I have come to a dilema. I can't decided between the Westone UM3x or the Westone 3. Basically I listen to classic rock and alternative music. Queen, Kiss, Muse, The Who, Aerosmith....ect.... I was wondering that what would sound better with an amp and/or if these headphones even require an amp to get their true colours shinning?
Related Forum Threads
- I require fun, fun, FUN! Last post on 10/12/12 at 7:38pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- No IEM is "Perfect" Last post on 9/29/12 at 6:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are the biggest flaws of your favorite iems? Last post on 12/2/13 at 5:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 3, will they satisfy me? Last post on 7/6/12 at 10:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Sennheiser has launched an excellent closed back over ear headphone which has the premium sound of the legendary hd 5 series but instead of the traditional open back design this has a closed back...
I was never a really big fan of on-ear or supra-aural headphones in the past. They always seemed to be uncomfortable or not offer a proper seal granting the full sound or decent noise isolation....
This has been called beats for audiophiles. It has great sound, is neutral and detailed, but they are glossy and fairly fashionable. In general, I like a V shape and listen to hardcore, metal,...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
HELP! Westone 3 vs Westone UM3x
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 68/11/12 at 4:31pm
I can't help you decide between these two, as I have never heard the UM3x, but I do have the Westone 3. They sound a little more clear when I use them out of my O2 amp (with 1x gain), but I honestly don't feel you are missing that much using them straight out of your iPod. I only noticed a difference after 8 hours listening on the amp at work, and then just plugging straight into my iPod on the subway. So the difference between amped and unamped is extremely subtle, at least to me. They are very sensitive and easy to drive, as most IEMs are.
The Westone 3s are known for having a mid-bass hump, they can also come across as a little harsh on some recordings (sibilance). On the whole, I love them and have no desire to get any other IEM. Hopefully someone who has heard both can weigh in and let you know how they compare with the music you like.post #3 of 68/11/12 at 4:55pm
I owned both, at different times, actually one right after the other. I had the UM3x, and bought into the whole - "It's nice but it's too polite" comments. I sold it and got the W3, which was punchier in the bass, brighter on top, and had the wow factor - for about 15 to 30 minutes, then it was just fatiguing. I sold the W3, and moved on to try other things, and have finally settled in with a pair of customs for iem use. If I was ever to go back to universal iem's, I would either get the shure 535 with removable cable, or if the UM3x now comes with a removable cable, I would strongly consider repurchasing it. The 535 and UM3x are different sound signatures, but both are non-fatiguing to me (I actually base my shure comments on the 530) and have pleasant, accurate signatures.
Summary, IMHO of course:
W-3 is bright, full in the mids and punchy / boosted on the bass
UM3x is a more flat, neutral natural sound signature, and one that can be listened to for a longer period of time without fatigue.
If I were buying Westone universals again, I would get the UM3x (only if it has removable cables, the UM3x and W3 have kinda crappy cables), over both the W3 (from experience) and the w4 (from comments I've read - it just doesn't sound like "my" sound preference).post #4 of 68/11/12 at 5:24pmI have owned both as well. Both are excellent earphones. I had um3x first and sold it to get w4...big mistake!!
After the w4 i picked up the w3 and loved it, even more than um3x!
I listen to about 90% rock, maybe similar to you, and imho w3 are amazing iems for ROCK
I found um3x good too, especially for progressive and more complex metal, as you can really hear the different instruments working together. But i think w3 are better rock earphones overall. Their excellent bass and mids just give a lot of life to the music. Um3x does come off as a bit more polite...post #5 of 68/11/12 at 7:27pmpost #6 of 68/11/12 at 8:52pmQuote:
I agree with UM3X for rock, and the recommendations for the W3. But I really did not like the UM3X for classical; I thought its upper mids/treble was not adequate for strings, etc and lack of sound-stage made symphonies claustrophobic. I much prefer the W4 for classical. But yeah, out of the two, I'd pick the UM3X for rock, though the W3 is more exciting of the two, with its bass and treble. It's quite tough deciding! I had the UM3X longer of the two, but if I were to pick one today, it may be the W3, mostly because it would compliment the fantastic mids of my HD650 . The W3 and UM3X actually compliment one another really well.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HELP! Westone 3 vs Westone UM3x
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Your Current Headphone Collection 6 minutes ago
- › New IEM recommendation, over the ear or normal? 6 minutes ago
- › = HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) = 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 9 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 11 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by Sam20
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear