reasons for why things didn't work.
Thanks again ... great comments ...
And I agree ... Juin and the rest of the MHDT folk are some of the most hospitable scene supporters (in regards to gear demos, etc.) that I've run in to ...
Also...a final word ... I agree with you 100% that the Stockholm is a tad more towards the lean side than the Havana but just barely (at least as perceptible in my particular system). I also hear this as a bit more emphasis on refined details and micro details. Further, the overall output of the Stockholm is slightly lower than that of the Havana ... upon first listen, this was a bit bothersome to me as, psychologically (psycho-aurally?) I had to get used to the extra notch of gain I needed to add at my amplifier volume to get the Stockholm to volume-match with the Havana (the latter having a slightly hotter/increased gain). Juin explained that this is simply a matter of the "core logic" (his words) of the Stockholm and totally normal.
Edited by s1rrah - 12/1/12 at 5:24ampost #20 of 2412/1/12 at 9:44pmThread Starterpost #21 of 2412/11/12 at 8:56ampost #22 of 2412/11/12 at 9:14amThread Starterpost #23 of 2412/11/12 at 10:32amQuote:The original Stockholm has only 1.1V output voltage which will cause some matching problem if the preamplifier has lesser impedance. The 2nd generation of the Stockholm will have 3.0V output voltage and increased current drive capacity.
Also, by many requests from all over the world, the 2nd generation of the Stockholm will be real no op-amp, and no feedback structure.
Stockholm est. release time: Jan, 2013
Balanced Stockholm est. release time: Mar, 2013
- MHDT Lab Stockholm Balanced DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 48 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 1 minute ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD600 and Schiit Asgard 2 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears unveils the new UE PRO 18+ 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear