I suppose it says it all. What I want to get are recommendations for a headphone amp, if possible the best amp and also some priceworthy ones. The headphone is Sennheiser HD600, which I am satisfied with, so the key is to find an amp that will play with these phones, as well as with my CD-player NAD 521BEE, and my turntable Rega P3-24. So I'm just hoping to get a clear idea what's what out of this thread. In order to make a balanced and successful purchase. As a sidenote I would also like some viewpoints about not purchasing a headphone amp at all. How much difference does it in fact make to play with a dedicated amp compared to a regular amp like the one I've been using up to now - NAD 320BEE? The NAD 320BEE has a quality headphone jacket by all accounts.
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Lyr or Valhalla for use with Titanium HD and HD 600's Last post on 7/17/12 at 6:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp for hd 650 Last post on 11/26/12 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed to get the most out of my Sennheiser HD600s Last post on 11/13/12 at 9:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 Best Amp Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Headphone Amp for Sennheiser HD600
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 38/12/12 at 8:19am
Since you already have that integrated amp, do you listen enough with headphones to want to really maximize them or just for nighttime listening? It's best if you listen to a good dedicated headamp to discern whether you really need to spend that much on top of your current system and it's not plain old GAS*.
That said, you could try:
1) Schiit Asgard : $249, pure Class A (vs the A/B NAD), and best of all I think they have a 30-day money back trial (read fine print on return shipping, repacking fees, etc)
2) Schiit Valhalla : $349, OTL tube class A (vs A/B SS NAD), optimized for high impedance headphones, same return policy
3) Little Dot MkII : under $199 I think; Class A OTL tube; was too dark for me save for absolutely brand new earpads (sources were Marantz CD80, which was too dark throughout, and Superpro707 DAC, which was dark with sharp treble) but you might like that
4) Also check out one-box DAC+Amp AudioGDs - use the digital input, then try it out as a headphone amp, as a DAC, and as a preamp into the poweramp input of the 320BEE.
*Gear Acquisition Syndrome; related to SARS or Severe Audio Replacement Syndrome, also known as upgraditis
- Headphone Amp for Sennheiser HD600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 25 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 51 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 51 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 58 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Introductions, Introductions 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Review: NuForce DAC-80 - replacement for the DAC-100 (same sound,... 1 minute ago
- › Is it possible to know the maximum db output of a pair of... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennhieser Momentum, AKG K702 Anniversary Edition ($340),... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)