Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Valhalla Problems! Someone Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Valhalla Problems! Someone Help! - Page 5  

post #61 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. You got a bum deal and have every right to be very angry. However, I think you're being a little unfair. Schiit isn't a bad company and Head-Fi isn't a bad place. You bought a broken used amp from a fraudulent seller. That's not the fault of Schiit or Head-Fi. In fact, you did get great advice here. People chimed in to help you, which goes to show what kind of a community we are.
You took your amp to a tech. What you should have done was follow the advice you received earlier. I said don't let this one bad break ruin your audio life. I then outlined a reaonable plan: Send it to Schiit to have them upgrade it to a Valhalla rev2 or to a well known amp builder here for a refurb. The fact your tech wasn't able to do anything isn't surprising and doesn't reflect bad on Schiit or Head-Fi. I'm far from a Schiit fanboy as I have been critical of them in the past, but I'm just trying to be fair here.

I understand what you mean, but when I emailed Jason, he said it would be very expensive to fix it ($199+). Whether it was to make it a Valhalla rev2 or fix it, Schiit would've charged me so much. There's nothing I can do now. 

post #62 of 104

Flat out Jason should have you send it in, review it, and replace what needs to replaced. This is the first sign of Schitty CS on Jason's end.


Edited by paradoxper - 8/19/12 at 7:02pm
post #63 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Flat out Jason should have you send it in, review it, and replace what needs to replaced. This is the first sign of Schitty CS on Jason's end.

He was gonna let me, but since I didn't buy from them (I bought it secondhand) I was going to pay shipping, and he already told me it was gonna be very expensive. They were going to put a new board in etc. Just on parts alone it would be $150+ then labor and shipping easily $200+. This has just been a waste of my money.

 

Thomas

post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire5003 View Post

He was gonna let me, but since I didn't buy from them (I bought it secondhand) I was going to pay shipping, and he already told me it was gonna be very expensive. They were going to put a new board in etc. Just on parts alone it would be $150+ then labor and shipping easily $200+. This has just been a waste of my money.

 

Thomas

Understood.

This however should have Jason honor a 5 year warranty flat out.

post #65 of 104
Sorry to hear all that. In hindsight, $199 to the amp builder would have gotten you a working amp instead of throwing money at a tech not familiar with the product. I'm sure there are several builders here who would have fixed it for the cost of parts only. Lessons we all learn the hard way, especially when we are impatient.

Oh well, what's done is done and it totally sucks. I feel bad about this. But, don't let it ruin the music for you. In the end, it's a lot of money, but that money can always be made back in the future. One day, you'll get an amp that makes you smile every time you listen to it, and you'll remember why you got into this hobby in the first place.

Some people have taken baths costing thousands from some real crooks around here. It could have been worse for you, which I'm sure doesn't make you feel any better, but still worth mentioning. I got taken for $249 from a crook. I bought new....based on reviews here....but the seller/maker is overseas. I came back and got back into the hobby.
post #66 of 104
The seller of the used amp is the crook here. You have no idea what he did to the amp, and you can't expect Schiit to warranty something that might have been abused by an idiot. I'm not a fanboy or an apologisit, but Jason is not at fault here. And I have been angry and critical at Schiit in the past, so that's saying something. This is clearly on the guy who sold the shotty used amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Understood.
This however should have Jason honor a 5 year warranty flat out.
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

The seller of the used amp is the crook here. You have no idea what he did to the amp, and you can't expect Schiit to warranty something that might have been abused by an idiot. I'm not a fanboy or an apologisit, but Jason is not at fault here. And I have been angry and critical at Schiit in the past, so that's saying something. This is clearly on the guy who sold the shotty used amp.

Ok, you are being way to presumptuous. Why is the seller automatically the "crook?" Furthermore, if the packaging was 

good, box intact, undamaged, then maybe...you raise an eyebrow. But who's to say it just didn't stop working on its own?....

 

I am not saying Jason is at fault, I am simply saying I'm disappointed, that's all.

 

Schiit has provided nothing but stellar CS thus far, of course, they've had their problems..which were fixed.

 

Anyways, sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience for you, Thomas.

post #68 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

The seller of the used amp is the crook here. You have no idea what he did to the amp, and you can't expect Schiit to warranty something that might have been abused by an idiot. I'm not a fanboy or an apologisit, but Jason is not at fault here. And I have been angry and critical at Schiit in the past, so that's saying something. This is clearly on the guy who sold the shotty used amp.

Your right, the seller is now claiming the guy he bought this amp from swindled him, but how can this Valhalla that is so ****ed up work for him before he sold it to me. BS. He is pissing me off. I'm really starting to think about taking this to my job.

post #69 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Ok, you are being way to presumptuous. Why is the seller automatically the "crook?" Furthermore, if the packaging was 

good, box intact, undamaged, then maybe...you raise an eyebrow. But who's to say it just didn't stop working on its own?....

 

I am not saying Jason is at fault, I am simply saying I'm disappointed, that's all.

 

Schiit has provided nothing but stellar CS thus far, of course, they've had their problems..which were fixed.

 

Anyways, sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience for you, Thomas.

Well the box was pretty messed up when I got it, and if you look at my feedback, it reflects on my first impressions. I didn't get to test the amp out for a few days because my HD650 hadn't came in the mail yet. Honestly, this has just been way too much, I tried to save $50 dollars ("B" stock unit is $300) and it cost me about the same, expect I don't have a working amplifier. 

post #70 of 104
You're right, it does seem presumptuous. But, I read enough early is this thread to parsimoniously smell a rat. Something stinks about this amp before and during the sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Ok, you are being way to presumptuous. Why is the seller automatically the "crook?"
post #71 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire5003 View Post

Well the box was pretty messed up when I got it, and if you look at my feedback, it reflects on my first impressions. I didn't get to test the amp out for a few days because my HD650 hadn't came in the mail yet. Honestly, this has just been way too much, I tried to save $50 dollars ("B" stock unit is $300) and it cost me about the same, expect I don't have a working amplifier. 

I must have missed the part about the box being messed up. If the story goes the way you say it does and with Jason being help-less.

Open a dispute with Paypal. Generally the buyer has many rights and it's fairly easy to have a refund awarded.

post #72 of 104
I found the original ad for this amp. The seller claims he only put 5 hours on it after buying it used himself because "life got in the way." I don't buy it. He probably tried passing off his crap because he got screwed on his purchase.

PayPal won't do anything on this case. First, purchases outside of eBay get no protection. Second, the amp was worked on by a tech, negating any rights that may have been there. PayPal could argue the tech broke it, and they'd be correct to press that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I must have missed the part about the box being messed up. If the story goes the way you say it does and with Jason being help-less.
Open a dispute with Paypal. Generally the buyer has many rights and it's fairly easy to have a refund awarded.
post #73 of 104

Wasn't it opened as well, the Valhalla? He could have been trying to mod or tube roll and screwed it up.

post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I found the original ad for this amp. The seller claims he only put 5 hours on it after buying it used himself because "life got in the way." I don't buy it. He probably tried passing off his crap because he got screwed on his purchase.
PayPal won't do anything on this case. First, purchases outside of eBay get no protection. Second, the amp was worked on by a tech, negating any rights that may have been there. PayPal could argue the tech broke it, and they'd be correct to press that.

Ok, not gonna lie, that sounds sketchy. Maybe I missed a few details within this post, I apologize. And feel even worse for ya now.

post #75 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I must have missed the part about the box being messed up. If the story goes the way you say it does and with Jason being help-less.

Open a dispute with Paypal. Generally the buyer has many rights and it's fairly easy to have a refund awarded.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I found the original ad for this amp. The seller claims he only put 5 hours on it after buying it used himself because "life got in the way." I don't buy it. He probably tried passing off his crap because he got screwed on his purchase.
PayPal won't do anything on this case. First, purchases outside of eBay get no protection. Second, the amp was worked on by a tech, negating any rights that may have been there. PayPal could argue the tech broke it, and they'd be correct to press that.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, Gloomfire just passed this POS to me, and I guess your right this is a lesson to be learned. It just shows how flawed a feedback system is, because I would have never purchased from Gloomfire if I knew he had done something like this. I'll do the correct thing, which is to sell this thing for parts or see if Schiit wants it for parts etc. Hodgiy your right, I shouldn't be mad at Schiit, because after all I'm a MOT and make Sennheiser cables. I wouldn't want someone to buy one of my cables secondhand (from a head-fier or etc) and say it was DOA and be forced to eat the cost. My point is I wouldn't want to lose money if I was the manufacturer either. What Gloomfire should have done, provided he was scammed from the dude he bought this Valhalla from, should have sold this as parts. That would be fair to people, especially me, because then I never would have even looked at the listing. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Valhalla Problems! Someone Help!